PDA

View Full Version : My first mile swim

mbriones
January 13th, 2005, 11:12 PM
Well, I've only been at it since October but my endurance has come back (I used to be able to cycle for hours...). After I swam 1200 yards without stopping last week and felt like I could have kept on going (I had to get out to let someone else into the pool - long story), I decided I will do a mile tomorrow. I'm not saying attempt; I'm going to do it.

Wish me a good swim. I will stretch carefully before I get into it. I notice around lap 30, I feel like I can go forever. I think that must be endorphins...

-Marian

scyfreestyler
January 14th, 2005, 12:04 AM
Good luck!! The mile is a major mark of achievement. I felt like a million bucks once I started swimming miles. The best part is telling your non-swimmer friends about it. When they hear "mile" they think you are some sort of super hero swimmer. Let us know how it goes.

Darksaber
January 14th, 2005, 09:29 AM
My guess is that you could go two miles :)

I was surprised that once I understood how to use my energy properly as I swam, I was able to move right up to two miles.

I encourage you to keep on going if you can!

swimmer_steph
January 14th, 2005, 12:54 PM
I'm sending you good luck vibes! Please let us know how you did!

mbriones
January 14th, 2005, 01:14 PM
I woke up feeling under the weather. Swimming always makes me feel better but I think it is so sucky that after planning on doing it today, I feel like I'm not well.

So, I'm going to set out to do it with the hopes that swimming will be a good medicine! I'll let you know. T minus 90 minutes until the swim....

BACK TO WORK FOR ME!

mbriones
January 14th, 2005, 05:33 PM
Well despite feeling under the weather, I made my mile! It didn't break any speed records (well, maybe slow ones) but I did it!

My husband even came to watch.

Around lap 50 or so, the endorphins kicked in and I kept imaginging Strauss waltzes playing as I swam.

I started getting tired at lap 66, but with 6 to go, I wasn't going to quit.

It took me 51 minutes, and I felt rather stoned when I got out of the pool. Now I"m just plain tired and am going to take a rest.

(Throwing confetti) Shoulders are a little sore....

-Marian

scyfreestyler
January 14th, 2005, 07:11 PM
Congrats!!!! I was going to mention that you should really work up slowly in yardage to avoid shoulder problems but you should be fine with a bit of rest and some ice. You might want to fall back to 1200 yds. and work up slowly. 10% per week is the suggested rate of increase I believe.

Darksaber
January 15th, 2005, 12:23 PM
Onward and upward!

fatboy
January 15th, 2005, 04:01 PM
Congratulations on your mile! Nice of your husband to come out to support you too!

lapswimmr
January 15th, 2005, 09:21 PM
One Mile! Congratulations! Thats a long way in a lot of ways.. Its one mile across the Golden Gate.. 0ne mile from Alcatraz to the mainland and 72 laps in my pool. I swim a mile time to time ..its a long way and a milestone when you you think where it can take you! Keep up the good swimming!

mbriones
January 16th, 2005, 11:40 AM
Yes, I guess it is a mile across the Golden Gate..I live in the Bay Area (or does that show in my signature?). My sister is a triathelete and got me into Masters Swimming in an indirect way (they were looking for a helper with the website and here I am!) She wants me to swim more freestyle though, and right now freestyle sucks my breath. I can do 50 yards of it and then I want to die. Breast stroke is my thing and I feel like I can do that all day long.

I've come down with my cold but have no fever. I'd like to swim tomorrow; my sister also tells me that if you have a cold - providing there is no cough - you feel 'normal' in the water. I don't feel that bad; I think I felt worse yesterday and very tired. That might have been my mile talking....

Nancy Graham
January 16th, 2005, 04:35 PM
Major congrats on you mile!!!! Nice goin'. It's been a long time since I have swum a mile and I think you have inspired me to set that as a goal. I swim half a mile easily (even if with some boredom), so should be able to work up to the mile. I will take the advice of adding 10% a week. That means that this week I should swim 1000 yards each time (my 3 times a week) before adding more.

Thanks for the inspiration, and again -- KUDOS to you.

Nancy

lapswimmr
January 16th, 2005, 10:34 PM
I have swam with colds many times.. Not with fever though, You can swim the easy breaststroke, or just do some water jogging or water walking if your not up to a swim, hope you feel better soon.

partyhat
January 16th, 2005, 10:54 PM
When I read that swimming a mile in the pool is 72 laps, I got a leg cramp just thinking about it.

Mad props to you, and anyone else who has accomplished this.

mattson
January 17th, 2005, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by mbriones
I started getting tired at lap 66...

That's another reason why the short course race is a 1650, instead of an 1800. :D