PDA

View Full Version : Beginning/breathing

viper10139
January 6th, 2005, 03:42 PM
Quick question,

First off, I am still a beginner, I just learned to swim about a month ago, however, I have yet to conquer the water and my nose, I have tried 3 different types of nose clips, and right now when I swim, I use a mask!! Even my teacher told me that it will just take time, and I will eventually learn and he would get goggles on me instead of the mask. However when I try the goggles just holding my breath, and then going under water vertically, I can do well, but as soon as my head goes forward, water shoots straight up my nose.

I know I am not breathing out of my mouth, I have tried breathing out my nose, with a constant pressure, and I have also tried humming as well, and just can't get comfortable with it. I would greatly appreciate learning how to do some exercises or something that could help me weeen off this mask quicker, I feel like a complete moron for using it, but I enjoy the water so much, I can't even swim to the side of the pool( Olympic Size) from the other side, thats terrible, just because I have to hold my breath, but I am getting better. I guess I am just needing some help or maybe a point in the right direction!!

Thanks to all for your support and nice advice!!

-Viper

auto208562
January 6th, 2005, 04:01 PM
Here are some tips:
1)Get rid of the mask and use a kick board. Practice putting your head in the water, exhaling everything (refer to #2), and breathing just lifting your head straight ahead and when you uare confortable with that, then to your strong side (refer to #3), without your arms so you get a feel for what it feels like. Don't get rid of the kickboard until you are confortable with this.

2)You have to exhale constantly through your nose and mouth when under water. Make sure all your air is out before taking a breath. Inhale through your mouth. DO NOT hold your breath under water. It will build up CO2 which will cause an out of breath sensation.

3)Take a breath every other 3rd stroke to your strong side for now. So what I mean is, breath/strong side, weak side, breath/strong side, etc. Don't worry about bilateral or breathing every 5-7-9 stroke right now.

viper10139
January 6th, 2005, 05:44 PM
Thanks for the update, bumping up for more replies!!

CCSR79
January 7th, 2005, 07:44 AM
When I learned how to swim as a kid, one of the things we used to have to do is something we used to call "little bottle" (take in mind I learned how to swim in Brazil, so this is a translation here!)

Anyway, stand up facing the wall, place both hands on top of it, and then bend your legs until you're underwater and blow bubbles from your mouth (not your nose), go back up, and back down, keep repeating this, keeping the same rhythm. I know you said you have no problem while you're vertical, but this gets you some practice with your breathing as well.

You can also take the kickboard idea above (which I think is very good) and do it against the wall instead so that you're stuck in one place (so you're only concentrating on your breathing, not worrying about your kick).

viper10139
January 7th, 2005, 08:42 AM
Thanks so much for the replies, I appreciate them greatly, I will continue to check the post to see if anyone else cares to update any ideas, cause I will take them to the pool on wednesday, thanks a lot!!

-Viper