PDA

View Full Version : What's in your swimbag - deckbag?

swimmer_steph
January 2nd, 2005, 01:37 PM
Happy New Year Guys :)

Because I'm a nosey-newbie, I'm wordering what's in your swimbag? I primarily swim for fitness so up until now, I've just had the normal stuff: goggles, silicone caps, ear plugs and anti-fog sprays, but this year I want to ramp-up my skills [tone my legs, swim faster & finally learn breast] so I'm curious -

What do you take to the pool w/you? Fins - paddles - your own kickboard - a fifth of Jack??? Any answers would be greatly appreciated.

May we each have our best year ever!

Steph

Alicat
January 2nd, 2005, 01:54 PM
Besides the standard accoutrement...

pull boys
paddles
a small note book and pen/pencil to write down yardage
flip flops for the fungus showers stalls
a Sammy
2 water bottles one with water and another with a flavor of some sort to get the chlorine taste out of my mouth after practice
A mesh bag to toss all the poolside "stuff" goggles, caps, ear plugs when the water bugs my ears etc...
A lock for the locker

Pretty boring and basic!

laineybug
January 2nd, 2005, 02:09 PM
LOL, cute question. I have a locker so I don't carry a bag regularly. Once every 10 days or so I take all of my suits to the gym and put them in my locker. I take the one I wear home after the swim, rinse it out and hang it up. When all 10 return home it's time for me to take them back to the gym. I keep just the basics like, shampoo, soap, lotions and potions, brush, hair dryer, curling iron, make up, two pairs of goggles, two caps, my zoomers, the TI poolside primers, and numerous workouts (in plastic ziplock bags--that way I have a lot of workouts to choose from). I go straight from work to swim so I also have a plastic container to leave my jewelry/watch/cell phone/pda in, and a little bit of change, in my locker. My pool has kick boards, pull bouys, and hand paddles. I don't use them on a regular basis though, especially the pull bouys. I've been meaning to buy fist gloves. Also been thinking about a snorkle. Those of you have started using them, how are they working out?

swimmer_steph
January 2nd, 2005, 02:27 PM
Thank you!

I'm trying to decide if I want to invest in some fins, paddles, a pull bouy and my own kickboard; our pool offers the normal red kickboards so I don't know if buying/using my own is actually going to help me re: toning my legs, etc.

I'm not trying to win any races this year - just continue to shape-up and improve my physical condition. Since August, I've swum 162 miles so I'm in okay shape - I just want to get better! :cool:

Seagurl51
January 2nd, 2005, 04:13 PM
I'm happy I just got a bunch of new stuff to carry for christmas (and a new bag to carry it in!!). I have the pretty standard stuff. 2 suits, like a bizilion pairs of googles (dont' know how I got so many:confused: ), a shamy, a huge towel (bath sheets are fun!), my zoomers, some caps, make-the-water-leave-your ear-drops, and some misc. bath items. If you're looking to tone your legs, I would say buy some zoomers. I have only swam with them for like 2 workouts but you can really feel them working. I have the red ones which are pretty stiff, so they make you work to kick.

~Kyra

p.s. I'm glad to see that another fitness swimmer wants to start competing....it makes me feel so not alone! :D

Good Luck and Happiness to everyone in the New Year!!!

CCSR79
January 2nd, 2005, 10:22 PM
My gym provides the towels, kickboards, paddles and fins, I have yet to use the paddles, and I bought my own zoomers fins as the ones at the gym are too long. So my backpack has goggles, a few swimcaps, my finger lap counter (can't live without it -- I was always losing count before!), flipflops, zoomers, my swimsuit, stuff for the shower, clean underwear, and today I just added my new waterproof MP3 player -- hopefully I'll get to test it out tomorrow!

swimmer_steph
January 2nd, 2005, 11:48 PM
I've been thinking about buying the finger lap counter! So you have one and you like it -- hmmmmm. This is exciting news!

And you have a new MP3 player - :D - please let us know how you like it as that's another item [albeit much more expensive] I've been looking at purchasing...

I just ordered my blue Zoomers tonight; toys can be such fun.

CCSR79
January 3rd, 2005, 09:55 AM
I love the finger lap counter -- I always lose count without it, and with it I know for sure how many laps I've done. Plus it gives me the total time I was swimming (it has a pause button so you know it's accurate), the fastest lap time, the slowest lap time and the average.

I can't wait to try the MP3 player -- it was quite expensive but definitely worth it if it works!

Nancy Graham
January 3rd, 2005, 12:17 PM
The finger lap counter that gives you all that information sounds intriguing (as in I might want one). Can you direct me to a site that might have them?

Thanks

CCSR79
January 3rd, 2005, 01:07 PM
I bought it from SwimToWin at http://swimtowin.com/products/dsc.html but it was out of stock for a long time (even though the site didn't say that), so it took a good two months to arrive. A quick google search for either "finger lap counter" or "ring lap counter" should bring up other sites. Note that there is two different types, the cheapest one only counts laps and nothing else. I love mine, it's great!

swimmer_steph
January 3rd, 2005, 05:04 PM
look --->

here (http://www.kiefer.com/Kiefer/productr.asp?pf%5Fid=610101&gift=False&0=dept%2Easp%2Cdept%5Fid%3D88%26Tree%3D%2CCompetit ive%20Swim&1=dept%2Easp%2Cdept%5Fid%3D5%26menu%5Fid%3D%26Tree %3D0%2CTraining&2=dept%2Easp%2Cdept%5Fid%3D51%26menu%5Fid%3D%26Tre e%3D1%2CTiming&HSLB=False&mscssid=02D18673BCA854953802BBF2DF22F8B2)

and here (http://www.kiefer.com/Kiefer/productr.asp?pf%5Fid=610100&gift=False&0=dept%2Easp%2Cdept%5Fid%3D88%26Tree%3D%2CCompetit ive%20Swim&1=dept%2Easp%2Cdept%5Fid%3D5%26menu%5Fid%3D%26Tree %3D0%2CTraining&2=dept%2Easp%2Cdept%5Fid%3D51%26menu%5Fid%3D%26Tre e%3D1%2CTiming&HSLB=False&mscssid=02D18673BCA854953802BBF2DF22F8B2)

:D

Guvnah
January 3rd, 2005, 05:46 PM
I bring my own fins. I haven't come across a pool yet that has size 14s in their fin bin. (If they offer for-the-public fins at all...)

I have my own paddles ("hans paddles"). I carry the fins and the paddles in their own mesh bag because I don't bring these to the pool every time.

I use the pool's kickboards and pull buoys.

In my bag is the towel and suit I will be using that day. A change of clothes. Goggles. Ear plugs. Swim cap (latex). (And spare goggle, plugs, cap and a suit.) I also have a spare set of glasses that I wear out to the pool. If my glasses are going to get damaged laying around on the deck, it may as well be an old pair.

I also have a bottle of cornstarch baby powder. I powder my cap after I have dried it off. Keeps it from sticking to itself. Cornstarch dissolves, unlike talc. So I don't have to worry about breathing in any powder dust when I use cornstarch.

I have a spare inhaler bottle (combivent/albuterol) for my asthma in case I forget to take a dose before leaving home.

I bring a water bottle to the pool. Nalgene, 32 ounce, which I completely finish off by the end of my swim. (The air is dry in Colorado!)

As for toiletries, besides the powder (which I also put into my socks after I get dressed after my swim) I carry deodorant and a shaving kit. No soap though. I use what they have in the dispensers in the showers.

I have a little log sheet and a few pens. I keep track of miles ( in fractions of one-twelvths, for what it's worth. It's my own personal quirk.)

And a lock. Never leave your stuff unlocked in the locker room!

That's about it.

Swimmy
January 5th, 2005, 05:01 PM
My bag is packed with tons of stuff:
Fluffy towel, suits, caps, goggles(Swedish with new bungee straps-love them!), eardrops, hair stuff, paddles, fins, lotion, water bottle,pool pass, and my lock, of course!
Now I want that finger lap counter too!
Swimmy :)

USMSarah
January 5th, 2005, 05:25 PM
my swim bag has the essentials... zoomers, tons of sweedes goggles and caps, a speedo radio that doesn't work very well, brush, shampoo, deoderant, a lock for my locker, towel.... and most important of all...................................

ICY HOT!!!!!!

lapswimmr
January 5th, 2005, 10:07 PM
One piece swim suit Liz Claiborn black with red sides , white plastic Japanese style shower shoes in a plastic bag to keep them seperated from the rest of the bag, white bubble crepe strap swim cap, swim band, clear Barracuda Standard swim goggles in a taped up plastic box ,tube of St. Ives Fresh H20 cream moisturizer for my skin, Hair brush, blue Zoomers, combination padlock, set of keys, a small mag light, Smith & Wesson 38 special 2 inch Airlite revolver , 1 extra 5 shot speedloader with 125 grain + P hollowpoint Winchester cartridges, small leather wallet I take out of my purse (locked in car trunk before I go)with drivers license , concealed weapon permit, pool pass, 4 quarters 5 ones and a 20 dollar bill. No I dont leave my bag laying around where kids can get at it. Its locked up in the locker all the time. Sometimes the lights in the parking lot are not on.

bitwiz
January 6th, 2005, 09:54 AM
Flip-flops, goggles, speedo, towel, logbook and a padlock.

knelson
January 6th, 2005, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by Guvnah
I bring my own fins. I haven't come across a pool yet that has size 14s in their fin bin.

Yes, with size 14 feet, you do bring your own fins. The thing is they are permanently attached to your ankles :)

I bring paddles, buoy, fins in a mesh bag. Towel, suit, goggles, shampoo, combo lock in my swim bag.

gull
January 6th, 2005, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by lapswimmr
Smith & Wesson 38 special 2 inch Airlite revolver

I guess if the pool is really crowded you can tell the other lap swimmers (a la Clint Eastwood), "We are going to be using this lane." And when someone asks, "Who is 'we?'" you can answer, "Me, Smith and Wesson."

swimmer_steph
January 6th, 2005, 06:21 PM
I really appreciate the answers.

So, besides the gun *giggle* ;) we seem to carry pretty much the same schtuff. I guess I was afraid that if I started bringing in a mesh bag of toys [fins, paddles, and a pull buoy] someone would say something -- but all of those items appear to make up our normal gear.

Thanks again for the responses. :)

Steph

USMSarah
January 7th, 2005, 05:13 PM
LAPSWIMMER

Why on earth are you carrying a gun in your swim bag? Are pools really becoming this dangerous or are you just from Texas?

mbriones
January 7th, 2005, 05:41 PM
towel, extra silicone swimcap, extra goggles, lycra swim cap, extra nose plug, ear plugs, old snap container to put my rings in, and my trusty finger lap counter. My ZIP fins won't fit into my (smallish) bag so I just carry those.

I don't pack any weapons or ammo in my bag....

lapswimmr
January 7th, 2005, 09:23 PM
Its got nothing to due with swimming swimmers or the pool. As I said the bags locked up in the locker. No one knows whats in it. Its about the parking lot after dark and choices in life. The choice between being a victim or not being a victim. I have carried a pistol off and on now for about 15 years. Florida has many things that are great, Hurricanes and winter drifters whom end up commiting crimes in the state are not two of them. In 1999 I was buying christmas wrapping paper and odds and ends at a close out store in January for thte next year, I parked out by a fence at the side of the store where the trash dumpsters were about 50 feet away. I came out and it was past dark, the light was dim , I had my purse in one hand, the shopping bag in the other , As I put my key in the car door lock my sixth sense was alerted I looked up and a man was walking directly at me in with rapid pace. he was looking directly at me. No one else was around, I dropped the shopping bag let go of the key and pulled the pistol I carried at the time from my purse , I dropped my purse as I pulled the pistol and held the pistol in both hands at a angle to the ground. He stopped about 8 feet away. "Its Ok..Ok lady" he said as he backed up back to the fence and then took off by the trash dumpster into the dark, now what did he want..my shopping bag? My purse? Or did he want to take me back behind that fence?

I dont always carry the pistol, just when I feel its needed.

USMSarah

As citizens of the United States we live in a free country and have choices in life about our personel defense.

You make yours..I'll make mine.

And I would never mess with Texas! "wink"

All that said I will give one piece of advise to all. Your sixth sense is your best protector. If I had not sensed the man was coming the pistol would have been useless as he would have had me.
Be aware of where you are if its dark, coming out of work , shopping in the evening, ect. If you feel scared ask some one to walk out to the car with you.

And you never know what in someones swim bag!

mbriones
January 7th, 2005, 11:32 PM
Well, I didn't know if you were serious. I can certainly understand personal safety issues and respect that. I learned proper firearms safety about 15 years ago and am glad that I did. You can never go wrong with learning to be aware and about possible situations and how to react/respond.

My husband is a karate instructor and has taught me a great deal of self defense moves. So, I guess I always have a 'can of whoop a$$ in my bag too...the bag that is my body! Occasionally, I have dreams that someone is attacking me and I wake up and find myself in my bed, performing a self defense move...funny.

:D

swimlong
January 8th, 2005, 12:31 AM
all the usual pool toys, shampoo, etc. and pajamas...
our workouts end at 10:00 pm...no point in getting dressed again afterworkout...thank god flannel pj pants are back in "style" (or at least acceptable) although I've never had the guts to wear them to a post-workout warm down session at the pub...

USMSarah
January 8th, 2005, 09:25 AM
Lapswimmer...

I completely understand that it is our given "right" to carry a gun, however, I did not mean to offend you in any way. I can understand that you have been shaken up over your situation in the parking lot, but you did mention the gun and your extra ammo like it was just a normal thing... like it was just another item in your bag, like your goggles or your pocketchange.

Anyways, my question to you is... even though it is locked up in your locker... is it unloaded? If it's not... what if it ever went off? Yes, no one knows it's in your bag... BUT, I used to be a pool manager and people do break into lockers... what if a 16 year old got a hold of the gun in your bag?

A lot of facilities have people who will walk you out to your car if it is dark at night, why not do that and leave the gun in your car? I'm sure that the pool where you swim at does not allow firearms in their facility...

I know that is an extreme situation, but crazy things do happen. It is YOUR right to have your gun... I don't deny you that. I think what upset me about that is that it's not in your posession while you are swimming... that's all.

I just don't like guns... that's my opinion and you have yours.

laineybug
January 8th, 2005, 10:07 AM
The town I live in is small with very little crime, but I still try to be aware of my surroundings. One evening, a year or so ago, after swimming, my sixth sense tells me there is someone following me to the parking lot beside the Y. That felt very odd because when I had stepped out of the building I had looked in both directions and there had been no one around. I looked back over my shoulder and there was a man following me. I didn't recognize him as someone I had ever seen at the Y, and he didn't look to be a member. I walked a bit faster and he walked a bit faster. When I got to the parking lot I was relieved to see a couple of other members standing at their cars in a far corner chatting, they were pretty far away though. Thinking back on it, I probably should have walked to them. By this time I had mannaged to put my keys in my fist/through my fingers with my thumb on the 'panic' button of my remote door openner. To get to my car I had to angle into the parking lot slightly and cut between two cars. I was hoping the man would go straight, keeping on the sidewalk, but he didn't. At that point I was one or two steps between the two cars I had to cut between. Thankfully I wasn't boxed in, but was afraid that if I 'stopped' to get into the car he would be able to catch up with me. I decided I should try to get back into the building, so I stopped, turned around, squared my shoulders and looked the man straight in the eyes. He stopped too, had a very stunned look on his face as he noticed the keys in my fist. I had to walk straight toward him to get past him and he didn't move an inch from where he was standing. He was probably thinking this chick is CRAZY. As I got to the sidewalk I glanced back over my shoulder to see where he was. He was walking between the two cars I had to cut between, then he turned around and headed back in my direction. I jogged the rest of the way back to the entrance. When I got inside and looked out, the man was gone. My wet bathing suit and my keys were all I had with me that day. What the heck did he have in mind.

lapswimmr
January 8th, 2005, 11:57 PM
Any thing from a innocent fellow, to big trouble for you. ..We can all seem like crazy chicks from time to time.. The sixth sense is right 99 99/100th % of the time.

USMSarah. Yes the gun is loaded.. no good if it was not and its best with guns not to be handling them, unloading them is when things could happen with some guns like automatic types. Mine is a revolver and it will not go off by itself. Also handling it would let others know its there. Any way its the womens locker room and theres been no break ins in the lockers. Like I said too you never know whats in somebodys pocket purse or bag. A policeman told me that you would not belive how many cars have guns in them ..In Florida it was may still be legal to keep a loaded gun in the glove box with no conceled permit. I will have to check on that if thats still so as I have a permit and have not paid attention to the glove box carry thing without a permit. Most states in the US a gun in the glove box is unlawfull as its considered concealed (without a permit to carry concealed).

anyway no offense taken you have your feelings and I can respect that. Misinformation, the media Hollywood, and political correctness make gun ownership the most muddled right in the USA.

So now .. eveyone.. Be happy .. Dont Worry... and SWIM! "Smile"

Alicat
January 9th, 2005, 01:19 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by USMSarah
[B]Lapswimmer...

Anyways, my question to you is... even though it is locked up in your locker... is it unloaded?

I'm not one to carry a gun, but have had training in the military, I would think an unloaded gun would not be useful in an attack --besides trying to scare someone off.

The safety should always be on and the gun should not be cocked. These are two safeties built onto the weapon so one does not accidentally discharge it.

Scansy
January 9th, 2005, 06:10 PM
I'm a gun owner - I hunt so I own rifles and shotguns. I also own a couple of pistols that were given to me as older family members passed away. I don't carry any with me on a regular basis, but then again being a man, I don't feel any need to.

I do support your right to carry a gun - properly permitted of course. I also agree that for it to go off accidentally is impossible. You would have to have the safe off and the gun cocked. If you are doing that, it isn't an accident for it to go off - it would be stupidity that caused it to go off.

USMSarah
January 9th, 2005, 08:10 PM
well, it just goes to show... you can't mess with swimmers.

=)

swimmer_steph
February 3rd, 2005, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by CCSR79
My gym provides the towels, kickboards, paddles and fins, I have yet to use the paddles, and I bought my own zoomers fins as the ones at the gym are too long. So my backpack has goggles, a few swimcaps, my finger lap counter (can't live without it -- I was always losing count before!), flipflops, zoomers, my swimsuit, stuff for the shower, clean underwear, and today I just added my new waterproof MP3 player -- hopefully I'll get to test it out tomorrow!

I just had to come back to thank you for recommending the finger lap counter. My husband surprised me w/one last week and I'm hooked! I can now think about other topics instead of just mentally repeating the lap number I'm swimming.

Thank you so so so much!!! :D

eliana2003
February 3rd, 2005, 06:35 AM
LOL!

I'm glad that I'm not the only one who carries a revolver! I haven't been swimming for a long time, but I'm going to start soon, and feel the need for some protection in the wee hours of the morning... (and mine stays seriously locked up in a locker, too, within a locked bag).

Eliana

hooked-on-swimming
February 3rd, 2005, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by eliana2003
LOL!

I'm glad that I'm not the only one who carries a revolver! I haven't been swimming for a long time, but I'm going to start soon, and feel the need for some protection in the wee hours of the morning... (and mine stays seriously locked up in a locker, too, within a locked bag).

Eliana

I am sure no one is going to get in your lane with that kind of protection, lol.
I think it is a little extreme, though - carrying a gun to a work out...

craiglll@yahoo.com
February 3rd, 2005, 10:51 AM
There are lots of cookie & cracker crumbs in my bag.

I wonder if carrying a revolver in your bag is a concealed weapon? I think in Illinois, you would be arrested. I'm sure that if soem one knew you had a gun in your bag at your pool, you woudl be asked to leave.

eliana2003
February 3rd, 2005, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by craiglll@yahoo.com
There are lots of cookie & cracker crumbs in my bag.

I wonder if carrying a revolver in your bag is a concealed weapon? I think in Illinois, you would be arrested. I'm sure that if soem one knew you had a gun in your bag at your pool, you woudl be asked to leave.

the state of illinois does have really stringent gun laws.

it is a concealed weapon, which is entirely legal in the state of florida (i do have the appropriate licenses)... i always carry in accordance with the law (my DH does this for a living).

believe it or not, i'm not a great fan of firearms- i'm not just another gun-totin' idiot- and most days i just carry pepper spray (legally), if i feel it's warranted. sadly, though, i have been a victim of a violent crime in the past and my pacifism did me no good then, so i'm not taking any chances, especially as there is a fair amount crime here.

the pools aren't in the best neighbourhoods, btw.

lots of love,

e.

Sonic Swimmer78
February 3rd, 2005, 11:49 AM
Since I carry so much stuff to the pool with me, I've decided to put my Gym Bag to retirement once I get my USMS Speedo Swimmer's Backpack from Kast-A-Way this week! :lol:

I'm currently carrying

3 Pairs of goggles (one, which has corrective lenses)
2 Extra pairs of speedo's (Just in case...)
1 TYR Chamois
1 Standard Terrycloth Towel
1 Pair of Earplugs (which I rarely use)
2 Water Bottles (for extra hydration; hey, just cause we're in the water doesn't mean it's safe to drink it. :p )
1 Key and Lock (which I rarely use)
1 Eye glasses case (I put my glasses in my bag)
and one pair of flip-flops to prevent athlete's foot.

as for fins, paddles and a pull bouy... I still need to purchase them for my personal use.

eliana2003
February 3rd, 2005, 12:51 PM
The swimmer's backpack is great- lots of room to cram lots and lots of stuff!

I got mine on sale from Sports Authority ages ago; you can fit a locker's worth of stuff in it... Well worth the money.

e.

Nancy Graham
February 3rd, 2005, 07:56 PM
I MUST chime in here about the finger lap counter. It is my newest gadget and I love it. It's so new though, I am paying much more attention to its operation than to my swimming!

New toys -- how fun, and here is one that is so functional. I will never be without one.

nancy

laineybug
February 3rd, 2005, 08:32 PM
Nancy, that's my biggest gripe about the finger lap counter... I can't remember how many times to push which button to get what function. Well I do have a couple of others... the button that you push with your thumb to count the laps gets stuck after awhile... I guess it is the dried up pool water in it. And, this is probably just me being paranoid... I'm afraid the velcro band is going to come loose (in the 12 ft deep end of course). Can you tell I don't use mine very much?

Did someone say there was a lap counter watch or something that senses when the swimmer turns and counts the lap automatically, or am I just dreaming... and HEY, if I am dreaming I am claiming rights to that idea. If you want to manufacture it talk to me about my cut of the profits first.

lapswimmr
February 3rd, 2005, 10:48 PM
Then its decided ...eliana2003... you dont get in my lane .. I wont get in yours!! You Punks take notice!.. ....

Its a serious decision to carry deadly force to protect your self. Sadly its a matter of being a victum or not some times..We choose not to be.

.Craiglll.. no its not going to get us arrested.. Thats what concealed weapon permits are for..

Now SWIM!

eliana2003
February 4th, 2005, 07:59 AM
I do have a question: how much do those finger lap counters cost? Are they worth the money?

peace and love and all that good stuff,
e.

CCSR79
February 4th, 2005, 09:30 AM
Mine was about $25, it counts laps, total swim time (it has a pause button), fastest lap, slowest lap and average lap. I can't live without mine, love it!!!

Matthias
February 4th, 2005, 09:47 AM
So, I guess I come back to the topic ;)

In my bag I carry :

-a pair of blue Speedo Mariner Googles (nothing more relaxing than blue lenses :cool: )

-a folder with my workout plans and a big sticker of the German Swimming Federation to make a professional impression to all those around

-a towel

-a box of a pair of earplugges which I lost during swimming fast

-a bottle of a selfmixed energy drink (based on water, apple- and orangejuice)

brgds

matthias

craiglll@yahoo.com
February 4th, 2005, 11:26 AM
the state of illinois does have really stringent gun laws.

it is a concealed weapon, which is entirely legal in the state of florida (i do have the appropriate licenses)... i always carry in accordance with the law (my DH does this for a living).

believe it or not, i'm not a great fan of firearms- i'm not just another gun-totin' idiot- and most days i just carry pepper spray (legally), if i feel it's warranted. sadly, though, i have been a victim of a violent crime in the past and my pacifism did me no good then, so i'm not taking any chances, especially as there is a fair amount crime here.

the pools aren't in the best neighbourhoods, btw.

lots of love,

e.

Last night I told a cop tht you hada gunin your locker. He used to be a cop in florida but moved back norht for family reasons. He thinks that if you leave itin your locker overnight, and you aren't there, you might be breaking a law. I swim in a Y. An employee heard me and saiod that if you are in a Y, you should be asked to leave.

The cop also said that almost all people who are attacked and are carrying a weapon end up getting injured by that weapon. Even people trained with firearms.

When yo use a lap counter, do you have to remember to puch any button or does it count on its own? It sort of confuses me.

swimmer_steph
February 4th, 2005, 11:38 AM
I do have a question: how much do those finger lap counters cost? Are they worth the money?

peace and love and all that good stuff,
e.

http://swimtowin.com/products/dsc.html

That's where my husband ordered mine and if you sign up for their free mailing list, I believe you receive a 10% discount on your orders.

I'm concerned about the velcro as well, but I figure if it breaks or fails, I'll send it back during the first year b/c if memory serves, there is a 12 month warranty. If something happens after a year, I'll just fix it myself w/a trip to the craft store for new velcro.

After I swim, I rinse it in the shower w/clean water to remove the chlorine, so hopefully the buttons won't stick.

Have fun and this toy rawks!

Steph

swimmer_steph
February 4th, 2005, 11:42 AM

When yo use a lap counter, do you have to remember to puch any button or does it count on its own? It sort of confuses me.

The one I posted directly above requires you to push a small button to count laps. Just as someone else mentioned above, I just flip and then press. After two days of swimming, it became a habit and I haven't even had to think about it since.

There may be a higher-tech version out there but for $30.00 - this is the right lap counter for me. :)

CCSR79
February 4th, 2005, 11:56 AM
Yep, that's exactly how it is, you press the button when flipping -- it's easy to press it, and doesn't interrupt the flow as you're using it on your index finger and pressing it with your thumb -- it's very easy, after a couple of days you don't even think about pressing it anymore!

eliana2003
February 4th, 2005, 01:19 PM
Last night I told a cop tht you hada gunin your locker. He used to be a cop in florida but moved back norht for family reasons. He thinks that if you leave itin your locker overnight, and you aren't there, you might be breaking a law. I swim in a Y. An employee heard me and saiod that if you are in a Y, you should be asked to leave.

The cop also said that almost all people who are attacked and are carrying a weapon end up getting injured by that weapon. Even people trained with firearms.

I don't leave it in the locker overnight, nor do I swim at a Y.

It's my constitutional right and my choice. Sorry- and I know the law, too.

(and Florida cops have a rep. for harming innocents, too- they are not perfect, believe me.)

Geez- enough already :)

lapswimmr
February 4th, 2005, 08:14 PM
Now back to my swim bag.. (forget the "Tray 8" business) but my shower shoes, I keep them in a plastic gallon bag, I see people putting there flip flops ect right in the swim bag. Now whats on the bottom of those shoes?? Where does it go?? All over the inside of the swim bag..the goggles the towel, the cap ect... gag! wretch!!.. ....Ok ..got my breath back.. thats why I put mine in a plastic bag.. so they dont "cross contaminate" the rest of the swim gear.. kinda like cutting up raw chicken on a counter top then making the kids a sandwich there.. got my drift? A bag with a side pocket would do the same thing. Seperate the gear that is.

TheFish
February 4th, 2005, 10:02 PM
Sorry I must respond to this after reading this thread for a while...

Eliana and others--Don't get all uptight about this whole "concealed weapon" thing. The people on this board are just voiceing their opinions about carrying concealed weapons. I undertand people have a choice to carry a weapon or not but there are other things you need to think about.

My opinion...I don't feel the need. What if you were swimming and had the gun in your locker and some wacko comes in? How are you going to get your gun??? The same thing if you are in a store and accidently leave the gun at home or in the car?? I also want to know, why don't you people who carry a gun take a self-defense class instead? There are classes out there that teach you gun defense. Something to think about....

scyfreestyler
February 4th, 2005, 10:12 PM
In response to the gun bashing on here, I would like to say that a responsible person who is proficient with their firearm makes their community a safer place. Why not just take self-defense? That works good if your attacker is knows less than you do or if there is only one of them. The gun is the ultimate equalizer but you must be certain that you are prepared to take a life before you draw your weapon.

swimmer_steph
February 4th, 2005, 10:23 PM
Yep, that's exactly how it is, you press the button when flipping -- it's easy to press it, and doesn't interrupt the flow as you're using it on your index finger and pressing it with your thumb -- it's very easy, after a couple of days you don't even think about pressing it anymore!

CCSR79:

I'm so sorry I didn't credit you earlier this morning when I answered a question above; I was running late for an appointment and didn't have time to scroll back through to find the poster's name - I just remembered the recommendation and the easy ~flip & press thing.~ :)

Thank you again for telling me/us about the lap counter - I'm having so much fun checking all of my stats after a long workout, and not having to mentally keep track of laps while swimming is soooooooooo nice!

Steph

eliana2003
February 5th, 2005, 06:25 AM
*sigh*

OK- I'll bite...

Self-defense is useful (done that, too: boxing, krav maga, et c., et c.), but since I'm legally allowed to carry a gun (I've lived abroad in countries where any form of self-defence was illegal, believe it or not), I usually choose to do so. Not always, though- the things are usually uncomfortable to schlepp around all day.

My DH trains law enforcement how to use their firearms, teaches self-defence techniques and trains people to ge their CCW permit (among other things)... So, I guess I'm fortunate to say that I live with a security expert and get lots of free advice!

LOL- I'm not worried about being attacked in the pool (with the exception of maybe getting accidently smacked by the guy in the lane next to me)! It's the travelling around and walking through dark car parks at 5.30 in the morning that concerns me.

Back to the original topic, though: Thanks to the poster who pointed out that s/he puts his/her deck shoes in a little bag before putting them into the pool bag- I hadn't thought of that (and the reasons behind doing so!)

e.

eliana2003
February 5th, 2005, 06:36 AM
Originally posted by 330man
In response to the gun bashing on here, I would like to say that a responsible person who is proficient with their firearm makes their community a safer place.

Thanks for this- you're absolutely right.

E.

(who's actually politically v. liberal ;))

CCSR79
February 5th, 2005, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by swimmer_steph
Thank you again for telling me/us about the lap counter - I'm having so much fun checking all of my stats after a long workout, and not having to mentally keep track of laps while swimming is soooooooooo nice!

Steph [/B]

No problem, I do love my finger lap counter, so it's a good thing other people are having fun with it too! Much more reliable than my memory as I seem to daydream while swimming...

DAP
February 9th, 2005, 01:25 AM
No problem, I do love my finger lap counter, so it's a good thing other people are having fun with it too! Since I read about the lap counter on this forum, I went out and got one today. I was all excited about trying it out tomorrow since my pool has no pace clocks, but when I got home, I found that it was the wrong model! :( Sportcount makes several models of the lap counter, and the one I mistakenly got only counts laps, no timer. The store was selling it as the "counter and timer combo" model with the "combo" model price, but it was really the cheaper counter-only model. The only difference in the packaging is which model is checked on the back of the package, so read the back of the package carefully to get the right model. I'll have to return or exchange it tomorrow.

lapswimmr
February 9th, 2005, 10:06 PM
Lap counter/ Its on your finger then.. I saw all the posts thought you were talking about a counter that you put at the pools edge.
So you press it at the end of each lap or each lenght ..good idea!

swimmer_steph
February 9th, 2005, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by DAP
Since I read about the lap counter on this forum, I went out and got one today. I was all excited about trying it out tomorrow since my pool has no pace clocks, but when I got home, I found that it was the wrong model! :( Sportcount makes several models of the lap counter, and the one I mistakenly got only counts laps, no timer. The store was selling it as the "counter and timer combo" model with the "combo" model price, but it was really the cheaper counter-only model. The only difference in the packaging is which model is checked on the back of the package, so read the back of the package carefully to get the right model. I'll have to return or exchange it tomorrow.

Let us know what you think of it when you get the new one. I just can't say enough positive words about mine - it rawks!

Steph

DAP
February 10th, 2005, 01:12 AM
Let us know what you think of it when you get the new one. I just can't say enough positive words about mine - it rawks!

The store that sold me the wrong model is getting the right model sent from another store. I should be able to exchange it tomorrow.

It seems like it will be quite useful, particularly since it keeps the timing statistics. The feedback will be valuable to measure progress and for motivation. Currently, I lose track of how many laps I have done, and measuring time is difficult. My pool only has a small wall clock mounted up high on the wall at one end of the pool.

The lap counter/timer is waterproof of course, but I hope it holds up to the constant chlorine exposure.

CCSR79
February 10th, 2005, 07:33 AM
Originally posted by DAP
The lap counter/timer is waterproof of course, but I hope it holds up to the constant chlorine exposure.

I've had mine since October, using it about 5 times a week. The elastic band that goes around my finger has gotten loose (as expected with the chlorine), so I just tied a very tight not in the middle of the elastic band and that has worked for the last month, it seems to have solved the problem! The velcro closure is just as good as new, and I never had any problems with it falling off my finger.

DAP
February 12th, 2005, 07:34 PM
Today, I finally got the lap counter/timer after two attempts to get the correct model. I got the Sportcount "combo" model, and the store kept giving me the counter-only model. The packaging is confusing since it is the same for all four models of the counter, the only difference being which box the factory checks with an ink marker on the back of the package. Although the counter model would be useful for just counting laps, the combo model measures the time statistics for laps which is what I wanted.

I'll go swimming tomorrow and try it out. Since I haven't been accurately counting laps nor timing myself, it will be interesting to see how far and how fast I really have been going. I don't have high expectations since I have only been swimming seriously for about four months, and I started barely able to swim one 25 yard length of the pool.

swimmer_steph
February 13th, 2005, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by DAP
... I'll go swimming tomorrow and try it out. Since I haven't been accurately counting laps nor timing myself, it will be interesting to see how far and how fast I really have been going. I don't have high expectations since I have only been swimming seriously for about four months, and I started barely able to swim one 25 yard length of the pool.

You might just be surprised! I got back into swimming last summer and am now a full-fledged addict, swimming at least one mile p/day in addition to my other gym activities!

I hope you enjoy the counter,

Steph

DAP
February 13th, 2005, 08:45 PM
You might just be surprised! Actually, yes, I was surprised. I used the counter for the first time today, and I did 102 laps (25 yard lengths). I didn't think I was doing that much distance. I thought I was down around 1500 yard. It was not continuous, and I used the "pause" button during my breaks. The total logged swim time was around 55 minutes. I also did some kick sets that I did not count since I didn't want to skew the time statistics (my kick sets are quite slow).

I did make one mistake using the counter where I accidentally pushed the lap button twice, so the final displayed count was 103, so I subtracted 1 mentally. Unfortunately the minimum lap time statistic was around 1 second since it timed the double button press, so I don't know what my fastest lap was. There is no cancel feature if you mess up like that.

Swimming with the counter on the finger feels a little strange, but I guess I'll get accustomed to it. It's definitely a handy little gadget. It is pretty small, and I hope I don't lose it.

CCSR79
February 14th, 2005, 07:36 AM
Originally posted by DAP
Swimming with the counter on the finger feels a little strange, but I guess I'll get accustomed to it. It's definitely a handy little gadget. It is pretty small, and I hope I don't lose it.

You'll definitely get used to it on your finger, it only bothers me when I'm swimming fly (but since it isn't much I can deal with it for a few seconds!)

I have one of those plastic goggles case that come with the TYR goggles, and I usually throw my lap counter there, and then the goggles on top, that way it can air out and dry and I'll definitely won't lose it (or forget it!). That might be an idea so you won't lose it.

DAP
February 14th, 2005, 04:38 PM
I have one of those plastic goggles case that come with the TYR goggles, and I usually throw my lap counter there, and then the goggles on top, that way it can air out and dry and I'll definitely won't lose it (or forget it!). That might be an idea so you won't lose it. Thanks CCSR. I don't have a goggle case, but that gave me an idea. I can attach the velcro counter band around the goggle strap after I'm done, that way the counter is tied to the goggles which I am less likely to lose.

Nancy Graham
February 17th, 2005, 05:18 PM
Oh no!! Now I'm going to have to get two of those things -- one for the goggles I leave at work for my occassional noon swim, and one for the goggles I keep in my normal swim bag!

scyfreestyler
April 19th, 2007, 01:49 PM
Bumped for fun...post #15 started it all.

SwimStud
April 19th, 2007, 02:16 PM
"...is that a gun in your fastskin? or are you just excited about the race?"

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Karen Duggan
April 19th, 2007, 02:45 PM
Hopefully, the only "guns" I'll ever use are attached to my torso. And with good hygiene and good fortune they will NEVER fit into my swim bag! :p

OMG, I never read that post- way tooooo funny. Thanks for bumping it up. Good one.

ensignada
April 19th, 2007, 03:03 PM
I can see why this one stuck in your memory, Matt. Yeesh.

aquageek
April 19th, 2007, 06:48 PM
"...is that a gun in your fastskin? or are you just excited about the race?"

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I feel compelled to protest this as inappropriate. However, I will also admit to chuckling as I read it.

lapswimmr
April 19th, 2007, 11:52 PM
Oh well.. Post 15 , Concealed weapons. I guess you are bringing this up because of the Va Tech shootings. What happened there was horrible beyond imagine. Completely defenseless people shot with no mercy , no feeling by the shooter, cold blooded murder all the way. The gunman slipped thur the cracks buying his guns because he lied on the federal gun purchase forms about his mental condition. The checks done did not catch the court order about his condition. Why was that??
Although some students were over 21 they could not have had a concealed weapon with them if they wanted to. Its against the law and school rules. Contrary to popular opinion many college students are completely responsible to carry a gun. Its not all booze and fun. Some police depts hire college students as police officers for the summer.. they carry guns and badges. There are lots of "21" year old students that are way older then their years as they are US armed forces vets. Some of them today are combat vets going to college after getting some college credits in the military and continuing their education after getting out. What is the answer? Gun controls only allow more slaughter of the lambs. I agree that a "Campus Marshal" program may be helpfull and a federal database of all court orders
be made of adjucations of mental health orders by courts be made to disqualify these unstable gun purchasers .

Oh well. Now lets Swim! Thats why were are here!

scyfreestyler
April 20th, 2007, 12:00 AM
Nothing to do with Va Tech at all actually. I never would have used the word "fun" in my bump were that the case. Fortress made a reference to her "guns"/biceps and the gun reference reminded me of this ages old thread for some reason.

Are you still toting a weapon to the pool?

TomBrooklyn
October 8th, 2007, 06:08 PM
I'm not sure about the adult statistics, but children in the United States are statistically about 1000 times more likely to die from a swimming pool accident than a gun related accident. Swimming pools are a hell of a lot more dangerous than guns.

I just have the usual stuff in my gym bag. Nothing unusual to report.

scyfreestyler
October 8th, 2007, 07:12 PM
This thread will live forever. One day, somebody else will chime in that they too carry a weapon in their gym bag.

The Fortress
October 8th, 2007, 07:13 PM
This thread will live forever. One day, somebody else will chime in that they too carry a weapon in their gym bag.

I do --- monofin. :joker:

scyfreestyler
October 8th, 2007, 08:21 PM
Have you a permit to carry that thing lady? :eek:

geochuck
October 8th, 2007, 08:44 PM
I do not take a deckbag. I wrap my trunks and googles in a towel. That is it simple - no crutches. When in Mexico no towel no clothing.

scyfreestyler
October 8th, 2007, 09:04 PM
When in Mexico no towel no clothing.

Egad.
:doh:

geochuck
October 8th, 2007, 09:28 PM
All I need is a swim suit and googles. The pool and ocean are right at my door.

Got Boost
October 8th, 2007, 09:30 PM
I'm a keep it simple type of guy. I have a couple of suits, towels, 2 pair of goggles, pull buoy, and a variety of workouts, and just in case, a bottle of Advil liquid gels.
Got Boost

Slowswim
October 10th, 2007, 02:11 PM
All I need is a swim suit and googles. The pool and ocean are right at my door.

Thanx for clear that up!:shakeshead:

Lets see, in my swim bag:
sneakers (evil)
small paddles
extra large paddles
long fins
pull buoy
chamios
goggles
kick board
water bottle

Warren
October 10th, 2007, 02:38 PM
towel
suit
goggles
cap
snorkel
stop watch

Flow Phaser
October 10th, 2007, 07:05 PM
Let's see....

wax earplugs
paddle pals
noodle trainer
buoyancy belt
nose clip
Little Mermaid "See Me Swim" snorkel and mask set
extreme noodle trainer

SwimStud
October 10th, 2007, 07:21 PM
peers in bag....

rubber tubing
mallet
duct tape
adult diapers
large burlap sack
map to Geek's house

wait this isn't my swim bag...

:rofl:

Slowswim
October 11th, 2007, 11:24 AM
peers in bag....

rubber tubing
mallet
duct tape
adult diapers
large burlap sack
map to Geek's house

wait this isn't my swim bag...

:rofl:
Hey! What happened to the wig and trench coat? Oh...oops...I mean that's funny.:bolt:Slow swimmer, but a fast runner!

Karen Duggan
October 11th, 2007, 02:44 PM
Good one Swim Stud! :agree:

I am happy to say that I now have breaststroke fins in my bag and they are AWESOME! I love 'em.

Now, if I could FIND my goggles, and remember a towel, I'd be all set!

Between kids dumping out my bag in the car, and me just plain old forgetting stuff at the last minute... :violin:

mjgold
September 27th, 2008, 08:33 AM
In my bag, I have:

2 swim caps (one team and one just plain blue speedo)
2 pairs of goggles
1 pair of earplugs for the cold pool
2 suits
1 towel
1 pair of flip-flops
1 watch
1 bottle of water
1 notebook to record times, workouts, etc

Oh, I just realized this thread is from 2007. Oops.

SwimStud
September 27th, 2008, 10:35 AM
In my bag, I have:

2 swim caps (one team and one just plain blue speedo)
2 pairs of goggles
1 pair of earplugs for the cold pool
2 suits
1 towel
1 pair of flip-flops
1 watch
1 bottle of water
1 notebook to record times, workouts, etc

Oh, I just realized this thread is from 2007. Oops.

Maybe you should put diary in there too? :joker:

Seriously, this is still a good thread.

mjgold
September 27th, 2008, 12:16 PM
Hyuck, hyuck. I could do with just 1 pair of goggles, a suit, a cap, and a towel, but I would lose everything else if I didn't keep it in the bag.

laineybug
September 27th, 2008, 02:00 PM
I'm lucky to have a locker and our Y furnishes towels. On Monday all six of my suits are carried to the pool and stored in the locker. Goggles, caps, fins, shampoo, rinse soap, lotion, various cosmetics, sundry OTCs, hair brush, dryer, curling iron, plastic box w/snap lid to store my glasses, watch, rings, other jewelry in while I swim, books, workouts I've printed off this site, journal, etc. have been living permanently in the locker for some time now. When I head home, the suit I wore during my swim comes home and gets washed. The only time I worry about carrying something from home to the gym is on Monday. I had to put my name on a waiting list for the locker, but the 18.00/year for rental is well worth the money. Lainey

tjrpatt
September 27th, 2008, 02:23 PM
I never leave anything in the lockers. Plus, I practice at two different places. In my swim bag, there are towels, goggles, caps, suits, deodorant, shampoo, and body wash. Plus, I have a mesh bag for paddles, pull buoy, and kick board. At Nova, people leave them on a hook. Yeah, I paid good money and I refuse to leave them on a hook for anyone to take. Not me, mine goes in the trunk of my car.

mjgold
September 27th, 2008, 03:17 PM
I only use the locker at one of the two places I practice. The other one, I don't even leave stuff in the locker while I'm there, as kids are known to come in and cut the locks. The other place is very secure, so I'd probably leave stuff there overnight if I was ever so inclined.

ande
September 27th, 2008, 03:22 PM
I wrote about this at:
http://forums.usms.org/showpost.php?p=129542&postcount=737

laineybug
September 27th, 2008, 04:34 PM
The other one, I don't even leave stuff in the locker while I'm there, as kids are known to come in and cut the locks.

We are very lucky. No one under 16 is allowed in the women's locker room. And it is enforced! There always seems to be an employee in there. Not for security, but just in there changing, going to the bathroom, cleaning, picking up towels and taking them to the wash, etc. If a woman with children under the age of 16 or girls younger than 16 try to use the locker room she is asked to use the
children's locker room. I've never had anything taken. I stopped by the Y on my way out of town one Friday afternoon to pick up goggles, cap, etc. Was in a hurry and ran into an old friend... the result was leaving my lock hanging on the top of the locker door for TWO weeks while I was on vacation. Nothing was taken, in fact nothing had even been moved around in my locker! We are truely lucky to have honest members.

2fish&1whale
September 27th, 2008, 10:13 PM
Question----
To carry my fins and kick board I use a mesh bag and after forgetting it a couple of times at home I have decided to just keep it in my car.
I've been told by some other swimmers at my pool that this could damage my fins, being exposed to the temperature changes and what not.

I don't want to ruin brand new fins......

Allen Stark
September 27th, 2008, 11:05 PM
Question----
To carry my fins and kick board I use a mesh bag and after forgetting it a couple of times at home I have decided to just keep it in my car.
I've been told by some other swimmers at my pool that this could damage my fins, being exposed to the temperature changes and what not.

I don't want to ruin brand new fins......
I always leave my fins in the car and never had any problem.

ddl
September 27th, 2008, 11:16 PM
I'd probably leave stuff there overnight if I was ever so inclined.

I swam in a pool that doesn't allow leaving locker locked overnight unless you have rented the locker ($400ish annually for renting a very small cubic locker). I didn't know this, and once left my stuffs overnight there. The next day found the staff broke my heavy Masterlock (wonder what kind of tools they used) and took my stuffs away, as with some other people's, too.

mjgold
September 27th, 2008, 11:47 PM
I accidentally left my lock on a locker at the aforementioned gym for upwards of 3 or 4 days. I had no idea where it was until I was walking out of the pool and happened to look right at it. They are very nice at the gym (Spa and Fitness Center), and the lockers range from just big enough to fit some keys, sunglasses, wallet, etc. to big enough to hang a full suit and hold a giant dufflebag.

lapswimmr
September 28th, 2008, 11:10 PM
Oh well. Here it goes ..1 piece black Nike swim suit , black filpflops in a plastic bag..yes to keep the gross stuff away from the rest of the bag. dark Barracuda standard swim goggles.black Speedo bubble cap,swim band, hair brush, big tube of Eucerin dry skin cream, set of keys, mag light, extra quarters a 20 dollar bill wrapped up in plastic wrap tucked away, and I am not commenting on the rest.. I will offer the US Navys response.. Never confirm or deny ..the presence of .... Now SWIM!

mctrusty
September 29th, 2008, 10:59 AM
Drag suit, 2 pairs of Swedes, couple cans of Old Milwaukee.

mjgold
September 29th, 2008, 11:28 AM
We can get a 6-pack of Heineken or 15 cases of OLD MILWAUKEE!

Doug Adamavich
September 29th, 2008, 03:02 PM
My workout loadout is:

One pair Crocs
Two suits (Speedo Endurance)
Two caps
Four goggles (2x mirror, 1x blue, 1x clear) in a protective bag
Small towel
Large towel
Body wash
Aveda Hair Detoxifying Shampoo
Aveda Sap Moss Conditioner
Aerosol deodorant
Lubriderm body lotion
Biofreeze gel
Lip balm (SPF15 or above)
Sunscreen for faces (SPF15 or above)
Continuous stream spray-on sunscreen (SPF30 or above)
That is usually what I carry. Remember that I live in a hot, sunny climate so my load-out may be overkill for those in northern latitudes.

The pool I swim at (Mona Plummer Aquatics Center, Arizona State University) has boards and pull bouys. I never use kickboards and barely use bouys either. No other equipment for me, kinda old-school in that regard.

3strokes
September 29th, 2008, 06:08 PM
..., 2 pairs of Swedes, .........

From the Bikini Team? Can you spare one?

scyfreestyler
September 29th, 2008, 06:21 PM
One piece swim suit Liz Claiborn black with red sides , white plastic Japanese style shower shoes in a plastic bag to keep them seperated from the rest of the bag, white bubble crepe strap swim cap, swim band, clear Barracuda Standard swim goggles in a taped up plastic box ,tube of St. Ives Fresh H20 cream moisturizer for my skin, Hair brush, blue Zoomers, combination padlock, set of keys, a small mag light, Smith & Wesson 38 special 2 inch Airlite revolver , 1 extra 5 shot speedloader with 125 grain + P hollowpoint Winchester cartridges, small leather wallet I take out of my purse (locked in car trunk before I go)with drivers license , concealed weapon permit, pool pass, 4 quarters 5 ones and a 20 dollar bill. No I dont leave my bag laying around where kids can get at it. Its locked up in the locker all the time. Sometimes the lights in the parking lot are not on.
I always enjoy quoting the gun post when this thread pops back up. :)

SwimStud
September 29th, 2008, 06:43 PM

I always enjoy quoting the gun post when this thread pops back up. :)

1 Pair Alpha Fins
2 pair Goggles
1 Shampoo
1 Leave in conditioner
1 ShowerGel
2 Paddles
1 IronMan Gel
1 Bigalow's Medicated Foot Powder
1 Chuck Norris

:cool:

ensignada
September 29th, 2008, 09:42 PM
2 locks (because I'm bound to leave one hanging on the locker)
ugly, therefore, theftproof lime flipflops
2 suits
towel
2 goggles
2 caps
2-3 nose clips (you can never, ever, have enough)
shower gel, shampoo, deodorant
Aveeno body moisturizer
baby powder (for the caps)
sports watch

ddl
September 29th, 2008, 10:23 PM
Quite a lot of you bring 2 suits (some also 2 goggles, 2 caps). Are they meant to be used on alternative days, in case one has not completely dried? Doesn't your pool have swimsuit water extracters? After using the extracter, my suit can always get dried overnight. Or is there another reason for 2 suits?

lapswimmr
September 30th, 2008, 12:02 AM
Scyfreestyler.. This is your "kinder gentler lapswimmr".. read my last post about my swim bag..I am always a kind and gentle and law abiding swimmer.. Self defense.. Its a "southern thing" That "some of yaw-all' can understand . Its something we in the southern USA are allowed.. LOL dont get too bent.If you arnt allowed the same freedom. Oh well maybe we will throw them all out soon. Nov Elections...Then "youall" can have the same rights !

Bye the way I lived in Calif 1950's -60's and in San Diego County in the late 50,s and 60,s.
Ocean beach 1959 ,LaJolla the same. Loma Pallasades Apts 1959.. Oscars Drive Inn, the best fish sandwhich I ever tasted . 1969 a big tall guy on a HS basketball team La Mesa red haired guy about 6' 11" .. Oh yea his name was Bill Walton. saw him play in HS several times.. we called him elbows and kneecaps as they were both big and he was skinny as a rail. He was tall as the sky.. evertime they gave him the ball it went in.. Not fair..Great times in Jumel ..Mt San Miguel, Bonita, Chula Vista, Silver Strand.. I could go on and on .. beautifully place San Diego Ca. The taste of Abalone is something you will never forget.. Its been 45 years since I had some!

I love Jack in the Box Tacos ! Burger King had some a couple years back they were the same.. They had to take them off as they we getting all the business...

God Bless the USA..

scyfreestyler
September 30th, 2008, 11:53 AM
Oh, I'm not bent at all....if anything I might be a bit jealous! I've numerous guns in my safe I would love to tote from time to time, but this state does not feel comfortable with me doing so. It's dangerous you know. :rolleyes:

geochuck
September 30th, 2008, 12:12 PM
When I raced in the marathon races I always had a bag with these items in it.

Wire snips to cut fishing lines that occasionally got attached to me.

Pliers to remove fish hooks that we anticipated running into. I have had a few puncture my hand when I raced and we had to cut off portions of the hook and pull the hooks through my hand.

Glucose powder

Water

Tang

Paper cups

2 swim suits

2 pair Goggles

2 bathing caps one white for nite, black for daytime.

Fly swatter and mosquito spray

Vaseline

Heat rub

Flash light

2fish&1whale
September 30th, 2008, 03:50 PM
Quite a lot of you bring 2 suits (some also 2 goggles, 2 caps). Are they meant to be used on alternative days, in case one has not completely dried? Doesn't your pool have swimsuit water extracters? After using the extracter, my suit can always get dried overnight. Or is there another reason for 2 suits?

My pool does not have a spinner and initially I thought that sucked, but having seen what daily chlorine can do to even the best suits I doubt that sending it for a spin is going to make it last any longer.
I try to wear a different suit every day because my Endurance suits have caused some pretty painful chafing and I found that by wearing 2-3 different styles I can avoid having one area rubbed raw.I probably have 4-5 suits in there at any given time.

The Fortress
September 30th, 2008, 05:11 PM
I have an inhaler in my bag. Since some think one hit off an inhaler is somehow performance enhancing, I am henceforth offering my inhaler to all competitors or gridgers. I did this last weekend, but no one took me up on the offer ... :dunno:

mjgold
September 30th, 2008, 05:12 PM
It is performance enhancing. Without it, you can't perform, or breath.

PArob83
September 30th, 2008, 05:48 PM
Not a whole lot in mine as I have a locker at some pools but if i dont... it could contain at most.
2x towels
shower supplies
extra swim suit
extra goggles
camera and underwater housing or just the Housing w/weights (if im practicing swimming with the camera(no small feat)...)
Boots, shorts.. whatever i arrived in..., keys wallet etc...
wow I thought at first I could just say a bar of soap.. I guess i dont travel as light as I thought... 9 days then my year of being dry is over!!! WHoo!:drown::wiggle:

Rykno
October 9th, 2008, 05:17 AM
Tylenol back and pain
5-6 pairs of swedes (1 metallic, 2 smoked, a blue, yellow (??) and clear with two extra silicone bands)

paddles
bouy
kickboard
stretch cordz
old folded up papers with old workouts, or team information.

vasaline (left over from OW swimming this summer)
2 caps also left over from OW swimming.

1 blue love to swim band
1 yellow live strong band

3 drag suits and one jammer

pad lock and key for those away meets when I need to take my own with me.

water bottle
pool pass

and several dry erase pens for those days I write up the workouts.

Mary1912
October 9th, 2008, 09:04 AM
Scyfreestyler.. This is your "kinder gentler lapswimmr".. read my last post about my swim bag..I am always a kind and gentle and law abiding swimmer.. Self defense.. Its a "southern thing" That "some of yaw-all' can understand . Its something we in the southern USA are allowed.. LOL dont get too bent.If you arnt allowed the same freedom. Oh well maybe we will throw them all out soon. Nov Elections...Then "youall" can have the same rights !

God Bless the USA..

This is awesome. I can't wait until I can do this. I'm working on some shooting lessons right now.

My bag..pretty tame. I shower when I get home.

Two caps
Two pairs of goggles
Combo lock
Wide toothed comb
Neutrogene Triple Moisture leave in Conditioner.
Couple of hair ties
Crocs
Rec center ID
Baby Powder

aquatune
October 9th, 2008, 05:05 PM
fins, fin socks, paddles, two caps, goggles, plastic sheet cover for workout