PDA

View Full Version : Do you swim with a group or go it alone?

Frosty
December 26th, 2004, 09:51 PM
Not a scientific poll...but simply a gauge of whether the members of the forum participate in regular, organized swims.

tjrpatt
December 26th, 2004, 10:21 PM
I swim all over the place. I have a workout group during the week with my local gym. I will sometimes do an additional workout on my own once a week and swim with another workout group once a week.

CCSR79
December 26th, 2004, 10:54 PM
Don't know any other swimmers here and the master's team by my area has workouts too late in the morning (I start work at 7:15am which doesn't help) or too late at night and about 15 miles away (when you start work that early, you wake up even earlier!) so I'm always swimming alone, at a gym on my way from work to home (I get to skip the highway traffic that way too, woohoo!)

Seagurl51
December 27th, 2004, 12:59 AM
I swim on my own or sometimes with some friends, but I usually end up teaching them technique and not getting in a good workout. I swam with a team over the holidays, and it was fun, not mention the pool was FABULOUS!!! (props to the King County Aquatic Center, you have a lovely pool!!) I liked being able to try and pace myself with the other people. That is one drawback of being unattached, you swim by yourself and that can sometimes get boring. So to all those you are unattached, keep going!!

Sparky
December 28th, 2004, 12:43 AM
I not only swim alone, I swim in a 20-yard pool. Limitations of an otherwise excellent health club, alas. I'm not sure anyone else at my club who swims in the insanely early hours has any interest in starting their morning with 150 lengths. That's a lot of flip turns!

Seriously, the one time I practiced with a Master's team, it was great. I just can't fit it into my schedule, alas.

Frosty
December 28th, 2004, 05:38 AM
CCSR79, I know what you mean about swimming and working inside the Beltway!

scooter
December 28th, 2004, 08:11 AM
I mostly swim alone. Besides being in the pool at 6:30am, I have a 45 minute commute to work. Fortunately, my pool is next to work, so I have no reason not to go. There is a group of people in the early morning that help each other out, so it's not like you are totally alone.

CCSR79
December 28th, 2004, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by Frosty
CCSR79, I know what you mean about swimming and working inside the Beltway!

Good to know I'm not the only one! Even when I'm too tired to go swimming after work I think about the alternative: being stuck in traffic... Talk about motivation!

craiglll@yahoo.com
December 28th, 2004, 12:14 PM
I live in a small town. I've lived in DC & St. Louis. I swim alone in Galesubrg & St. Luios. DC metro area has some great team with people of many levels. I truly miss Marie Reed poll in Adams Morgan. It is the best pool to swimin during a snow storm!!!!!!

Seagurl51
December 29th, 2004, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by Sparky
I not only swim alone, I swim in a 20-yard pool. Limitations of an otherwise excellent health club, alas. I'm not sure anyone else at my club who swims in the insanely early hours has any interest in starting their morning with 150 lengths. That's a lot of flip turns!

Seriously, the one time I practiced with a Master's team, it was great. I just can't fit it into my schedule, alas.

If you want to swim in an AMAZING POOL(!!!!) check out the Master's team in Federal Way, (if you're not to far from there.) They have a lot of practices that seems like it would work with most schedules. And did I mention the pool!!!! That is the nicest pool I have ever seen!! It's beautiful!! Even if you can't swim regularly with the team, take a day off and go to swim in the pool. (Weyerheasuer (sp) King County Aquatic Center.....fabulous FaBuLoUs FABULOUS pool!!!)

~Kyra

suares
December 31st, 2004, 08:11 PM
I have the benefit of working out with about 4-6 Masters swimmers at the same time as the university womens' distance team practices. Wow! what a delite. Of course, we have a different work out.
It's a private university, so we pay alot to be there. In fact, I think the six of us pay most of the heating bill: $60.00 a month with no coaching attention. we have to be there at 5:00 am and get three lanes to ourselves of a 16 lane pool.

It's expensive, but it's working.

Perkunas
January 3rd, 2005, 01:50 PM
I swim alone and miss the "push" of swimming with other people. Unfortunately the masters swimming near me is in the evening when I'd rather be at home with my wife and three children. I can find some other swimmers in the morning, most seem interested in swimming 100 free repeats. Open Water Swims are my thing now; these are quite a change from my competitive background in 'fly and IM. I tell myself that swimming alone is good preparation for the "isolated" experience of open water events. My swimming "goal" now is simply demonstrating to my children that I swim too (not just haul them to swim classes). My family attends when I swim an open water event, and we all enjoy the day at the beach. Granted my swims are likely slower for training alone, but the other rewards are much greater.

Guvnah
January 3rd, 2005, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by suares
... $60.00 a month with no coaching attention. ... It's expensive, but it's working.

I pay $69/month at my YMCA (going up to $72 starting this month.) It's for a family membership, not individual, so it covers me and my wife together, plus any of my kids who decide they want to take a dip.

In my opinion, $60 isn't that outrageous -- especially if it gets you what you need/want in a facility and time slots.

Sparky
January 3rd, 2005, 08:06 PM
I agree. That actually sounds like a pretty sweet setup. Actually, my pool costs about the same, and I haven't found a similar group of like-minded swimmers who want to workout together. But it's a clean pool, open flexibl hours and rarely too crowded to complete a workout.
The only drawback is I can't swing a Masters membership and my gym fees.

Whatever system works for you. If it gets you in the pool, that's all that matters.

Later,

Sparky

suares
January 3rd, 2005, 10:41 PM
It's good to know that $60.00 / month seems reasonable. It's worth it to me.

I should say, however, that the local gyms (Baily's & 24 Hour Fitness) are significantly less: but the water is polluted.
Also, we pay an additional $60.00/month for my daugher to swim age group at the same pool. No family break.

Guvnah
January 4th, 2005, 01:22 PM
suares -- I have yet to find a good Bally's or 24-Hour-Fitness pool. They're more into machines. The pools always seem like an afterthought.