PDA

View Full Version : Swimming problem... can't crank it up! Help!

USMSarah
December 17th, 2004, 04:14 PM
Hello there.

I once (for a while) had this problem when I swam in college and it kinda began up again lately at masters practice.

This happens especially on free and back... I feel as though someone is pushing me back while I swim... I can't get my arms to get going faster as well. With having my shoulder probs, I've been concentrating on technique more and I don't know why I just can't get my arms moving... a little bit before college, my pace was always like a sprint... it's a very strange feeling, and I don't know what to do about it.

I've been lifting light weights and running on an eliptical machine... and that's about it... any opinions about what I should do?

Thanks a bunch... S.

scyfreestyler
December 17th, 2004, 04:43 PM
I was in a bit of a rut before my shoulder injury and taking two weeks off has really changed my feel for the water and my ability to alter my stroke mid-lap. Perhaps going to kick drills for a week might give your upper body some much needed rest, especially your shoulders, and allow you to charge to the head of the pack once again.

USMSarah
December 17th, 2004, 04:51 PM
330man

That's the funny thing... I do a lot of drill work at practice b/c I think it's very important to have a quality stroke. But, when I switch to a "regular" swim set... that's when I get into trouble... maybe it's just because of my darn shoulders (when I got injured... in college... that's when this "tired" thing started).

However, I will definitely take your advice on doing more kicking.

Thanks!

S.

scyfreestyler
December 17th, 2004, 04:59 PM
With shoulder injuries there is something called a point of apprehension. This is where you will avoid movement or movement with stress sub-consciously to avoid pain. Even now, after my shoulder is 95% healed, I still find myself avoiding certain movements as my body is trying to avoid any pain (the point of apprehension). What I am trying to get at in a roundabout fashion is that perhaps your sore shoulders are hindering your workout more than you might realize. Do your sore shoulders limit your Range Of Motion? If so, that may very well be part of your problem.

mattson
December 20th, 2004, 11:05 AM
Are you actually swimming slower, or does it just feel like you are swimming slower? I've had the clock disagree with my perceived swimming speed, both faster and slower.

There is another possibility. You mentioned that you have been working on technique. I remember reading in a book ("Warrior Athlete", or something like that) that when you are improving, it often feels like you are getting worse. That is because you are now aware of mistakes that previously went unnoticed. If you have been stressing streamlining, maybe you now feel when you are swimming like a barge instead of a yacht. :cool:

USMSarah
December 20th, 2004, 06:02 PM
my streamline has been fine all along,

on free and back, i'm trying to stress the entire pull and work on excellent recovery (free)... trying to get a better feel for the water.

when i try to sprint at practice, i just can't get movin... maybe i'm turning into a distance swimmer!!!! aaahhhhh!

maybe my body is protecting itself from further injury or, i'm improving and it is just feeling like i'm going nowhere.

thanks for your advice, ya'll