PDA

View Full Version : New USMS Swimmer in Tucson

Kae1
December 30th, 2004, 11:24 AM
OK, so after finally getting back into the pool after grad school, and settling down into a new job in Tucson (it only took 4 years), I joined Arizona Masters (got my card in the mail just the other day). Due to my schedule, the practices at Hillenbrand are not really accessible, and there are other issues as well with swimming there. So, I was wondering if any of the other Tucson swimmers were using the pool at the new Eastside LA Fitness?

Just thought it would be nice to meet some others down here and maybe find a workout buddy that can nudge me into icreasing my workouts more frequently than I am now.

Happy New Year!

Kae

Nancy Graham
December 30th, 2004, 12:16 PM
Hi Kae, This does not really respond to you request for workout buddies. I am probably going to be in Tucson for a week in February, and am wondering if there is someplace to do an open water swim. I (obviously) know nothing about Tucson -- or any other part of AZ, so would appreciate any inforemation you may be able to pass my way.

Is water temp there warm enough for a swim? Would a wetsuit be needed?

Thanks for any tips,

Nancy

Kae1
January 2nd, 2005, 09:46 PM
Nancy,
I'm pretty new to Tucson, too, and the only open-water swim I've ever done was in Tempe Town Lake last fall; an experience I plan never to repeat.

I don't think there are any places for open-water swimming near Tucson, and the water would be pretty cold in February. We've had some hard freezes down here already this winter (at night - it's always above freezing during the day). I'm not even sure where the closest lakes would be. I understand it's only about 3 hours drive to some Mexican beaches, though :-)

Kae

Nancy Graham
January 2nd, 2005, 10:43 PM
Thanks Kae. I guess I will stick to my plan of cycling the environs. And of course there is always run/walking in the area.

Thanks for the reply.

Nancy

Darby
June 13th, 2005, 02:56 PM
Sorry,just learning how to work this program.

Kae,

I am a new swimmer and wondered what you meant by "other issues at Hilldebrandt." I am considering working out there.

Thanks-
Darby

Kae1
June 13th, 2005, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by Darby
Sorry,just learning how to work this program.

Kae,

I am a new swimmer and wondered what you meant by "other issues at Hilldebrandt." I am considering working out there.

Thanks-
Darby

Nothing scary, really. Mostly the issues were parking and time. I work 6:30-5:00, so the morning session ends too late, the evening session starts too late and I don't want to swim at noon because I'd have to extend my work schedule and be at the office an hour and a half later (or earlier) than normal, and because (due to several severe sunburns earlier in life) I really shouldn't be swimming outdoors in the middle of the day. I've heard really wonderful things about Hillenbrand and wish I could work it into my schedule. There's also the cost issue - I'm already in a contract at the LA Fitness and can't really afford the extra cost of the Ford team.

I am thinking about trying to re-examine my schedule to try to make it there for workouts. Just haven't figured it out yet. I really like my work schedule right now, so it's a matter of making some sacrifices.

If you don't wind up at Hillenbrand, there are some really great pools in Tucson to swim in.

Kae

mbmg3282
June 15th, 2005, 08:50 PM
Darby,

I highly recommend the masters program at the University of Arizona (Hillenbrand Aquatic Center). Jim Stites is the head coach there and he runs excellent workouts. I coached against Jim for 5 years and have nothing but respect for him and his program. You can find more information about the Ford Aquatics Masters Swimming at http://www.users.qwest.net/~swim1/

Good luck.

Kae1
June 20th, 2005, 11:49 AM
I attended my first swim meet in 15 years this weekend - the Brute Squad Meet at Oro Valley, where I got a chance to meet some of the Ford Aquatics swimmers. Everyone was really nice, and very friendly. I had a great time and can't wait to do it again. Even though my schedule currently doesn't let me get to regulard workouts at Hillenbrand, I'm going to try to make a way around that and try to get there maybe once a week.

The only thing I would have done differently is swallowed my pride and asked a stranger to get sunscreen on my back - 'cause I seemed to have missed a chunk in the middle (ouch!).

Kae

Darby
June 20th, 2005, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by mbmg3282
Darby,

I highly recommend the masters program at the University of Arizona (Hillenbrand Aquatic Center). Jim Stites is the head coach there and he runs excellent workouts. I coached against Jim for 5 years and have nothing but respect for him and his program. You can find more information about the Ford Aquatics Masters Swimming at http://www.users.qwest.net/~swim1/

Good luck.