PDA

View Full Version : 2005 Strait of Messina Swim

Maryyyyyy
December 18th, 2004, 12:37 PM
OK, you've seen me write about, now I'm getting serious...

I've got my new website up for the 2005 Strait of Messina Swim. This is a 3.3KM non-competitive swim in pretty warm water, strong currents. The idea is just to be able to say, "I did it!"

The site's only in Italian now - but take a look! I love the pics of the 2004 swim!

I Swim Italy (http://www.iswimitaly.it/)

The location is fantastic! we stayed in the town of Scilla, on the Calabrian side of the Strait. Great food and wine was enjoyed by all for 3 days...

Here's a description of what the swim's about:

"What makes this swim special?
The Strait of Messina is “only” 3,300 meters at the narrowest point. That’s not so far for an open-water swimmer. What makes this swim special is the fact that the Strait is actually a “funnel” between 2 seas (the Tyrrhenian and the Mediterranean) and this creates particularly strong currents which are called “Cariddi” and “Scilla”. And while in the Mediterranean Sea in general there are not strong tides, in the Strait of Messina there can be.
Due to these facts, in addition to preparing oneself physically for the event with over a year of specific training, one must also make logistical preparations. For the crossing to be successful, the right date and time must be chosen in order to insure favourable tides and currents. Accompanying boats must be coordinated, and permission for the crossing must be obtained from the local port authorities.
Result: a swim which challenges your personal limits, carried out with friends, old and new, who share your common goal – to get to the other side of the Strait!!"

If you're at all interested, send me an email and I'll put you on my mailing list: lokken@nuoto.it

CIAO!

Maryyyyyy
March 12th, 2005, 03:19 AM
We are pleased to inform you that this initiative, the swim across the Strait of Messina scheduled for July 29, 2005, has received the patronage of the United Nations Regional Information office for Western Europe office (RUNIC). This patronage has been approved by Adolf Ogi, Special Adviser of the UN Secretary-General on sport for development and peace, during the International Year of Sport and Physical Education (IYSPE 2005).

For further information regarding the International Year of Sport and Physical Education, please visit the official website:

International Year of Sport and Physical Education (http://www.un.org/sport2005/)

Maryyyyyy
April 9th, 2005, 10:05 AM
:rolleyes: I feel like I'm talking by myself here, but oh well, here we go!

We've already got 51 people signed up for the swim on July 29th 2005, and the maximum limit we set was 40... so we're ready to stroke!:D

Mostly Italians - I was hoping for more people from other parts of the world, but I suppose there are nice swims close to where you are, so that's understandable.

Maybe next year? We've got to do it as much as possible before they build the darn bridge across the Strait of Messina... :mad:

Maryyyyyy
July 30th, 2005, 05:40 PM
WE HAD A GREAT SWIM ON FRIDAY!!

Everything went smoothly - all 58 participants made it safely from Sicily to Calabria. It was a GORGEOUS day, wonderful water, just a few jellyfish... FANTASTIC!

Hope to see some of you next year!

Ciao!
Mary

FindingMyInnerFish
August 4th, 2005, 12:01 PM
Congratulations Mary! I'm still a bit of a distance from that kind of swim...both in skill and geography...but it sounds great! Someday ....

fatboy
August 4th, 2005, 12:19 PM
Mary,
Congratulations on your swim! Sound like it was fun. I will have to put this on my lisy of open water "must do" swims

Maryyyyyy
August 4th, 2005, 10:15 PM
Hope y'all can make it sometime!

If anyone wants to practice their Italian, here's a link to an article on the Italian Swim Site:

NUOTOPUNTOIT (http://www.nuoto.it/leggi.php?leggiID=9091)

BACI!!

Maryyyyyy
August 16th, 2005, 11:04 AM
I'm starting to get pictures! I want to make you all drool with envy!!