PDA

View Full Version : Swimming Reads?

dreamer
January 1st, 2005, 02:56 PM
Hey everyone! I need a good book to read when on the road, I was wondering if there were any good books on swimming you'd recommend. I am interested in biographies, but any suggestions woudl be great. Whats ur fave book? I cant wait for michael phelps book to come out later this month.

Alicat
January 1st, 2005, 03:20 PM
Try this website:

http://www.swiminfo.com/swimshop/shop.asp?iCatId=4

The Dawn Fraser story looks good!

fatboy
January 1st, 2005, 06:20 PM
Wind, Waves, and Sunburn: A Brief History of Marathon Swimming
by Conrad Wennerberg is good.

Rob Copeland
January 3rd, 2005, 08:11 AM
I agree with Frank, “Wind, Waves, and Sunburn” is an excellent read.

Also Gold in the Water, by P. H. Mullen Jr. is a wonderful swimmers story.

And I’ve heard good things about “Swimming to Antarctica : Tales of a Long-Distance Swimmer by Lynne Cox.

swimr4life
January 3rd, 2005, 08:58 AM
Gold in the Water is an EXCELLENT book with biographies and insight into the swimmers training and all that they go through mentally and physically leading into the Olympics! VERY MOTIVATING!

ALM
January 3rd, 2005, 12:51 PM
"Other Shores" by Diana Nyad is very well-written. She accomplished some amazing long-distance swims. I believe the book is out of print but you can probably find it either in the library or on one of the used book sites (www.abebooks.com or www.amazon.com).

"Staying With It: On Becoming an Athlete" by John Jerome is also a great book. It's an account of how he became a Masters swimmer.

scolopax
January 3rd, 2005, 01:07 PM
Swimming to Antarctica is a great read.

knelson
January 4th, 2005, 12:33 AM
Four Champions One Gold Medal

thisgirl13
January 4th, 2005, 01:21 AM
I know you said you were interested in biographies, but this is a book I've had forever, and I still take it down and read it from time to time:

In Lane Three, Alex Archer, by Tessa Duder

It was written in 1987, and it's a fiction book about a 15 year old New Zealand girl who is training to compete in the 1960 Summer Olympics in Rome. It's very intriguing to read, especially because it's one of the first fiction books to really take a non-fiction look at the life of a swimmer, and all the different pressures they face. Plus, it's a neat way to see the differences between New Zealand and USA-style, and between 1959 and now.

One of my favorite quotes from the book is this:

"I have always known that in another life I was - or will be - a dolphin. I am I pink human, caught in a net of ambition and years of hard work. In a few moments I will dive into artificially turquoise water waiting at my feet. A moment after that I'll either be a champion or a failure."

Bob Boder
January 4th, 2005, 08:25 AM
Two older books I have read are..... 50-Meter Jungle I forget the author, but its about Santa Clara swim club in the era of Mark Spitz. It maybe hard to find, I read a friend's copy. Then there is an autobiography about Don Schollander's swim career. It's actually older than the Spitz book but I found many copies in the used book section of Amazon.

hammerheadcm
January 7th, 2005, 04:34 PM
Not a book, but there is a very nice article about swimming in the January 2005 issue of Men's Journal. It was written by P.H. Mullen.
There are photos of Michael Phelps, stroke and turn tips and sample workouts. If I weren't already a swimmer I would want to begin training after reading the article