PDA

View Full Version : phelp's sentence.

spintwo
January 2nd, 2005, 04:00 PM
Not too bad.

Linky (http://www.smh.com.au/news/Sport/Phelps-sentenced-for-drink-drivings/2004/12/30/1104344892001.html?oneclick=true)

coach43
January 2nd, 2005, 06:17 PM
I'm sorry if this has already been addressed but....my husband says Michael can't swim in college (U of M) because he is a "pro" (accepted $$$$-advertising $$$$) and that he is only at U of M to train with his coach but not compete for U of M. Is this correct?

aquageek
January 2nd, 2005, 07:10 PM
yes

tjrpatt
January 2nd, 2005, 07:14 PM
Yes. College swimming isn't that appealing when you have about 11 million dollars a year worth of endorsements. Who cares about getting a college scholarship when college tuition is like nothing with all that endorsement money coming in. I have to say that US Olympic Gold Medal swimmers can't get arrested without the press reporting it anymore. The sport is becoming mainstream. No one cares about Olympic swimmers 12 or even 8 years ago except for the Olympics.

Alicat
January 2nd, 2005, 08:01 PM
On the question of hype. US swimming has been hyping Michael Phelps as the athlete of the year, role model for all etc. Any thoughts on how appropriate that is in comparison to his poor choice to drink and drive/probation?

My 2 cents:
He's under 21, he drank, he got behind the wheel, and drove, then he was caught. That is a good thing, bad choice, but good thing. This choice however does not take away his accomplishments in Athens 2004 or any other swimming highlight.

He will have probation (an I don't know if part of his probation is that he cannot leave the country, but that would also be a good, natural consequence if he missed some international competitions) and will hopefully learn from this the best he can.

I understand that during his personal appearances, he is willing to talk about his poor choice to drink and drive to kids, and that shows a depth of character that is impressive…

blairbecky
January 2nd, 2005, 08:03 PM
I think he can still swim for Club Wolverine. So he can still compete for them but not for the university. I don't know if this is how it works or not.

Seagurl51
January 2nd, 2005, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by Alicat
On the question of hype. US swimming has been hyping Michael Phelps as the athlete of the year, role model for all etc. Any thoughts on how appropriate that is in comparison to his poor choice to drink and drive/probation?

My 2 cents:
He's under 21, he drank, he got behind the wheel, and drove, then he was caught. That is a good thing, bad choice, but good thing. This choice however does not take away his accomplishments in Athens 2004 or any other swimming highlight.

He will have probation (an I don't know if part of his probation is that he cannot leave the country, but that would also be a good, natural consequence if he missed some international competitions) and will hopefully learn from this the best he can.

I understand that during his personal appearances, he is willing to talk about his poor choice to drink and drive to kids, and that shows a depth of character that is impressive…

One of the conditions of his probation is that he has to spend a certain amount of hours talking to kids about drinking and driving. He is required to make public experiences the way that I understood it.

~Kyra

thisgirl13
January 3rd, 2005, 02:42 PM
As far as the professional eligibility:

NCAA Collegeiate rules state you must be an amateur athlete to participate in any sanctioned swim meets. However, local clubs, YMCA, things like that, have a different set of rules, as does FINA. With FINA, and most clubs, you can be pro and still swim (obviously, or the Texas Trio and most of the other Olympic swimmers would be ineligible).....the only rule I ever ran across for YMCA and local clubs is that you cannot swim both high school and club at the same time (that obviously doesn't apply here)......

Guvnah
January 3rd, 2005, 04:39 PM
Not sure about not being able to leave the country, but I'll bet he doesn't have that restriction.

I know that for his probation he has to meet with his probation officer by phone. This is a special exemption from the usual requirement of having to meet with a probation officer in person. The judge allowed for this provision because Phelps does so much travel to meets and professional appearances and all.

Personally I have no problem with that.

Given this provision, I wouldn't be surprised if he is allowed to travel internationally as well. And if so, I would also have no problem with that.

As far as I am concerned, it's all done (assuming Phelps doesn't break the terms of his probation.) Time to put it behind and move on.