PDA

View Full Version : worst bathing suit patterns

swimlong
January 14th, 2005, 01:46 AM
As I was posting a reply to "coolest swimming inventions" about improvements in bathing suits, one of the things that struck me was the variety of patterns now available. "Back in the day" the choices seemed to be solid or stripes. But that got me thinking...what are some of the ugliest/stupidest suit patterns you've seen or had to wear? Three come to mind for me:

1. My first swim team had thin, vertical black and yellow stripes. We looked like bumble bees, and of course we endured endless cracks about "buzzing off".

2. A summer swim camp I attended in the 70s had white bathing suits. Yup, solid white. And they were one of the first lycra suits...so you can imagine how long they lasted before becoming transparent. Embarrassing...

3. About a month ago I tried on a reversible suit. One side had an aquatic animal theme - dolphins and so forth. On the hangar it looked kind of cute. Then I tried it on, and all the gals in the change room started to laugh. I looked in the mirror, and saw that I had a dolphin "leaping" out of my crotch and another aimed for my right breast. Needless to say, I didn't buy it!

swimpastor
January 14th, 2005, 12:57 PM
In another thread, I told y'all about my 'Knee John' Spidey Suit (bright fire engine red with heavy black spider webs all over). Well, about ten days ago I finally had an opprotunity - and the courage - to wear it for a workout. A guy who doesn't swim, but is often in the pool to use the whirlpool that's there, came up to me and said "Where's Mary Jane?" I scratched my head and replied, 'Huh?' He again said, "Spidey, where's Mary Jane?"

My favorite suit ever was one I had in the days of flower power back in about 1969-1970. It was a white speedo brief with a big colorful daisy on the rear. I've been prowling the online auctions to see if any of these survived and are available still.

swimmer_steph
January 14th, 2005, 01:03 PM
Just my two cents, but anything - anything - w/big lotus flowers [bright or not] throughout the pattern should be tossed in the can. I think they make anyone other than supermodels look bigger and a lot of the time they are just plain ugly. It's just a pet peeve of mine - :) -

I generally prefer simple solids or some of the Speedos w/the funky geo-designs...

laineybug
January 14th, 2005, 02:19 PM
[i]
My favorite suit ever was one I had in the days of flower power back in about 1969-1970. It was a white speedo brief with a big colorful daisy on the rear. I've been prowling the online auctions to see if any of these survived and are available still. [/B]

I don't see a pattern like you are describing at this site, but the suits are made in the style and with the design you choose, when you order them. Maybe they could make you something very similar to your flower power speedo

http://splish.com/mainpages/products.htmldo.

Lainey

laineybug
January 14th, 2005, 05:24 PM
well okay, y'all, lets see if this works:

splish.com (http://splish.com)

Sonic Swimmer78
January 14th, 2005, 10:16 PM
I had a Speedo that had stars and stripes on it. It got several stares and a lot of laughs.

I think Speedo's with stars and stripes are too bicentennial and shouldn't be reconed with. I think it's not only depicting the Flag, but it's just plain tacky.

USMSarah
January 15th, 2005, 12:04 PM
Those splish suits are so cute! I may have to order a few of those! Do they fit close to what speedo or tyr sized suits are?

By the way, I have the stars and stripes suit... like the 70's pattern (vertical stripes and stars) and I love it!!! Sometimes it is fun to have a flashy suit like that, plus I also do like the solid suits as well... I like 'em all. HA!

S.

Sonic Swimmer78
January 15th, 2005, 12:51 PM
Sarah,

On a female swimmer, Stars and Stripes look cute, on a male swimmer, it looks gay. :p :lol:

I dunno, maybe it's just the stares and laughs I got when I had that speedo.

laineybug
January 15th, 2005, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by USMSarah
Those splish suits are so cute! I may have to order a few of those! Do they fit close to what speedo or tyr sized suits are?

S.

Some of them are pretty, and some are cute, and some so kitchy that they are just a hoot!

I think she cuts them full. I've emailed her with a couple of questions and she always gets right back to me. Maybe you could email her your measurements and the size speedo you are wearing and let her advise you on what size to order.

Splish Splash!

USMSarah
January 15th, 2005, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by Sonic Swimmer78

On a female swimmer, Stars and Stripes look cute, on a male swimmer, it looks gay. :p :lol:

You just made me laugh so hard. That's the funniest thing I've heard in a while!

USMSarah
January 15th, 2005, 04:51 PM
Thank you Lainey- I will do that!

Those suits are so fun!

Some of their caps are hilarious.

-S.

tjrpatt
January 15th, 2005, 06:20 PM
The paper suit that was big in the 90s. Those suits were thin and tight as hell. Thank god those suits disappeared. It is nice to wear race suits that are comfortable.

Alicat
January 16th, 2005, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by tjrpatt
The paper suit that was big in the 90s. Those suits were thin and tight as hell. Thank god those suits disappeared. It is nice to wear race suits that are comfortable.

Oh yea I remember those, wore them in the late 80's --Oh! Oh! the rubber suit too! I think these suits were the predecessors to these new $400 Fast Skin suits...

That also reminds me of when my coaches made up try on suits and the smallest we could get into, they would the tell us to order the next size smaller.
:p

sdswimmer
January 16th, 2005, 02:28 PM
lainey,
have you tried the bikini splish suits? I always wear 2pc now that they are available!

Now I tried a few "tankinis" 3 years ago those were terrible for swimming, the top rolls up and down or ballons out and chafes! All the pain of a 1 pc with 2 parts and less coverage.

I still have my try tankini I don't know why!

laineybug
January 16th, 2005, 03:44 PM
no I haven't tried the bikini's, I prefer a one piece for swim workouts. To me, every bikini, not just Splish's, look like the girls might make an appearance when turning, diving, etc. :eek:

Meli
January 16th, 2005, 11:55 PM
Ok, it's from the sale rack, and it's pretty bad...

Speedo suit, striped vertically with blending shades of fuschia and purple, and purple zebra stripes going horizontally... it only makes a rare appearance at the pool, but it's rather memorable when it does!

salgut
January 17th, 2005, 11:03 AM
Okay...I have to respond to this one.... The ABSOLUTE ugliest suits were the Ocean suits I had to wear when I swam on a club team as a kid....and...this dates me...it was back in about 1960-63. This was pre-lycra and there was no such thing as a competitive suit that actually fit. They were made of nylon and they had "conservative" bottoms that looked somewhat reminiscent of Huggies diapers when they started to wear out. The bottoms would sag, the elastic would wear out in the leg holes and you sort of looked like you were wearing a nylon toga. Also, the straps had no "give" and they were cut wide. Since your parents were always getting a size too big (you were supposed to grow into them before they dissolved at the end of the summer) the straps were too long and they would fall off your shoulder during any stroke....causing a sort of "swimming in an arm sling" effect. To rectify this we used to tie a shoe string through both of the straps in the back so they wouldn't fall off our shoulders when we were swimming. Thanks God for the invention of stretchy polymers! Oh...it didn't matter what color you bought....they all faded and there was no way any color was ever attractive. The only advantage they had over the earlier versions of competitive suits was that they WERE NOT wool!

Sally :p

EyeoreSAM
January 17th, 2005, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by tjrpatt

They haven't disappeared completely. I bought one for my daughter (shes 9) from the meet last weekend. It was on clearance, but they must still be hanging around. I kept mine from the last event that I swam just to remind myself that I could cram into one of those at some point in my life!!!

SwiminONandON
January 18th, 2005, 05:48 PM
This is somewhat off topic but seeing as I am often am off topic in my daily life, what's the deal with the US team girls swimming in two piece suits at training camps this year? I looked at the swimcam pictures on USA-Swimming of training camps in Palo Alto and Spain and a LOT of the girls in the pictures were in bikinis!?! Is this fatskin technology taking over with the idea that skin is slower than the suits? Is this a tanning thing? ANYONE?!

SwiminONandON
January 18th, 2005, 05:51 PM
Ok, back on topic, Meli I think that suit sounds fun. I love crazy loud suits. They are a riot. I have a tie-dyed looking one that has purple, red, orange and magenta in it. It's awesome. It's probably my favorite. I think its funny to swim in hideously ugly suits. I own many a normal suit, too. But rock on to the ugly ones! My favorite thing is to order grab bag suits because it's such an adventure.

jean sterling
January 18th, 2005, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by SwiminONandON
My favorite thing is to order grab bag suits because it's such an adventure.

Opening a grab bag shipment is a bit like Christmas - I like that feeling of anticipation - of wondering what is inside. I figure if it's really bad I can always wear it at 6 AM practice when it's dark and nobody is awake enough to notice.

craiglll@yahoo.com
January 19th, 2005, 11:10 AM
I oder grab bag fopr practice. Once from Keifer, I got a white Olympic commerative suit. I couldn't use it even under other suits. I don't understand why they even make white suits for men?