PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Swimming Tee Shirt Sayings

laineybug
January 11th, 2005, 05:18 PM
In another thread a member drew a parallel between learning to get off the block at the sound of the start horn, and Pavlov 's dogs salivating at the sound of a bell. That reminded me of my favorite tee from my college days. On the front: Does the name Pavlov ring a bell? On the back: No, but it makes me drool!

So, that thought led me to thinking about all the cute tee shirts I've seen kids wearing at meets and was wondering what your favorite swim tee shirt saying is?

At the last meet I timed there was a young woman there who was truely very fast. Her tee said, "Don't think of it as losing, think of it as being beaten by a girl!"

scyfreestyler
January 11th, 2005, 05:25 PM
I don't know of any but I would like to get a few new swimming tee's. Hopefully some good ideas will pop up in this thread.

gull
January 11th, 2005, 05:51 PM
"When the going gets tough, the sprinters get out!"
---University of Alabama, ca 1977

"It's not the meat, it's the motion."
---Harvard Women's Swimming, ca 1976

Seagurl51
January 11th, 2005, 06:07 PM
The front of the shirt says "Fight to the Finish" and the back says "Trample the Weak; Hurdle the Dead." And my friend got me a shirt of X-mas that says "I am the warrior." Those are two of my favorite shirts. They are the only two real attitude shirts I have...I'm looking forward to wearing them at my first meet!! :D

~Kyra

knelson
January 11th, 2005, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by gull80
"When the going gets tough, the sprinters get out!"
---University of Alabama, ca 1977

I had a Speedo shirt with a similar theme. One side said "long distance workout" and it showed a cartoon of swimmers in a pool. The back said "sprinters workout" and showed a guy laying on a towel on the pool deck. I liked it because both sprinters and distance swimmers can appreciate the humor.

Sam Perry
January 11th, 2005, 06:57 PM
Another Alabama shirt ca. 1987:

Don't cross the river if you can't swim the tide!

I guess Gambril had some creative flare.

My favorite shirt of all time (so far)

Triathlon: Why excel in one sport when you can be mediocre in three?

Sparky
January 11th, 2005, 07:02 PM
Not exactly swimming, but my high school water polo team had T-shirts that said "Reading High Water Polo" on the front, and on the back was a guy standing on a pool deck, scratching his head and looking at the ripples of water in the pool.

The caption read, "Don't even ask me where the horse is!"

swimr4life
January 11th, 2005, 11:36 PM
My favorite T-shirt is my Georgia Masters Swimming shirt. On the back it says, "The older we get, the faster we were." ;)

Mark in MD
January 12th, 2005, 10:43 AM
Hello all,

First of all, a Happy New Year to everyone. Now, here's a tee shirt I like wearing.

FRONT:

(Over left breast) "Swimming easy?"

BACK:

"If swimming were easy, it would be called (check all that apply):"

[] Football
[] Baseball
[] Basketball
[] Soccer
[] Tennis

[] are check marks in boxes. I don't remember all on the list, but you get the idea, I'm sure. It's raised a few eyebrows.

Have a great day.

Mark

Guvnah
January 12th, 2005, 11:41 AM
"Eat my wake."

jim clemmons
January 12th, 2005, 12:05 PM
Although I can't figure out how to add all the additional symbols emphasizing the sounding out of the phrase, it is a tee-shirt with a Nike emblem I picked up at Baltimore LC Nat's in 2000.

aquaticus kick-assicus
(swimmers kick butt)

Jim

swimshark
January 12th, 2005, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by swimr4life
My favorite T-shirt is my Georgia Masters Swimming shirt. On the back it says, "The older we get, the faster we were." ;)

That's one of my favorites, too. My dad has that one.

I like "Instant swimmer, Just add water"

swimshark
January 12th, 2005, 01:14 PM
I have a few of the shirts from this web site. They have some really good ones.

http://www.swimts.com/

Allen Stark
January 12th, 2005, 02:04 PM
1) Don't touch me I'm tapered
2)Old age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill
3) (front) Shaved (back) It's a swim thing ,you wouldn't understand.

mbmg3282
January 12th, 2005, 02:51 PM
I like the Indy SwimFit shirt from the 2003 SC Nationals.

"The beatings will stop when the morale imporves."

All 70 of the swimmers they brought to the meet were wearing these.

jim clemmons
January 12th, 2005, 03:15 PM
Another one I like (Walnut Creek has a bunch) is:

"Go the extra mile. It's not crowded!"

Rich Abrahams
January 12th, 2005, 05:55 PM
I can't remember where I saw this one, but it made me laugh:

"It's not whether you win or lose...
It's whether I win or lose."

WPSWIMS
January 12th, 2005, 06:04 PM
I have seen this at meets:

"Aging slows the swimming, Swimming slows the aging"

Also our team gave out a shirt to one of our members many years ago that stated this:

" Aged Grouper" It was a play on the term "age group" swimming for us older folks.

dorothyrde
January 12th, 2005, 08:31 PM
Being a mother of swimmers, one of my favorites was a t-shirt that said something to the effect of having sons who shaved their legs, and daughters who did not.

swimmer_steph
January 12th, 2005, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by Allen Stark
3) (front) Shaved (back) It's a swim thing ,you wouldn't understand.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh - that is sooooo good. I have to find one of those!!!

thisgirl13
January 13th, 2005, 04:33 PM
When I was swimming with the junior national team, one of our many traditions was Hell Week, which basically consisted of two 7,000 yard practices a day the entire week before Christmas. For surviving it, we each received two t-shirts; one for us, one for our mothers.

Our t-shirts said (front): I survived Hell Week.... (back) I just don't have the energy to care yet.

Our mom's shirts said (front): My (son/daughter) is a USA junior national swimmer (Back) I wash the towels.

To this DAY, my mother still has that shirt. She even had a little pin made out of the slogan on the back, and she wore it to every one of my swim meets.

Swimmer Bill
January 13th, 2005, 07:02 PM
"Swimming is our second favorite sport." -- Colonials "1776" Nationals T-shirt, 1992 USMS Short Course Nationals, Chapel Hill, NC

swimlong
January 14th, 2005, 01:33 AM
Originally posted by Swimmer Bill
"Swimming is our second favorite sport." -- Colonials "1776" Nationals T-shirt, 1992 USMS Short Course Nationals, Chapel Hill, NC

OK, I'm slow...what's the first favorite?

aquageek
January 14th, 2005, 10:30 AM
Just a guess but given it is Chapel Hill or as those of us from Chapel Hill call it, "The Southern Part of Heaven," basketball is probably the first favorite sport.

That's funny they had Nats in Chapel Hill, must have been at the Koury?

Suit Chaser
January 14th, 2005, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by Swimmer Bill

The Colonials are based in the Philadelphia, Delaware, and Southern New Jersey area.

It wasn't a basketball reference.

It was a sex reference.

gull
January 14th, 2005, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by Suit Chaser
It wasn't a basketball reference.

It was a sex reference.

I had figured that out, but then again, I'm not a Tarheel so I don't rank basketball higher.

AnnG
January 15th, 2005, 12:52 AM
"Masters Swimming: The last one alive wins"

ALM
January 17th, 2005, 06:58 PM
My favorite is a Davis Aquatics Masters (DAM) shirt from probably 5-10 years ago. I wish I had one... It said:

How am I swimming?
Call 1-800-DAM-FAST

Fishgrrl
January 18th, 2005, 02:56 PM
Anna - we still have them!! We get a lot of compliments on them.

Cheers,
Kari

Karen Duggan
January 18th, 2005, 11:42 PM
As Jim pointed out Kerry O'Brien has a lot of great ones. Let me check my closet:

For Hawaii nationals : "ComeonIwannaraceya"

Indy Nationals: "Start Your Engines"

Training camp: "Laps are for sissies. Get on the clock" (he got some complaints about this one!)

Training camp: "Those who say it cannot be done should get out of the lane of those who are doing it." - Chinese Proverb (kinda)
**my personal favorite

Training camp: "Survivor"

Team shirt: "Walnut Creek Masters Swimming. The most fun you can have with a suit on!" (*as mandated by USMS rule 102.14)

We are truly blessed to have Kerry as a coach. He's also an amazing artist and very funny!

PS It was nice to meet you at my brother's work, Jim :)

aquageek
January 19th, 2005, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by gull80
I had figured that out, but then again, I'm not a Tarheel so I don't rank basketball higher.

That's a low blow! And, it's Tar Heel. As a welcome transplant, I'll let that one slide.

SwiminONandON
January 21st, 2005, 12:43 PM
"Nobody trains for second place." ~ don't remember which team or when

"Don't wait for your ship to come in, swim out to it." circa 1995

"Where the mind goes the body will follow." circa 94 - a good fly quote by the way - can substitute head for mind

"The harder you train the harder it is to surrender." also don't know when or where this one came from.

And if you completed the two a days during winter break "Welcome to hell you've sold your soul to Sherry." The then coach of the club/age group team.

tjburk
January 22nd, 2005, 02:24 AM
My favorite is still:

Above the front pocket...Train Hard, Losing is not an option.

On the back...Pain in practice is weakness leaving your body!

Glenn
January 22nd, 2005, 01:37 PM
I loved the one submitted by Rich Abrahams!!! It's not if you win or lose, it's if I win or lose! LOL

Here's one we had at Rose Bowl Masters:

"It's not how far you swim, it's how far you swim hard"

waves101
January 25th, 2005, 09:22 AM
Real athletes don't play games.....they swim.

The Arm
January 27th, 2005, 01:33 PM
South Carolina Gamecocks was the best I ever saw, "You can't lick our Cocks" Another couple that I like, "Fly by night" silhoette of a butterflyer, also "Hydrodynamic engineer at work" "Fluid dynamics 101"
One more I like,

On the front:
~Why isn't swimming more popular?~
On the back:
~Because you don't "play" swimming.~

Keep it swimming, keep it safe.
The Arm

T.J.
January 30th, 2005, 09:49 PM
"Second place is the first place loser"

Gkami
February 14th, 2005, 04:55 PM
One I made in HS was with the atomic symbol of Chlorine on the back and it said:
"Chlorine makes everything taste better."

Kari
February 14th, 2005, 06:11 PM
This isn't specifically a swimming quote (I think it's actually a running quote) and it goes something like this:

"Somewhere in the world someone is training when you are not."

WPSWIMS
February 14th, 2005, 07:30 PM
Speaking of running, this was a shirt I saw many years ago on an injured runner at practice.

"Today's runners are tomorrow's swimmers."

annskylar
June 10th, 2006, 03:37 AM
"WDFA - We Don't F__ Around... It's the Water."

globuggie
June 10th, 2006, 09:16 AM
I'm suprised no one's posted this one, I've seen it several times:

"Not all athletes wear shoes"

Frank Thompson
June 10th, 2006, 05:20 PM
"Swimming is a lot like carpeting - its wall to wall"

Mel
June 10th, 2006, 07:05 PM
2006 YMCA Indy SwimFit National Team t-shirt:

"We may not win many events, but we look good in a hotel pool"

2007 YMCA Indy SwimFit National Team t-shirt:

"For every winner there are at least 12 losers, chances are you are one of them"

FindingMyInnerFish
June 11th, 2006, 05:50 AM
Originally posted by Winnie
Speaking of running, this was a shirt I saw many years ago on an injured runner at practice.

"Today's runners are tomorrow's swimmers."

These days I'm both running and swimming. Maybe could say something like...

Swimming keeps my running afloat.

Just crossed my mind when I saw this.

m2tall2
June 11th, 2006, 04:18 PM
This one I got an a local age group championship meet sometime around 1990 when the "This is your brain on drugs." campaign was still pretty big.

FRONT: "This is your brain." (Black & white picture of brain)

BACK: "This is your brain on Chlorine..." (Large technicolor brain wearing googles on a starting block.) "Any questions?"

geochuck
June 11th, 2006, 04:48 PM
I like this T shirt

flyincip
June 11th, 2006, 09:34 PM
I saw this once

"Yeah, we shave there!"

jonblank
June 13th, 2006, 12:13 AM
From Johns Hopkins mid to late '70's:
(Hopkins team mascot is the Blue Jay)
Smoke 'em, Jays
Remember, this was the 70's...we thought that one was hilarious. Too politically incorrect now.

For a while, Johns Hopkins swimmers were
Fueled by Southern Comfort.
When Frank Comfort moved to UNC, that tag went on the Carolina t-shirts for a while.
Never quite made sense, since Frank was from somewhere in Pennsylvania, and Baltimore is north of the Mason Dixon line. Plus, we really only had money for National Bohemian beer. Liquor was well beyond our budget, particularly a name brand.

When Cal Berkeley trained an amazing 30,000 yards in one day, everyone else was incredulous. The swimmers memorialized the event (and psyched everyone else out in the process) when they showed up at NCAAs with a dark blue shirt, lettered in yellow, "30,000 - B.F.D". I'm still convinced that they won the meet before they even got in the pool that year.

My favorite of all time, though, will always be Indiana's
What's Up, Doc? on the right back shoulder of a gray t-shirt. I was fortunate enough to swim at Doc's summer camps for several years as an age grouper. From "Science of Swimming", to multiple NCAA titles, (as swimmer and as coach) and the English Channel swim, Doc Counsilman was The Man.

gull
June 13th, 2006, 09:00 AM
Last summer I bought a tee shirt on Ocracoke which reads on the back: "Probably too old to be doing this."

From the Sun Belt Masters Championships in Charlotte, Jan. 2006: "Ask me how it feels to be awesome."

bbpolhill
June 13th, 2006, 09:14 AM
A friend on my team obtained a t-shirt at a New England Masters meet...I'm not sure if I remember it exactly.

It was a comical picture of sperm racing to an unfertilized egg and the caption was something like:

"First place is the only place that matters"

I'm sure I have it wrong, but maybe someone who has seen one can make the correction.

swimmieAvsFan
June 13th, 2006, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by bbpolhill
A friend on my team obtained a t-shirt at a New England Masters meet...I'm not sure if I remember it exactly.

It was a comical picture of sperm racing to an unfertilized egg and the caption was something like:

"First place is the only place that matters"

I'm sure I have it wrong, but maybe someone who has seen one can make the correction.
not sure if we're talking about the same shirt, but i saw one this past weekend at the chesapeake bay swim that had a whole fleet of sperm racing, with a caption something like "it doesn't matter who's first off the block. it's the first one to the finish that matters."
either way, both funny (if not rather un-pc!) shirts...
:)

bbpolhill
June 13th, 2006, 09:22 AM
That's the one Mollie!

Thanks!

h2osmiley
June 13th, 2006, 09:28 AM
and Baltimore is north of the Mason Dixon line

I'm going to have to call you out on that one Jon....the Mason Dixon line is the border between PA and MD, so technically Maryland (and B-more) is in the "south."

Anyways...I hope our team didn't cause too much trouble with your team at dinner that night at Nats. Thanks for inviting us!

Jen

gull
June 13th, 2006, 09:30 AM
Actually, it's not necessarily the fastest...but that's beyond the scope of this thread.

FindingMyInnerFish
June 13th, 2006, 03:59 PM
But the problem with swimming, which runners don't have, is that even if swimmers wore t-shirts in the water, it would be hard to read your competitors' shirts while swimming.

Runners have cool things on the backs of shirts so that those behind them can at least be entertained while they're being beaten. ;)

geochuck
June 13th, 2006, 04:41 PM
This is my 1956 Olympic sweat shirt

GoRedFoxes
June 14th, 2006, 01:29 PM
In college, we had "go in hard, come out wet". But what I would like to do, is put "Kiss My" on the bottom back of my suit. This way, the folks behind me can get all angry, and fall further behind.:D

dvarner
June 14th, 2006, 03:53 PM
On the lighter side, some parallel ha-ha's about our priority problems and attempts to multi-task:

I always chuckle when I see the Hash House Harriers motto:

"We're a drinking club with a running problem"

Or the golf addage:

"A good walk spoiled"

DV

iwudori
June 15th, 2006, 02:06 PM
"I do more before 8:00 AM than you do all day."

Rusty Shackle
May 5th, 2009, 08:57 PM
In high school we wanted to use: "Swimmers Always Wear Their Rubber Caps" but coach wouldn't let us.

My younger brothers high school team had shirts that said

"Swimmers Like It Wet"

Apparantly no problem with that.:D

Jim Culp
May 6th, 2009, 08:36 AM
"Start Hard, Turn Smart, Finish Fast"

DolphinGirl
May 6th, 2009, 10:01 AM
"chlorine is my perfume" and
"swimming...is there anything else?"

craig68
May 6th, 2009, 10:21 AM
"Pain is temporary. Pride is forever."

orca1946
May 6th, 2009, 10:59 AM
How to win -nail the start- have a great turn - touch first!

bamueller
May 6th, 2009, 12:35 PM
Triathlon: Why excel in one sport when you can be mediocre in three?

That is hilarious!

SLOmmafan
May 6th, 2009, 05:48 PM
Our high school shirt motto:

"The meek may inherit the Earth, but they will never rule the water"

JMiller
May 8th, 2009, 05:40 PM
This is my 1956 Olympic sweat shirt

That's pretty cool George! It still looks brand new!

geochuck
May 8th, 2009, 05:52 PM
It has only been worn twice. I wore it in Nanaimo at a master meet a few years ago. It was not a team Canada sweat shirt it was sold at the swim venue in Australia.

Red60
May 11th, 2009, 06:47 PM
Haven't been on the forum too much in the last month or so, and quickly scanned the thread titles and read, to my alarm and dismay:

Favorite Swimming Tee Shirt SLAYINGS.

Glad to discover after the double take that I was mistaken. ;)

2manyxaroundtheblock
May 11th, 2009, 07:17 PM
Our team shirt is a take off of the Grateful Dead...It reads "Grateful We're Not Dead Yet" in vintage Grateful Dead script and on the back it says "World Tour Sold Out" and lists our swimmers last names and fictitious countires and states i.e., Bigg, Denial......Keenan, Lickthestein.....

ande
October 19th, 2009, 12:35 PM
"Swim Faster Faster"

"the Wetter the Better"

Calvin S
October 19th, 2009, 12:42 PM
CAAs 2005 conference meet my sophomore year, the UNC-Wilmington mens team was going for their 4th straight men's title. their shirt backs had a hand with 4 fingers (with championship rings on them) in a rather lewd gesture with the caption "it hurts more with four"

i never quite figured out how the coach let them get away with that.

BR KnuckleDragger
October 19th, 2009, 01:17 PM
My favorite shirt:

"You must be fast, cause I was haulin' ass when I passed you!"

JimRude
October 19th, 2009, 01:45 PM
"California uber alles" - 1986 Cal men's swimming

"More powerful than a speeding milk truck" - 1985? or 1986, in tribute to Vic Riggs, who was hit by a milk truck at Pac-10s and swam at NCAAs a few weeks later.

EricOrca
October 21st, 2009, 03:35 AM
Our current Aquasol Masters Swimming T-Shirt says on the back:

"I used to be faster, but now I'm a Master"

I only wear it to meets.

ALM
December 30th, 2010, 10:45 PM
Speaking of t-shirts, how many do you own? See attached photo. I stopped counting at 130. The vast majority are swimming t-shirts...

jaadams1
December 30th, 2010, 10:49 PM
My favorite t-shirt saying was one we had in college..."Your momma cheers for our team" :applaud:

orca1946
December 31st, 2010, 03:10 PM
Your toughest set is what we warm up with !

Queen
December 31st, 2010, 07:19 PM
We have a local swim team called the Nadiators, their t-shirts read "GO NADS". :D

Tri-ingToTurn40
February 9th, 2011, 01:02 PM
My daughter's team has this:

If global warming floods the earth,
Swimmers will rule the world.

Ahelee Sue Osborn
February 9th, 2011, 02:19 PM
My latest FAVORITE!

orca1946
February 24th, 2011, 12:59 PM
"My warm up is your distance set"

swimshark
February 24th, 2011, 07:53 PM
"My warm up is your distance set"

Along the same lines and towards runners, I have wanted to print up on that says "My dry land is your sport"

Anna Lea, I have a friend who, when she moved, had 8 dressers full of swimming t-shirts. I'd guess she was well over 200.