PDA

View Full Version : Coolest swimming inventions...

Alicat
January 7th, 2005, 09:18 PM
OK I was just in the absorbent towel thread and after reading the post that reminded me of the Sammy inventor...

I was wondering what are some of the coolest swimming inventions? Now, not the fads, but all the other stuff...

Sammy towel
goggles
lycra
keep going I know there is a lot more...

Shall I throw a challenge down as question if the new shark skin body suits are not all that they are cracked up to be? Have they been around long enough to have an impact on the sport yet? Are they a fad or the next wave of technology for swimming...

bckstrker
January 7th, 2005, 09:26 PM
Does anyone remember the lycra cap/goggle combination - all one thing. They mad you look really retarded but I thought they were really comfortable. They only came in navy blue though - I never could figure that one out....:p

tjrpatt
January 7th, 2005, 10:40 PM
I have to say that stretchcord that you wrap around the lane line and swim as far as you can to the other side with the resistance. In fact, I might have to purchase my own stretchcord.

lapswimmr
January 8th, 2005, 09:51 AM
Suicide Diving Masks, They were invented beore liability lawyers.

They covered your whole face and had two snorkles coming up that were curved and had the ping pong ball stoppers.. horrible contraption!! But they were goofy looking so lots of boys had to have them.

The coolest invention I think is the endless pool.. You can swim at home and dont have to worry about the parking lot "smile"

jean sterling
January 8th, 2005, 01:23 PM
GOGGLES!! Anybody who swam way back in the dark ages without them will agree.

knelson
January 8th, 2005, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by jean sterling
GOGGLES!!

I agree. Anything else is a distant second. No way I could swim without them.

Allen Stark
January 8th, 2005, 03:10 PM
GOGGLES!!!!!
Before them you could only swim as far as your eye pain would let you. Also I love my center mount snorkle. It's great for working on body position.

Allen Stark
January 8th, 2005, 03:32 PM
Bckstrker mentioned the lycra Gogglecap. The company also made a latex one. They were great for meets as the goggles could not come off on the dive.(Breaststroker e-mailed me how to make my own and they work great.)

aquageek
January 8th, 2005, 04:05 PM
I think the pool is quite a positive invention as it relates to swimming.

laineybug
January 8th, 2005, 07:12 PM
I agree with Jean, et al! Prescription Goggles at that! I lived with foggy vision when I was a kid... no sooner did my vision clear from one swim, than it was time to get back in the water.

jean sterling
January 8th, 2005, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by laineybug
I agree with Jean, et al! Prescription Goggles at that! I lived with foggy vision when I was a kid... no sooner did my vision clear from one swim, than it was time to get back in the water.

Sigh! I could use prescription goggles too.

Guvnah
January 10th, 2005, 04:35 PM
Regarding prescription goggles:

I use them. Great things!

You can get prescription goggles that are 100% accurate to your prescription through your vision service provider, but you'll pay an arm and a leg for them, and from everything I could find, they are HUGE on your face.

But you can also get ones from catalogues like Kiefer.com that are very reasonably priced. The problem is that they only measure in "diopters" and are therefore not likely to be very accurate (and also won't take into account things like astigmatism, which is a major issue for my vision correction.) So in my case they only correct about half my vision needs. It's good enough that I can see the pace clock from any lane in the pool now, and I can see BUBBLES! (Being able to see the clock is really all that matters to me... Before prescription goggles I could only BARELY see the pace clock from the first two lanes.)

Still, at about $19 bucks a pair, getting half way there is barely more expensive than just buying a regular pair of goggles anyway.

FYI, you can get 100% vision correction simply by wearing contacts and regular goggles, but I have never in my life been able to work up the guts to put foreign objects into my eyes deliberately. I get the willies just thinking about it now. We all have our particular wussiness, and this is one of mine. I'll thank everyone in advance not to taunt me about it! :) :)

Scansy
January 11th, 2005, 05:50 AM
Originally posted by Guvnah
FYI, you can get 100% vision correction simply by wearing contacts and regular goggles, but I have never in my life been able to work up the guts to put foreign objects into my eyes deliberately. I get the willies just thinking about it now. We all have our particular wussiness, and this is one of mine. I'll thank everyone in advance not to taunt me about it! :) :)

That's what I do - no willies here. Of course I started wearing contacts at 15 years old (20 years now). Never lost a contact yet. (Of course I'll probably lose one right away the next time I'm in the pool!):(

swimmieAvsFan
January 11th, 2005, 07:13 AM
as a backstroker/freestyler, i totally dug when colorado invented the aquagrip touchpads. they made backstroke starts so much easier than the old slippery "shower curtain" touchpads. since they've got grip to them, your feet don't slide off everytime you go to do a start...

Sonic Swimmer78
January 12th, 2005, 02:30 AM
Originally posted by laineybug

OMG!!! Me too!! They're UNBELIEVABLE!!! I was born with cataracts and had them removed when I was just an infant, BUT... for twenty-plus years (Since age three, when I learned how to swim) I swam with unclear, blurry vision (Lacking the chrystaline lens in my eyes made it even more difficult too!) It's been a month since I bought my prescription goggles and I love swimming even MORE now that I'm able to see my environment!

I was amazed at how much I've improved in my streamlining, starts and overall strokes since I've gotten them!!!

swim53
January 12th, 2005, 03:25 PM
Adolph Keifer's non-turbulent racing lane markers

lapswimmr
January 12th, 2005, 08:52 PM
I will second goggles.. They have been around a lot longer then you may think.. but I will say they were only really accepted for kids years ago and "exercise oddballs" as most people lounged in chairs did the Hollywood heads up breast stroke or Tarzan heads up crawl. or sun burned around pools. Today we are all in it for serious fitness which swimming is great for.. Jack La Laine was a 1960;s "exercise oddball"
but hes still at it! No white flour and sugar for him! Bless you Jack!

jean sterling
January 12th, 2005, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by lapswimmr
I will second goggles.. They have been around a lot longer then you may think.. but I will say they were only really accepted for kids years ago and "exercise oddballs"

I can remember buying a pair of goggles back in the 50s and how all the swim team kids laughed at me - with good reason as it turned out as they leaked like sieves and were totally useless.

mbmg3282
January 12th, 2005, 10:06 PM
How about the tempo trainer by Finis?

You can use is as a swimming metronome or as your personal pace clock.

I also like the monofin.

swimlong
January 14th, 2005, 01:37 AM
bathing suits that fit and stay on. I remember (way back...) as an age grouper and using a shoelace to tie the shoulder straps of my suit together so they didn't slip down. And remember those cute little front panel skirts?

jean sterling
January 14th, 2005, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by swimlong
bathing suits that fit and stay on. I remember (way back...) as an age grouper and using a shoelace to tie the shoulder straps of my suit together so they didn't slip down. And remember those cute little front panel skirts?

I remember the shoe laces (very glamorous) and the "modesty panels".

Rob Copeland
January 14th, 2005, 12:38 PM
Iím surprised that no one has mentioned the USMS Discussion Forum as one of the coolest swim inventions.

Kudus to United States Masters Swimming and web master Jim for such a wonderful toy!

breastroker
January 15th, 2005, 02:53 PM
Swim fins are over 400 years old.

But in 1987 Dr. Marty Hull came up with the best swim invention ever (for competitive swimmers). Most swimmers can work the arms with hand paddles, but the legs were not stressed enough.
Stanford worked in 1987 with the initial Zoomers and found the shorter swim fins worked the legs MUCH harder than ever expected. They kicked booty that year and during the following Olympics.

I was fortunate to be friends with Marty and got an early copy of the Zoomers. The coaches at SCAQ thought I was crazy using these small fins, but that year my legs were in the best shape of my life. My freestyle was good, but my 200 breaststroke was awesome.

Sine 1988 there have been many copies of the Zoomers, but the original design still works the legs the best.

Dr. Marty Hull also came out with the Rack, that improved foot extension for those people who were not blessed with flexible ankles.

For me the ROM strap, or Range of Motion strap help me stretch and greatly improved my streamline.

Read my article on Streamlining at http://www.breaststroke.info/waynestretch.htm

Bob McAdams
January 16th, 2005, 06:36 AM
Two of my favorites:

1) The Speedo Stroke Monitor (invented by Bill Geiser). It actually counts your stroke cycles and computes your stroke length, stroke rate, and swimming efficiency. It also has a special timer for repeated timed sets.

2) Fistgloves (invented by Scott Lemley). A fairly inexpensive tool that helps you to improve your grip on the water and your sensory awareness of what your hands are doing.

Brendan_ONeil
January 17th, 2005, 11:24 PM
Definitely googles! I'm the biggest wuss without them and usually keep my eyes closed! :o

This isn't fully swimming related, but I used to have the coolest folding frisbee that I used to take to swim meets. It was made out of nylon and had what I guess were BB's sewn around the perimeter. It was perfect when you were stuck at a meet all day or if they had trials and finals. I'd keep it in my sweat pants' pocket and it gave me and others something to pass the time with.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about or, better yet, where I can get one?

newmastersswimmer
January 19th, 2005, 05:05 PM
Originally Posted By Swimlong bathing suits that fit and stay on. I remember (way back...) as an age grouper and using a shoelace to tie the shoulder straps of my suit together so they didn't slip down. And remember those cute little front panel skirts?

I think that Jammers in particular are an excellent invention (especially when you think about the other patrons at the pool who probably do NOT want to see me strutting around the pool deck in those tight little speedos!!).

Another invention we used as agegroupers many moons ago (and I haven't seen since) was a contraption consisting of a padded bench to lie on and you put your hands in these paddles hooked to a pulley so that you could simulate swimming motions on the bench (and adjust the resistance of the paddles)....I don't know what these things were called but maybe one of y'all also remembers these things......I thought they were pretty cool (especially for butterfly as a dryland exercise).

What about those water current generating swim tanks.......they are much smaller than actual pools but you get in them and set the water current speed (like a swimming version of a treadmill) and you stay in one place while you swim against the moving current......I've never used one but it seems like I've seen them before on video (or t.v. perhaps?)...or maybe I just dreamed it up and I only think I've seen it before?.....(I sometimes get mixed up between realitly and fantasy?)

newmastersswimmer