PDA

View Full Version : Chicago Teams

Irish04
January 9th, 2005, 10:11 PM
This might be in the wrong section so I apologize if it is. I am new to the Chicago area and am currently living and working downtown. I would like to join a Master's program in the downtown area (live in Lincoln Park and work in the Loop). Which team would you all advise joining?

I've been out of the water for about 4 years now and am ready to jump back in. I swam for Notre Dame during my freshman year and that was it for me after 16 solid years.

Ideally, I would love to join a club that has access to basketball courts and pick-up games too.

Again, if this is the wrong forum, I apologize but I am looking forward to everyone's feedback. Thanks again.

NKMD
January 9th, 2005, 11:07 PM
Welcome back to swimming.

There is a listing of Master teams on the CMSA (IL) website.

http://cmsaswimming.org/_cmsa/01public/_main/index.html

under teams/clubs

See you on deck.

Irish04
January 10th, 2005, 11:44 AM
Which team is biggest? Best?

aquaEnigma
January 10th, 2005, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by Irish04
Which team is biggest? Best?

:D

swim53
January 10th, 2005, 04:20 PM
What's the answer?!

Irish04
January 10th, 2005, 04:35 PM
I don't get your response?

Any thoughts on the Lakeshore Athletic Club team? Are they competitive?

MPohlmann
January 10th, 2005, 06:00 PM
One measure of competitiveness might be how a team performed at the CMSA Championships. Last year's results are available at the cmsaswimming.org website under the Meet Market Archives. They are pdf files and take a while to download, especially if you have a dial-up connection as I do:

CMSA Meet Results 2003-2004 Season (http://cmsaswimming.org/_cmsa/01public/_main/03meetMarket/2004WinterMeetListingFull.htm)

The top 15 teams were
1 Naperville Waves Masters NWSC 1,796 .50
2 Evanston Masters EV 1,626
3 Beuhler Breakers Masters BUE 1,118 .50
4 Central Illinois Master CENT 623
5 Team Wellness Seadogs TWC 534 .50
6 New City YMCA Orcas NCO 503
7 Northwestern Aquatic Swim NASA 462
8 Bartlett Gators BPDG 368
9 Elgin Blue Waves ELG 361
10 Chicago Masters CHGO 354
11 Deerfield Coho Swim Club COHO 353
12 Chicago Smelts Masters CHSM 326
13 Oak Brook Masters Stars OBS 310
14 Barrington Area Masters BARR 288
15 Harbor Hurricanes HH 242 .50

Lakeshore Aquatics was 32nd place.

fatboy
January 10th, 2005, 06:22 PM
I think that many of the teams will allow you to attend a workout as a guest so you could get a feel for a couple of teams before you decided. There is contact info listed on the CMSA site.

Besides how competitive the team is you may want to consider workout times and locations, etc.

urban
January 10th, 2005, 09:43 PM
I'd check out the following:

Chicago Masters (IM) - South Loop/UIC
UIC Physical Ed Bldg, 901 West Roosevelt
http://www.chicagomasters.com/

or:

New City YMCA Orcas (NCO) - Near North Chicago, Old Town
New City YMCA, 1515 North Halsted (Map)

This is a personal opinion and not meant to offend any other team. Please keep in mind that Chicago Masters holds two practices a day, 5-days a week so you can hop in early morning or after that stressful day at work.

Good luck and check out:
http://www.cmsaswim.org/cmsateams.htm
for more information on CMSA teams located in your area.

Have Fun,
Mark Urban:cool:

Lucky McCharm
January 11th, 2005, 01:23 PM
Why not try the BEST TEAM Evanston masters. We workout at Evanston High School on Dodge & Dempster .Check us at evmasters.org or call 847 9620099.

Good Luck.

mattson
January 12th, 2005, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by Irish04
I don't get your response?

He is the WebMaster for the Naperville Waves. He was just kicking a little sand at the Evanston Masters, who are still shocked at being dethroned from the State title (after 22 years?). (The teams have a friendly rivalry going.)

As far as not understanding, they don't call him AquaEnigma for nothing. :D

There are lot's of measures of "best", your question is very vague. Team size, coaching (gearedfor newbies, or "elite" swimmers), pool conditions, team history, social activities... There are a lot of ways to measure what is "best" for you.

Irish04
January 12th, 2005, 10:20 PM
Which team has the youngest members? I was just looking at the Evanston website and everyone seems to be a little older than I am (23). Is one team particularly younger than the other?

This doesn't make a huge difference but it would be nice to swim/socialize with people around my age.

TIA.

urban
January 13th, 2005, 11:42 AM
You may want to check out one of the meets starting this coming weekend. Why?

By attending a meet you will be able to talk to a variety of coaches and swimmers and find out which team has what you desire. Not every team will be at every meet, but you will get a one-stop-shopping kind of atmosphere and take care of all your leg-work in one place....and meet real live people as opposed to on-the-phone assurances.

January 16th-Evanston
January 23rd-Lattoff
January 31st-Big Dog Masters (DEKALB)
February 6th-St. Charles

For more information and directions etc...log on to:

http://www.cmsaswimming.org/_cmsa/01public/_main/03meetMarket/#fishNet

craiglll@yahoo.com
January 15th, 2005, 10:45 AM
Since people seem to be looking at this site, I would like to ask a question. What do Illinois members think is the most important thing about our group? I am going to run for the secretary poostion. I live in galesburg and don't get to Chicago meets yet. If I take the joib, I will. I would like to know how members feel about the organization & how it can best serve each person.

SRA
January 20th, 2005, 06:06 PM
The link Nadine directed you to will get you to all of the info you need (except you wouldn't contact John Fitzpatrick about New City just contact the Y).

Fitz left New City and started his own team which swims out of UIC. Lots of us left the New City to swim with his new team. But our teams are "friends." We practice at the same time, albeit at different pools, and many people from both teams gradually show up at Copa (1637 N. Clybourn) between 10 and 10:30 p.m. every Thursday. The teams have an age range of ? 22 to 45.

Nothing against Chicago Masters, but their workout times are not doable for me personally. I couldn't get to practice by 5 p.m. on a weeknight, and I'm not inclined to get up for a 5:30 a.m. weekday or 8 a.m. Saturday workout.

Sounds like one of these teams would be what you're looking for. I'd say go to the bar if you don't feel like contacting the coaches.

Sarah

alexhelfers
January 29th, 2005, 02:53 AM
Hi-

I thought I'd throw in that 3 ex-Notre Dame swimmers now swim with the New City YMCA team. We're a pretty young group, and definitely pretty social. To update Mark Urban's reply, John Fitzpatrick has actually moved on from the Y to start his own masters team, the Chicago Blue Dolphins, that swim down at UIC.

I'm pretty much acting as the New City YMCA team contact right now. If you're interested, feel free to email me (alexhelfers@hotmail.com) or call me at 773.405.4274. As Mark mentioned, we're located right in Old town at North and Halsted. www.orcamasters.com

If you're looking for something further south, The blue dolphins are a really good group as well. You can email John at swim@jifitzpa.com or check out their website (chicagobluedolphins.com).

Chicago Masters is another good group, although I haven't trained with them.

-Alex