PDA

View Full Version : Post-workout recovery drinks

swimr4life
January 13th, 2005, 09:09 AM
Has anyone used a post-workout "recovery" drink on a regular basis? Do they actually help you? I've been considering trying one to see if it helps. The science behind the idea makes sense. I'm just wondering if anyone out there has used one and seen a difference.

Leonard Jansen
January 13th, 2005, 09:27 AM
I have and they DO work.

However, I suggest that you get a copy of Ed(mund) Burke's book "Optimal Muscle Performance and Recovery" Ed was a friend of mine (he died in 2003 while on a cycling training ride) and THE expert in this field. Well worth the read and you can get it at Amazon.com for around $5.00.

-LBJ

etrain
January 13th, 2005, 09:45 AM
In college we would drink a product called Gatorlode or something like that. It was basically a gallon of Gatorade condensed into a 12oz can. It was a little thick but it did the trick. So I would say that they do work, I have also heard that fig newton's are great right after a workout!!!

etrain

Scansy
January 13th, 2005, 10:43 AM
My vote is for either an omelette and bloody mary or pizza and beer - depending if it's a morning workout or evening workout.:)

knelson
January 13th, 2005, 10:44 AM
I've heard good things about Endurox but haven't used it personally.

EyeoreSAM
January 13th, 2005, 10:51 AM
I use a line of products made by advocare---they really work. There line of sports performance drinks, etc. really do make a difference.

Rob Copeland
January 13th, 2005, 11:34 AM
Beth,

When I was training heavily for long races, I used Endurox and was very happy with my recovery between workouts. My other recovery drink of choice was liquid Tylenol.

And one other note since the Endurox contains 280 calories per 12 ounce serving, I would typically only take it during heavy training.

All sorts of Endurox propaganda can be found at www.enduroxr4.com

blondi
January 13th, 2005, 12:30 PM
There's a post on another forum, CoolRunning, that's all about chocolate milk, some say it compares to Endurox. I use chocolate milk myself, Ovaltene (sp).

justforfun
January 13th, 2005, 03:09 PM
If chocolate milk is good, cafe mocha must be better!

Damage Inc
January 14th, 2005, 03:51 PM
I use Endurox after my workouts and find it helps my recovery better than plain water. The taste needs getting use to and I recomend fruit punch. I have heard that GI upset can be a minor problem, so dont try it for the first time at a big meet.