PDA

View Full Version : Sub-Acromial Decompression?

scyfreestyler
January 12th, 2005, 01:58 PM
I went for a follow-up with my ortho today and he thought my decision to seek PT was a good one since my shoulder was not recovering on it's own. He also said that the popping and clicking in my impingement could be taken care of by a sub-acromial decompression if PT was not succesful. From what I hear, PT is typically succesful at correcting these problems. I would tend to think that since it was caused by a traumatic incident and not a chronic overuse situation that time and PT will correct it. Apparently the strengthening of the cuff muscles should create more space between the tendons and the acromion. Now, in the event that PT does not help me has anybody here had this procedure on their shoulder? How long was the recovery? I would suspect it would be somewhat quick since no muscle is being tampered with. Thanks for the advice. Matt

Fritz
January 12th, 2005, 02:01 PM
I had it done in around Thanksgiving of 2003 and started swimming right at the 1st of January 2004. I swam in a meet in late January 2004.

scyfreestyler
January 12th, 2005, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by Fritz
I had it done in around Thanksgiving of 2003 and started swimming right at the 1st of January 2004. I swam in a meet in late January 2004. So within a month or two is reasonable. That is good to hear. How long did you do PT to correct the problem? Was it a chronic problem?

Fritz
January 12th, 2005, 02:40 PM
I had it done in around Thanksgiving of 2003 and started swimming right at the 1st of January 2004. I swam in a meet in late January 2004.

Fritz
January 12th, 2005, 02:45 PM
Sorry for the duplicate post. It was not a chronic problem. I started having bad pain at the start of the summer season and put up with it until I finally couldn't deal with the pain. The xrays showed pretty bad bone spurs. My surgeon said they were not going to go away so I decided it was time to do something about it.

msgrupp
January 12th, 2005, 06:07 PM
on both shoulders in 1991. Right in Jan and Left in Mar. Right shoulder was an easier heal than the left. Went back to swimming in probably late April or early May. Only problem was that I managed to create scar tissue on the left side by swimming over the summer. March 1992 had surgery to remove the scar tissue (thought it might be a torn rotator cuff). Stayed on kickboard for about 6 weeks and then slowly added back swimming (breaststroke only).

Was in PT for months (more or less from January 1991 to September 1991).

Take the time to heal----it can be a one time only surgery IF you do what you should and allow it to fully heal!

It is arthroscopic and what they do is shave the underside of the acromion. And maybe do a little "cleaning and dusting" of frayed tissues.