PDA

View Full Version : workouts

spintwo
January 4th, 2005, 10:39 PM
Could someone lead me to an article for swim (dryland) training?

My goals are to lose fat, tone some of my specific muscles and develop a stronger body core. Dont' want any ugly bulging muscles; just want a lean mean fighting machine. In case the workout age affects anytyhing, I'm 14.

I really need to gain some muscular endurance. 200y IM just kills me, no joke. I want to be able to finish the 200y IM feeling that I went at least 90% all the way and not be so drained after that one race. Also, with increased muscular endurance, I believe that it helps wiht breathing also, allowing longer held breaths due to oxygen/CO2 efficiency within the muslces.

Thanks!

Fred Johnson
January 4th, 2005, 11:04 PM
DO you have a coach and a team? I am guessing not. If not, go to the top of this "workout" section in the area called "forums" and click on Coach Jeremy Kipp's, Coach Mo Chambers or Coach Nate McBride's forum and check out their workouts.

Matthias
January 5th, 2005, 05:54 AM
I would concentrate on building endurance while swimming as Fred said. While swimming you are working your muscles, too, and are less likley to get injurned.
As with 14 you are still in your growing phase you should NOT consider weighttraining as you are likley to get injurned.
If you still consider to have some dryland exercises stay with body resistance exercises only as this is not as harmful to your body as training with additional weights.

brgds

Matthias

spintwo
January 5th, 2005, 11:53 PM
What do you think of the "Total Gym"?

Matthias
January 6th, 2005, 04:13 AM
Do you mean the machine?
Well as I said in your age I would not consider training with any additional weights as it is very harmful to your body.
Stay with body resistance exercises like sit-ups, crunchs etc. and wait till your a bit older (at least 16 that's the age when you can think about weighttraining with out the high injurny risk).

mattson
January 6th, 2005, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by Matthias
As with 14 you are still in your growing phase you should NOT consider weighttraining as you are likley to get injurned.

Ehh... gotta disagree with this one. I started weight training (as part of the swim season workout) as a freshman in high school, and it was at least one of the reasons why my times really dropped. (Then again, I've always been weak for my size. Swimming helps my endurance, but not so much muscle strength.)

You'll probably want to do endurance lifting, moderate-to-light weight, aiming for something like 12-15 reps. Or maybe lifting for 30 seconds, 30 seconds off. Matthias is right, that a heavy weight/few reps workout will increase the chance of injury.

You'll want to do a lot of stretching, before and after the exercise. (Beforehand, it's mostly a little warm-up, loosening up, don't overdo it.)

Do a search on the forums, there are a lot of threads (and suggestions) on dryland training. Jumping rope, push-ups, dips, stair jumping (good, but I hated it), sit-ups, etc.

Matthias
January 6th, 2005, 02:52 PM
Well it was just the way it is handled over here.
Here, you won't get access to weight training until you are at least 16.
Surely leight weight training won't be that risky as heavy weight training but if you aim for leight weights you could also go for bodyresistance excersices and save the money for the dumbbells and set the injurny risk to a minimum

brgds

Matthias

Fred Johnson
January 7th, 2005, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by mattson
Ehh... gotta disagree with this one. I started weight training (as part of the swim season workout) as a freshman in high school, and it was at least one of the reasons why my times really dropped. (Then again, I've always been weak for my size. Swimming helps my endurance, but not so much muscle strength.)

You'll probably want to do endurance lifting, moderate-to-light weight, aiming for something like 12-15 reps. Or maybe lifting for 30 seconds, 30 seconds off. Matthias is right, that a heavy weight/few reps workout will increase the chance of injury.

You'll want to do a lot of stretching, before and after the exercise. (Beforehand, it's mostly a little warm-up, loosening up, don't overdo it.)

Do a search on the forums, there are a lot of threads (and suggestions) on dryland training. Jumping rope, push-ups, dips, stair jumping (good, but I hated it), sit-ups, etc.

We did weight training in early season when we were 14 as well. After the 2d week or so, we were in the pool full time and it was bye bye weights. As you say, though, it was light weight and high rep stuff with lots of stretching before and after to go with it.

The total gym may be great. How much does it cost? Asked like the parent I have become!!:p