PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping on a bad shoulder is bad business!!

scyfreestyler
December 22nd, 2004, 12:38 PM
So my shoulder was well on it's way to recovery but Monday night I woke up several times lying on my left side with my shoulder in pain. All day yesterday and into last night my whole shoulder was aching. I made a "conscious" effort to sleep on my back and stomach last night and this morning I am much improved. Has anybody else had problems like this?

blairbecky
December 22nd, 2004, 12:44 PM
I also have the same problem. I'm a late starter to this swimming business. All my life I have slept on my left side. After swimming for awhile I would wake up with a strong pain in that shoulder and it would ache the rest of the day. I finally just trained myself to sleep on the right side. It took a couple of nights of discomfort but I think your body figures it out after awhile. It has also helped my shoulder heal. Not any great advice here but just to let you know it happened to me too.

scyfreestyler
December 22nd, 2004, 12:59 PM
Thanks, sometimes knowing that others are suffering makes the pain a bit easier to deal with. :)

CCSR79
December 22nd, 2004, 01:14 PM
You know one of those "memory foams" mattress tops? My friend bought one of those when she was pregnant, as she used to wake up with shoulder pain as well from having to sleep on her side, and she was really excited when she got one of those because it eased off a lot of the pressure she was putting on her shoulders at night.

They're a bit expensive, about $80 to $100 for the 2" ones, but they might be a good investment...

laineybug
December 22nd, 2004, 05:42 PM
I've also heard, maybe in one of these threads, that you shouldn't sleep with your hands/elbows/arms above your head. Imagine lying on your back with a hand resting on the pillow above your head. I'm guilty of this every now and then, but I'm not prone to shoulder problems and haven't experienced any ill effects from sleeping like this.

msgrupp
December 22nd, 2004, 09:21 PM
I think I'm the one who posted about sleeping with your elbow no higher than your shoulder. In fact--below your shoulder is probably what I said.

Long time shoulder "victim". I find that if I sleep on my stomach with a pillow (long ways) under my left arm/shoulder (the shoulder kinda rests on the corner of the pillow)--it prevents arm "creep".

I've learned to sleep, if on my stomach, with both arms well below my shoulders. In fact, the right arm is usually palm up besides me and the left is on the extra pillow. If sleeping on my side (which I had to learn post-op)--I sleep on the right with the left arm draped/wrapped around the same "extra" pillow.

It might pay to look into buying some of the newer pillows. I see that some are now marked specifically for back, side or stomach sleepers and have different "heights". Personally--I have a tummy pillow (low) and a side pillow (higher) and move around the pillows depending on how I'm sleeping.

scyfreestyler
December 22nd, 2004, 09:57 PM
Thanks for all the feedback. There is nothing worse than an injury that just won't go away. Especially if your sleep habits tend to aggravate the problem.

Edward The Head
December 23rd, 2004, 11:01 AM
I have this problem as well, though it doesn't do much to my swimming unless it's really bad. I guess I should try and not put my right arm above my head and see if that helps.

Alicat
December 23rd, 2004, 11:12 AM
Yea, I tend to sleep with my arm above my head via under my pillow, I hate the idea of trying to break the habit. I suppose I should invest in a pillow that would raise my head more. The redesigned should the doctor gave me would benefit in the long run...