PDA

View Full Version : 2005 World Masters Games - Entry Fees

ALM
December 27th, 2004, 11:55 AM
I was looking at the website for the 2005 World Masters Games in Edmonton (www.2005worldmasters.com). If I'm reading it correctly, it looks like the entry fee is about $150.00 in US dollars. That's for one sport; there are add-on fees for those who wish to participate in more than one sport.

This sounds high to me, but I've never been to a "world" meet before. Is this a typical entry fee for this type of event?

Rob Copeland
December 28th, 2004, 08:58 AM
Anna Lea

It sounds high to me as well. However, if you look at what it costs to go to the meet (airfare, hotel, car, food), the $150 for pool and open water swimming only accounts for a small (but significant) amount of the total package.

I guess weíll need to wait and see if $150 is more than our swimmers want to spend for one meet. I donít plan to attend this time, but itís not because of the cost.

fatboy
December 28th, 2004, 10:11 AM
I think you have to look at what you get for the $150. I looked at the website and it lists a lot of benefits for the entry fee, including free public transportation in Edmonton, preferred seating to events, goody bag, etc.

You also have to remember that they have to pay for the pool, timing equipment and officials. It may be a bit steep, but it doesn't sound unreasonable to me considering what it pays for.

What do you think it SHOULD cost?

born2fly
December 28th, 2004, 10:35 AM
Anyone know what the maximum number of individual events you can swim is at the World's? For some reason I thought it was 5 instead of 6 like at long course nat's but can't find any info on it.

Thanks in advance,
greg

ALM
December 28th, 2004, 11:52 AM
I don't think this is the same as the World Masters Swimming Championships. This is the World Masters Games, which covers a whole bunch of sports, not just swimming. And it's all-inclusive - there are no qualifying times. (I wouldn't ever be able to participate in "Masters Worlds", because I wouldn't be able to make the qualifying times.)

Also, this meet allows swimmers to swim relays with anyone they want - the relay team members don't have to be from the same Masters club.

The $150 entry fee includes 5 individual events, 4 relays, and the open water swim.

In response to the question of how much I think it should cost, I don't really know; that's why I asked. I just don't remember USMS Masters Nationals costing anywhere near that price, and it's probably at least as big of a meet.