PDA

View Full Version : Since we're talking about flip turns...

CCSR79
December 21st, 2004, 08:27 PM
I've been swimming since I was 2 (I lived in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, everyone is a swimmer there), and even though I had a break for a few years due to lack of an affordable pool nearby (ah, the wonders of living in NYC), everything for me is still quite natural, including flip turns. However, I always notice people doing them differently.

I, for one, turn myself over while flipping, so when I come off the wall I'm already to my side almost on my stomach, that's the way I learned and how I remember everyone else did it as well, but I've seen quite a few people doing a complete flip, coming off the wall on their backs then turning to their stomachs.

So, I'm curious, what is your flip turn style?

Fred Johnson
December 21st, 2004, 10:24 PM
The same as yours. That's how I learned them as well.

Seagurl51
December 21st, 2004, 11:55 PM
I flip and when I finish I'm facing the wall with my feet up even with the top of my head (or at least that is the goal..often doesn't work that way :) ), and then push off and turn at the same time.

~Kyra

Guvnah
December 22nd, 2004, 02:37 PM
After I flip and my feet hit the wall, I am on my back. I use the push off to get a little twist, and I rotate to the side I will breathe on (my right side, a 90 degree turn.) I do one pull with my right arm when I start to lose momentum under water, then I break the surface, take a breath and start recovering my right arm and pulling with my left. And off I go! (This generally gets me at least one body length past the backstroke flags.)

I used to rotate as I flipped. That was the standard method in the 70s when I was swimming as a kid. I find that takes longer to flip. But I also find that when I am tired and getting sloppy, I do some rotation on the flip. When I do that, I end up hitting the wall much deeper with my feet, and I can't imagine that being a better thing.

fatboy
December 22nd, 2004, 03:01 PM
I learned in the 70's too, in high school, so I rotate during the turn as well. Haven't spent the time to learn the newer style. Hard to un-learn old habits. Also, I always end up on my left side no matter which arm I start the turn with.

CCSR79
December 22nd, 2004, 03:26 PM
I learned in the 80's, I guess that's how it was back then. Can't do the other one for the life of me, if I do a complete flip, I lose too much time, push off the wall too deep and can never seem to get on the right direction, I'm always sort of diagonal...

swimshark
December 22nd, 2004, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by CCSR79
I've been swimming since I was 2 (I lived in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, everyone is a swimmer there),

Carla, when did you live in Rio? My dad grew up there in the 40's and a bit in the 50's. He went to an American school there (can't remember the name now). My parents are planning on taking us there for a 2-week trip so we can see where my dad grew up.

I don't think he swam competively in Rio but he played soccer and competes in USMS now (he's 64).

Alison

CCSR79
December 22nd, 2004, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by swimshark
Carla, when did you live in Rio?

Hi Alison,

I was born in Rio, so lived there from 79-90, then went back to Rio in 97 for half a year. My family is from Rio though, so have always gone back to visit.

You should definitely go visit, it's a beautiful city! Have your father gone back there since then? The city has certainly changed a lot since the 50's! If you do go, aside from visiting the usual tourist sites, try to go to Buzios, a couple of hours from the city, but has dozens of gorgeous beaches! And in the city of Rio, the best beach is Barra (most tourists usually end up in Copacabana or Ipanema...)

Carla

swimshark
December 23rd, 2004, 10:50 AM
Hi Alison,

I was born in Rio, so lived there from 79-90, then went back to Rio in 97 for half a year. My family is from Rio though, so have always gone back to visit.

You should definitely go visit, it's a beautiful city! Have your father gone back there since then? The city has certainly changed a lot since the 50's! If you do go, aside from visiting the usual tourist sites, try to go to Buzios, a couple of hours from the city, but has dozens of gorgeous beaches! And in the city of Rio, the best beach is Barra (most tourists usually end up in Copacabana or Ipanema...)

Carla

My dad would love to chat with you! He still speaks the language although he's a bit rusty after so many years of being away. He has not been back sine he left some time around 1955 or so.

My parents are planning 5 days in Rio, then a trip to Iguasu Falls (sp?) and another town that I can't remember right now before heading back to Rio and then to Buzios. I believe we're staying in Copacabana in Rio. The plans are still being made and the trip is on hold for a year since I'm expecting a baby in March. We'll wait until he's old enough to stay with family so we can go to Rio. The wholetrip is going to be about 14 days, though. I can't wait!

CCSR79
December 24th, 2004, 04:31 PM
Your parents definitely have a good itinerary planned! Iguašu Falls is absolutely gorgeous -- puts Niagara Falls to shame, that's for sure! Copacabana is definitely nice as well, close to everything, but make sure to visit the beach in Barra, not too far away from it. You'll certainly have a lot of fun!

If your dad hasn't been back to Rio since 1955, things certainly look very different! My mother moved to Rio in '58 when she was 4, and I hear a lot of stories of how it used to be. Barra didn't even exist back then! You'll definitely have great fun! You'll love B˙zios, I'm glad that you were already planning a visit there. For something like $20 you can take a boat ride stopping at various beaches in B˙zios, where you just dive off the boat and swim to the shore, it's great!

swimshark
December 27th, 2004, 10:51 AM
Your parents definitely have a good itinerary planned! Iguašu Falls is absolutely gorgeous -- puts Niagara Falls to shame, that's for sure! Copacabana is definitely nice as well, close to everything, but make sure to visit the beach in Barra, not too far away from it. You'll certainly have a lot of fun!

If your dad hasn't been back to Rio since 1955, things certainly look very different! My mother moved to Rio in '58 when she was 4, and I hear a lot of stories of how it used to be. Barra didn't even exist back then! You'll definitely have great fun! You'll love B˙zios, I'm glad that you were already planning a visit there. For something like $20 you can take a boat ride stopping at various beaches in B˙zios, where you just dive off the boat and swim to the shore, it's great!

Thanks for the advice Carla. I'm really looking forward to the trip. I'll let you know what exactly we're doing when the time gets closer.

PS: love the chick in the cap and goggles!!