PDA

View Full Version : Breathing - CL2 problem?

Darksaber
January 6th, 2005, 06:21 PM
I have a breathing issue that has just started in the past 2 months or so.

After swimming (I go about an hour), later in the day when I take a deep breathe, I get this wierd sensation in my lungs ( I think) that is almost like a tickle, but intensifies as I inhale even deeper. it usually goes away after about 24 hours.

It doesn't hurt, but it sure is aggravating.

Is this caused from a chlorine treatment in the pool - i.e. a mild acid burn?

auto208562
January 6th, 2005, 11:12 PM
If it only happens after you swim and nothing else like after you run or after you bike, then it's fair to say that it's probably due to swimming, ie chlorine. For me, after I swim, I get a pretty annoying cough/throat ache and it's from the small amount of pool water that gets in my mouth. Don't know if it's chlorine or bateria or what, but I know for sure it's from swimming.

hckchc
January 19th, 2005, 12:19 PM
I used to have the same problems! I just recently got it fixed. Have you thought of going to an allergist? I found out that I'm allergic to chlorine after swimming for 8 yrs. So you never know when you'll become allergic to something, by being put on medication I've been dropping times at my meets and swimming better in practice. Hope I helped!

Susan
January 19th, 2005, 01:32 PM
I was told you couldn't be allergic to chlorine, that it could only be a sensitivity, but I don't remember why. I'm also not sure what difference it makes except maybe in regard to treatment.

craiglll@yahoo.com
January 20th, 2005, 11:44 AM
I've been told by many allergist that you can't be allergic to chlorine. It is an iritation like asprin. Remeber, it doesn't have to be the chlorine. There are thousand of allergens in the air we breath; food we eat plus irritants. Also, you coudl have other problems that a doctor can identify. One problem many swimmers have is polyps in their sinuses. They cause irritation & breathing difficulty also.

Rob Copeland
January 20th, 2005, 02:45 PM
The following is from www.wokr13.tv :

Although some people claim to be allergic to chlorine, this condition is very rare. Allergists insist that only a very small minority of patients actually experience an allergy to chlorine, which involves a reaction of the immune system to foreign substances. Even prolonged exposure to chlorine isn't likely to produce an allergy. Instead, sufferers are most likely oversensitive to chemicals. Chlorine in swimming pools or drinking water can irritate your eyes and skin and can cause coughing, sneezing, and wheezing if inhaled. Chlorine can also increase your sensitivity to other allergies like hay fever or pet allergies. If you suffer from these symptoms, there may be too much chlorine in your pool or drinking water. It's also possible that your problem is swimmer's sinusitis (sine-you-SYE-tihs), which is caused by cooling of the skin and getting water into the sinuses. This results in a stuffy, itchy nose with some discharge after swimming. The best treatment is to switch to a non-chlorine pool sanitizer. Some other remedies include nose plugs, saline nasal sprays, decongestants, and other medications that help keep the nasal passages open. Also, drink plenty of water to keep the mucus thin and allow the nose to drain quickly. If the problem persists, be sure to see a doctor, since you could develop a serious sinus infection and complicate the problem.

Kevin in MD
January 20th, 2005, 03:11 PM
I think it would be rare to be allergic to chlorine gas or even hypochlorite salts. But to be allergic to chlorinated organics, (the result of the chlorine reacting with stuff in the water, i.e. doing its job) is much more possible.

It sounds like you are gtting irritated from the chlrinated organics that tend to hover right over the water's surface.

I get that same pain when i go on long bike rides in the summer on ozone action days.

Darksaber
January 20th, 2005, 03:47 PM
Yes, did not think it was an allergy in my case. I never get the sniffles after swimming. I do use a nose clip, but only because it's aggravating to get water in there.

This weird thing only happens occassionally - I figured that I happened to be in the pool after a chlorine treatment, and there was minor irritation in my lungs / bronchial tubes as a result