PDA

View Full Version : Swim Golf

Dave60625
December 30th, 2004, 12:19 PM
I have started to do some Swim Golf exercises during my training and have a better score than I could ever hope to have as a golfer. I typically score anywhere from 69 to 76 depending on how tired I am.

I typically take 14 strokes on the first 25 yds and then 16 on the backside (due to not getting a really strong pushoff on my flip turn). I typically swim the 50 yards in right around 40 seconds. When I start to tire it goes up to 43, 44...you get the idea.

Does anyone else do swim golf exercises? If so, how many strokes do you tend to take during each length? Whenever I try to reduce the stroke count my time tends to go up. I think 12 or 13 may be feasible as I can do those stroke counts for 25 yards but I am not sure if those types of stroke counts will be conducive to also cutting down the time it takes me to cover the 50 yards.

scolopax
December 30th, 2004, 12:47 PM
we do a 'golf' set with breaths rather than strokes. 18 x 50 on 1 minute. Par is 2 breaths a 50

Dave60625
December 31st, 2004, 10:23 AM
WOW...I'm definitely not ready for 2 breaths per 50, much less 18 reps. I'll look at that as a long, long term goal!

I was able yesterday to get down to 26 - 28 strokes. And time wise I was able to hit 41 seconds pretty consistently. So it was a decent net drop in strokes with only a minimal gain in time.

I'll probably never hit the high 40s score I've heard are possible but low 60s might be feasible.

born2fly
December 31st, 2004, 11:39 AM
We do a golf set where you are broken into teams, and either play 9 or 18 50's. What we do is for each 50 you must be in within 1 second of your personal best time. So lets say your best 50 is 24 seconds and you swim between a 24.0 to 25.0 you get a par, andthing over 25 is a bogey and anything under a 24 is a birdie.

The winners always get to go play shark and minnows and well the losers get to do a butterfly set.

Golf swimming is always fun and teammates definitely get ya fired up.

Happy New Year,
greg

fatboy
December 31st, 2004, 06:41 PM
How do you play "Sharks and Minnows"?

Alicat
January 1st, 2005, 12:25 PM
It's like "tag" but in the water. The swimmers (minnows) swim from one side to the pool to the other and the one swimmer in the middle (the shark) "tags" the minnow. Then that swimmer/minnow becomes a shark. This continues until all the minnows are sharks. The last Minnow wins! --and some say will become the shark for the next game...

One can swim across the pool anyway they see fit with the exception of getting out of the water. So underwater all the way, sprint all the way, any combination is OK. Some play sharks and minnows the length of the pool while others play the width of the pool!

mattson
January 2nd, 2005, 07:02 AM
Originally posted by Alicat
It's like "tag" but in the water. The swimmers (minnows) swim from one side to the pool to the other and the one swimmer in the middle (the shark) "tags" the minnow. Then that swimmer/minnow becomes a shark.

Depending on how family friendly you want to make it, it can either be tag anywhere, or you have to tag at the surface. (The latter means that sharks will wrestle minnows to the top. That is the primary reason why most minnows go silent and deep.)

DAP
January 2nd, 2005, 01:48 PM
At one practice, the coach brought a bunch of golf balls. We had to swim with a golf ball in each hand. It was a version of a "fist drill" with the added incentive to not open the hands and to not drop the balls. Golf balls sink and roll, and if you dropped a ball, you had to fetch it from the deep end.

Not quite the same thing as "swim golf". ;)

Rnovitske
January 4th, 2005, 08:25 AM
We used to do swim golf with a past coach, but the new coaches don't seem to like it. My scores were pretty much "on par" with yours: 14-15 strokes on the "front", 15-16 on the "back", with a total score with time coming in around 66-72. If I can only get my swimming golf to match the real golf scores.

Sam Perry
January 4th, 2005, 08:44 AM
We swim a 50 and count the strokes. Your time plus the number of strokes taken was your score. Obviously the goal is to lower your score either by swimming faster in the same number of strokes or swim the same with fewer strokes. I love the game and think it really helps with efficiency.

knelson
January 4th, 2005, 01:28 PM
We do it and I usually score in the mid 50s.

jroddin
January 7th, 2005, 11:17 AM
I'm a big fan of swim golf. Particularly during taper time because it gives you a great feel for the water if you can really stretch out your stroke. I like to do them on a 60 second interval so at least you're not trying to also overcome fatigue. I've gotten down to 47 (in a 25y pool) but that was the day before Nationals and I was in peak shape.