PDA

View Full Version : Please help a new coach

Zerotheory
January 10th, 2005, 11:57 AM
Hello
My name is billie vinueza and i just started to coach a swim team at the SAAA level. My question is can anyone help me out in ways as giving advise or just some suggestions for workouts for my kids they range from 5 years of age all the way to 18 years old so if anyone could or would like to help me out with planning and lesson plans for my7 team i would greatly appreciate it.
thanks
to whoever posts

Alicat
January 10th, 2005, 12:34 PM
For the younger group of kids keep it fun and add games or describe things in kid terms like for starts, describe to the swimmer going off the deck for a dive or off the block like a rocket ship or a superhero flying. We called it super hero starts!

As for older kids, technique drills are always good with the occasional game thrown in like decreased breathing per 25 or 50, pyramid workouts, starts and turns, sharks and minnows is always fun with the regular yardage.

Or even try the serpentine workouts where all swimmers are lined up in lane 1 at the start and lane 1 and it's right arm, go under the ropes/flip turn under the ropes, lane 2 is left arm, lane 3 is pull, lane 4 is kick without kickboards, lane 5 is regular stroke and lane 6 is sprint out then of the pool and back to lane 1 again! You can change up the strokes for each serpentine.

Good luck!
;)

Alicat
January 10th, 2005, 12:39 PM
There are also some good workout books for age group swimmers on line...

Zerotheory
January 10th, 2005, 02:45 PM
hey i was wondering about those books you had spoken about if you could leave me a message with some sites i can look at i would appreciate it thanks alot

swimmore
January 10th, 2005, 02:53 PM
www.asca.org

Books Video and Certs

Also-Ebay type in the search swimming books or videos.

or buy new at some of the bookstores.

Good Luck!

swimr4life
January 11th, 2005, 11:45 AM
For some reason, that link doesn't work!....it sent me to the Austalian Shepard Club of America instead of the coaches's site! Billie, just type in American Swim Coaches Association and you will find the site! Good luck.

swimmore
January 11th, 2005, 11:50 AM
www.swimmingcoach.org

Sorry about sending you to the dogs! Maybe we can dog paddle over to the correct site.:cool:

Alicat
January 11th, 2005, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by swimmore
www.swimmingcoach.org

Sorry about sending you to the dogs! Maybe we can dog paddle over to the correct site.:cool:

Yes, dog paddle is an excellant swimming drill too!:D