PDA

View Full Version : Hawaii Motel Reservations

Nate
February 2nd, 2002, 04:10 PM
Yesterday, I made my reservations at the Outrigger Reef for the upcoming Nationals. Much to my surprise, I found that the "special rate" for the Standard Room on their web page was $7/night cheaper than that offered for the USMS Group Rate. So I booked online for the Special Rate.

When I then talked to the woman who handles Group Reservations, she said that she had just become aware of the issue and was thinking about extending the Special Rate to the USMS people. Duh!! Seems like she will like or not once the word gets out.

JRenner
February 13th, 2002, 12:55 AM
Aloha Nate,

Thank you so much for posting that onto the discussion forum, and I'm sorry you were the one to have to find out the hard way for us there was a discrepency in the Outriggers reservation system. We have since rectified all the reservations effected (29) and all have been sent revised confirmations. (This should include you also). Apparently after 9/11 Outrigger Reef Hotel issued special rates, which they have extended into 2002. Following are the revised rates per Outrigger:

Standard Rooms, Double occupancy $110 (if we book triple using this rate,
the rate would be $147)
Standard Rooms, Triple occupancy $117 (this is the contracted rate)

If you have any questions, please do contact myself or Amy Patz at patz@hawaii.edu

Again, my apologies, but thank you for bringing it to our attention.

Warm Aloha,
Janet Renner
Co-Meet Director
2002 USMS National SC Championships

breastroker
February 16th, 2002, 01:46 AM
Janet,

As a crazy breaststroker can you help me with some information?

What kind of starting blocks are at championship? I need to know if they are the plastic kind with slick groves, or the fiberglas kind with lots of sand in the paint.

Are all the starting blocks the same, with two courses running at the same time?

Reason is if the blocks have good friction I will go back to a track start, but if they are the slippery plastic kind I will work on my grab start.

Thanks
Wayne McCauley

Clifford-Dicks
February 20th, 2002, 03:09 PM
I am looking forward to the upcoming nationals you are hosting. I have a few questions regarding your pool. Will there be a bulkhead seperating 2 sides of the pool? Or will it be like it was in Santa Clara, California where there were 20 lanes running across with no divider. Also, are your timing pads new or old? With good traction? I just swam a meet where every backstroke start and turn I slipped. I apreciate your feedback. See you in May!!!!!!!!

Gail Roper
February 20th, 2002, 05:07 PM
I would like to know the depth of the pool, is it the same in all lanes? Thanks

JRenner
February 20th, 2002, 07:09 PM
Aloha Wayne, Barbara and Gail,

Hope you don't mind if I answer you all at once.

Wayne - the blocks have great traction and they are brand new. I forget the brand and am not at the pool. They are really nice.

Barbara & Gail - we have two pools that are deemed equal by USMS. Within each of the pools the depths are the same across all 8 lanes. In the 50 meter pool, the 8 racing lanes will have a buffer lane on either side with 3-4 warm up lanes on either side. The timing pads are not slick and in very good shape.

I think that answers you all. If not please let me know.

Warm Aloha,
Janet Renner
Co-Meet Director

Gail Roper
February 20th, 2002, 07:38 PM
Oh, two pools. I would still like to know the depth of both pools that are the same across all lanes. Are both pools the same depth?

Philip Arcuni
February 20th, 2002, 07:57 PM
Is it easy to keep the water temperature within competition requirements? That is, does it get cool enough at night that you heat the pool(s), or do you need to add cold water? Sorry, but I have never been to Hawaii before.

JRenner
February 20th, 2002, 08:03 PM
Aloha Gail and Philip,

The 50 meter pool depth is 7' throughout each of the competition lanes and shallower for the warm up lanes.
The 25 yard pool depth is 7' to 17' and is the same for each lane.

We do use heaters in the winter, but not necessary generally in the summer.

Janet

Gail Roper
February 20th, 2002, 10:52 PM
It seems like you will use the diving well for one course and the deep end of the 50 meter pool for the other course. The diving well going down to 17' and faster than the other pool at 7'. Do you plan to switch the men and women during the meet?

JRenner
February 21st, 2002, 04:11 PM
Aloha Again Philip and Gail,

Philip - the heater is generally not needed during that time of year, and the pool is kept cool enough without needing to add cool water to it.

Gail - the courses are deemed equal per USMS rules, and therefore we will have the odd heats in one pool and the even heats in the other throughout the meet. Also fyi - in the 50 meter pool the racing lanes are in the center of the pool with the warm up lanes on either side. This pool is configured that at either end of the 50 meter lengths it is shallower and the middle portion of the pool is 7'.

Hope this further clarifys things for you.

Janet

Philip Arcuni
February 21st, 2002, 05:43 PM
Thank you, Janet, for addressing my concern about the water temperature. It is nice weather that results in a pool with competition temperature without heating or cooling. In Florida, (and Pennsylvania in August) I have been in several outdoor pools that could use some cooling.

As for Gail's concern, I have two points:

First, while the rules may say the pools are identical, Gail's response will be shared by many others - the pools will not seem equal, either physically (effects of depth, tilted pool bottom) or psychologically (17' is a lot different to dive into or swim over than 7', and many of us like to 'psych' by visualizing each step of the race before we get to the blocks). I do not know if the rules actually address the issue of equivalence of pools that are shared in a single event. Rather, they probably specify requirements for sanctioning, records, and top ten (OK, I will check after I post this). Many very different pools can satisfy those requirements.

Second, turning at a wall where the depth is 17' is a lot different than turning at one that is 7' deep, because of the visual cues that are used to determine the distance to the wall. As I recall from Santa Clara, the warmups are crowded, and we will not know which pool we will swim in during that warmup. That will make getting a feel for the pools during the warmup more difficult. It would be easier if we knew in which pool our event would be held.

Sandi Rousseau
February 22nd, 2002, 02:37 PM
Hi Phil,

The rule book states that when two courses are unequal in any way, male and female swimmers shall alternate courses by days. Historically the Championship Committee has deemed courses "equal" in depth for competition purposes if both courses are at least 7 feet throughout the course. This is the case in Hawaii, so the meet information has been published with the statement that women's heats will precede men's heats.

This is not written in stone for the future if it is decided to alter this policy, but it has been a consistent policy for some time now. The other advantage for running all women's heats before men's is that the timeline will be shorter for each day.

I totally understand your comments regarding warming up in the pool in which your event will be swum. Since we started deck seeding the entire meet, this is not possible to predict. So in a situation like Hawaii, it will behoove all of us to warm up in both pools to be totally familiar with the perspective in that pool.

Sandi Rousseau
Championship Committee Liaison to Hawaii Nationals

Clifford-Dicks
February 26th, 2002, 10:38 AM
Is there no bulk head seperating the two pools? Sorry to bother you again-Barbara:rolleyes:

JRenner
February 26th, 2002, 06:03 PM
Hi Barbara,

We have two separate pools adjacent to each other we will be using for the meet. One of the pools is in a 50 meter pool. The racing lanes will be in the middle portion of the 50 meter pool with a buffer lane between the racing lanes and the warm up area. We will have a platform on one side for the officials.

Hope this clarifies.

Janet Renner
Co - Meet Director