PDA

View Full Version : How often/what kind of dry land do you do?

Seagurl51
December 29th, 2004, 08:18 PM
I really need to do dryland. I don't do any right now except for shoulder exercises and the occasional sit-up (I tend to count my job as a server at a busy restuarant as my dryland...not good). So I was wondering what everybody else did for their dryland and how often you do it? I need some ideas to help with just general strength training to help my speed. I swim about 2000 yds everyday (I'm upping this too) and I'm still pretty slow (and I'm trying to at least make qualifying times for a meet even if I don't have too), so I figured I really do have to do some strength training at this point. Thanx a bundle!

~Kyra

Fred Johnson
December 29th, 2004, 10:39 PM
You may try some light weight, high rep weight training to strengthen back muscles, lats, triceps and abs (all pretty important swimming muscles). Rows (back), pull downs (lats), reverse curls (triceps) and crunches (abs) hit these areas. Come to think of it, maybe I'll try some.

mjtyson
December 30th, 2004, 09:01 AM
I've been doing a workout from the book Core Performance by Mark Vestegen. It's the only weight program I've been able to follow, EVER. I've been doing it for about 7-8 months now, and have experienced noticeable changes and improvements in my fitness.

The workouts consist of a few areas: Movement Prep, which is like an active stretching/warm-up. Pre-Hab, which is an injury preventive, and mostly deals with your "core": shoulders, abs, and hips. Physioball, or the swiss ball, on which you do many workouts designed to strengthen your core. Strength training, which has always been the part that has bored me and made me quit, but this strength workout is fun and I am seeing results. Also, the workouts changed every 3-4 weeks, so by the time I'm starting to get bored of them, I get to change.

There's also an endurance component, for which I swim, and an eating component.

I've noticed my kick improve, presumably from the workouts that the book has me doing to strengthen my hips/core area. It's a workout I would suggest to anyone wanting to improve all-around fitness, and especially swimming fitness.

Cheers,
Mike

PS They have a website: http://www.coreperformanceprogram.com/uof/coreperformanceprogram/?source=rodale

Seagurl51
December 30th, 2004, 01:16 PM
That Core Performance book sounds like a good investment (for a college student 20 bucks is an investment :) ) Maybe I'll look into that. Do you have to have any other equipment though, like a ball or anything?

What about doing circuit training at the gym? Does anyone have any experience with this? Thanx!

~Kyra

bitwiz
December 30th, 2004, 01:45 PM
Following should get you started, it's geared towards shoulders primarily, but it does cover more than that.
Shoulder Injury Prevention:
http://www.usaswimming.org/USASWeb/ViewMiscArticle.aspx?TabId=445&Alias=Rainbow&Lang=en-US&mid=700&ItemId=700

Since you are a student, if you do have access to the gym at your school make use of it. Just do a general weight program for a while to get your tendons and muscles used to it. Twice a week should be enough on top of swimming. http://www.exrx.net is a good site to look up exercise stuff...

If you don't have access to the gym do body weight exercises like pushups, pull ups/chin ups, dips, squats and lunges and maybe some ab work, do them in a circuit, a set of pushups followed by a set of pullups, set of squats, set of crunches and repeat few times.
I do these whenever I'm away from the gym and need a workout, or if a day is really nice and I don't want to be inside I do them at the local park (pullups of the tree branch)...

Regular weight training might make you a faster swimmer ( I think it will, but don't want to start a flamefest), it will make you feel better and it will help with your stay on your feet all day job.

Just remembered GordoWorld. Go to http://www.byrn.org/gtips/gtips.htm and scroll to Strenght Training section, there are some nice workouts and exercises explained there...

Seagurl51
December 31st, 2004, 11:15 AM
Is it okay to do dryland and swim on the same day? Like can I swim in the morning and do weights in the afternoon, or will that just kill my muscles, or would it be good, since then I would be swimming everday and also strength training like twice a week?

~Kyra

Matthias
December 31st, 2004, 11:22 AM
Well I would do the weighttraining before my swim workout if I have no other chance than swim and weighttrain the same day.
After swimming I'm not able of completing my strength training programm. It's just too hard than.
So I find it easier to do the weight training before swimming. But you should be aware of your muscles then. It's likely that your weaker muscles could cramp druing swim (happend to me - that's why I try to avoid strength training and swimming all the same day).

swimmer_steph
January 6th, 2005, 06:57 PM
I can only tell you what I do...

I swim freestyle Monday through Saturday - usually about 2 and 1/2 miles p/day .

On M, W & F I also lift weights and add in another form of cardio - usually the elliptical. I just feel better when I strength train AND do cardio. I've been using this book (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1578260868/qid=1105055600/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/102-3760292-8671367?v=glance&s=books) and I'm seeing positive results.

Seagurl51
January 6th, 2005, 07:35 PM
Thanks for all the responses! I just ordered a yoga for athletes video so hopefully that will help. I really like yoga and I know that it's really good for you, plus the description of the video listed swimming as one of the target sports that the video would help! I'm definately gonna have to check out some of those other books too...but I just had to pay my fees for school so now I'm broke:mad: !! Thanks again!!

~Kyra

tjrpatt
January 15th, 2005, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by Seagurl51
Is it okay to do dryland and swim on the same day? Like can I swim in the morning and do weights in the afternoon, or will that just kill my muscles, or would it be good, since then I would be swimming everday and also strength training like twice a week?

~Kyra

I would lift and then swim if you can. My college coach had us swim and then lift and I don't think that it worked well for me. Besides, you sweat from the lifting and then, you cool off in the pool.