PDA

View Full Version : Total Immersion Freestyle Workshop

Dave60625
December 20th, 2004, 01:37 PM
I am about half way through the Fitness Swimming book and am contemplating taking the Total Immersion Freestyle Workshop on Jan 15-16 here in Chicago. I just want to make sure I am learning proper technique and this seems like a good way to correct anything I might not be doing properly.

Has anyone here taken this clinic? If so, I'd appreciate your thoughts, comments, suggestions, etc.

Thanks!

scyfreestyler
December 20th, 2004, 01:42 PM
I was thinking the same thing since the same workshop is coming to California in 2005. I would like to "know" that my technique is proper and well founded but the price for the workshop is a bit prohibitive for me. I just can't justify spending that kind of money. I enjoy swimming immensely and I will continue to enjoy it with good technique or bad. Based upon my stroke count improvement I think my technique is quite solid and I can thank TI's video's and swimfastest.com's video's for that. If you do go, please report back to us. It is possible that an overwhelming amount of praise could sway my opinion.

EDIT: I would also like to add that just because your style of swimming does not satisfy the requirements of Terry Laughlin does not mean that your form is bad or incorrect. There is more than one way to move oneself through the water. The stroke dynamics that move you the fastest with the least amount of effort are the dynamics that you should maintain. Certainly TI has some valid points and I adhere to many of them but I also find some of their ideas to be less than beneficial.

Dave60625
December 20th, 2004, 03:24 PM
I agree that the workshops are pretty expensive. That is part of the reason why I wanted to check to see if anyone has taken the workshop and whether he or she felt it was money well spent.

As to the other part of your reply I definitely agree with what you say. My swimming does seem to continue to improve. On the one hand that is to be expected as I have never swam as often for as long as I have for the past couple months. I think Fitness Swimming fits in pretty closely with the Total Immersion philosophy so I would like to get the feedback of having someone videotape my free form and stroke and give me some feedback. So this seems like a good opportunity to do that.

So I am weighing both those thoughts as I try to decide whether I want to register for the workshop.