PDA

View Full Version : Swimming with a cold

mbriones
January 17th, 2005, 09:44 PM
I swam today with a cold. I have no fever, and no infection, just congestion. I was pleased at how my swim was sort of a 'vacation' from my cold. The symptoms vanished during the swim.

Afterwards (1000 yards), I felt rejuvinated, and my sinuses felt less congested.

Anyone else have this experience? I'd never go in with a fever, etc., being a big contagious germ carrier, but then chlorine would take care of that I think....but why take chances?

Marian

AnnG
January 17th, 2005, 10:47 PM
My doctor once told me that if a person is afebrile and just congested above the neck its okay to continue your workouts, just try to get more sleep if you can. But if you have any kind of a fever and chest congestion, then its time to back off.

knelson
January 18th, 2005, 12:45 AM
Yeah, usually you can swim pretty well with a cold. The only bad thing is when you get phlegm in your throat and every time you try to breathe it just rattles the phlegm around and you don't actually get any air! Man, I hate that :mad:

I take it "afebrile" means not having a fever? Never heard that one before.

AnnG
January 18th, 2005, 12:56 AM
Yes, the prefix "a" means "without." Afebrile means without fever. A leftover word from my medical transcriptionist days!

Kae1
January 18th, 2005, 01:23 PM
One of the reasons I loved going to the pool was because it cleared up my sinuses. The increased blood flow, increase body heat and chlorine all work together to dry up your sinuses, so you may feel better after swimming if you have a cold. In my case, it made my allergies feel better. Of course, they don't go away like a cold, so I finally saw the doctor and got some allergy meds. :)
Kae

jean sterling
January 18th, 2005, 01:45 PM
If swimming with a cold perks me up and makes me feel better I will swim the next day. However, if I still feel blah or worse after swimmng I decide that it's best not to swim until things clear up. Also, if the cold is below the neck (in the chest) I won't swim.

Guvnah
January 18th, 2005, 03:10 PM
This thread should be tied to the "spitting snot into the vent" thread.

mbriones
January 18th, 2005, 04:10 PM
EEEEEEWWWWWWWW...I read that one and went now what type of gross people are swimming in THAT pool! I keep a box of kleenex on the deck with a plastic bag next to it, so when the need arises, I stop, blow, and put the snot rag into the plastic bag....

knelson
January 18th, 2005, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by mbriones
EEEEEEWWWWWWWW...I read that one and went now what type of gross people are swimming in THAT pool! I keep a box of kleenex on the deck with a plastic bag next to it, so when the need arises, I stop, blow, and put the snot rag into the plastic bag....

Although I agree hacking a big lugie into the gutter is gross, bringing a box of kleenex in a zip-lok out on deck seems like a little too much trouble to me.

Karen Duggan
January 18th, 2005, 11:30 PM
Swimming, especially in 80 degree water tends to "clear out" the head. I also noticed that swimming tells me if I have a sinus infection. If I push off under water, my sinuses let me know they're there! If I were smart I'd probably get out, but I'm not so I do the next best thing and just not push off as deep! :)

clyde hedlund
January 21st, 2005, 03:29 PM
Please, please stay out of the pool if you are sick. Please, if you must swim, then do it out in the ocean, where you can clear everything out to your hearts desire and lay out in the sand and let the sun and sea breeze heal you. mahalo, clyde

charm
November 1st, 2008, 01:57 PM
I think I might try it (swimming with a cold). I'll let you know how it works out.

onefish
November 1st, 2008, 05:56 PM
Next time I feel one coming on, I'm heading to a warm beach. Maybe even Hawaii. Will work for my nose AND noggin, and guaranteed I will have better effects on people when I get back, though they might get sick of hearing about it.

DV

ddl
November 1st, 2008, 05:58 PM
I have heard that swimming while having a cold can cause a condition called myocarditis. Before I heard of this, I swam once last march while having a cold. The cold seemed to have receded temporarily and I felt great thinking swimming cured my cold, and I thought this would be what I'd do in future if I had a cold again. But in the following days the cold progressed into the worst cold I had ever had, I almost suffocated due to the congestion. Used one big box of Kleenex per day. Would never want that happen again.

jdut
November 1st, 2008, 08:03 PM
I think myocarditis is inflammation of the heart muscle - could it be caused by swimming with a cold? Seems like a rather dire consequence.

Typhoons Coach
November 1st, 2008, 08:41 PM
I think myocarditis is inflammation of the heart muscle - could it be caused by swimming with a cold? Seems like a rather dire consequence.

I agree that myocarditis is the inflamation of the myocardium (the muscular part of the heart). It is a condition that is driven by an infection (viral or bacterial). If you have the common cold (generally viral) it could very well turn into myocarditis. As much as I wouldn't like to think so, there is evidence that shows 20% of deaths in young adults is due to myocarditis. Now, obviously not all of those are swimmers who are out there practicing with colds, but it is still a relevant concern. I know that I tell my swimmers not to get in with a cold unless they are on antibiotics that don't have any significant side effects.

All the best!

jdut
November 2nd, 2008, 07:26 PM
wow- good to know- THANKS

swoomer
November 2nd, 2008, 08:36 PM
Just wondering where all that congestion goes when it leaves your head........Remind me not to share a lane with you under these particular circumstances! I'm thinking it's best for all concerned if you stay out of the pool until the cold goes away. Maybe I'm just a germaphobe.

craiglll@yahoo.com
November 3rd, 2008, 05:46 AM
I was once told by my asthma doctor to never swim with a cold period, no questions. Most people swallow phlegm all the time, we just don't know it. Isn't that lovely. The reason we notice it with a cold is that there is so much more phlegm. I think most doctors have rethought the idea that if it is above the neck it is okay to workout. Most say never workout if sick.

Towards another thread about the runner who died in New York. If he had a cold it is possible that he blocked some oxygen and the heart couldn't get enough oxygen to itself or to major muscles.

aztimm
November 3rd, 2008, 12:26 PM
Towards another thread about the runner who died in New York. If he had a cold it is possible that he blocked some oxygen and the heart couldn't get enough oxygen to itself or to major muscles.

Interesting thought. I run and notice I start to get stomach cramps 1 or 2 times during a long run. I also have asthma, and carry my inhaler with me. As soon as I feel a cramp coming on, I take the inhaler. It may not entirely prevent them, but the cramps don't last very long. At most, I may have to walk for a minute.

Midas
November 3rd, 2008, 07:04 PM
I've had a cold for over two weeks and have been out of the water for most of that time. I finally got to the nurse practitioner today. He said I can swim if I want to, so long as I continue not to have a fever. He did not make the above/below neck distinction and since my cold is in my chest, clearly thought about it. He did not think that continued exercise while sick with a cold would cause any issues with my heart (again, provided I didn't have a fever). I might get in and swim in the next day or so...

Guvnah
November 11th, 2008, 09:28 AM
Just wondering where all that congestion goes when it leaves your head........Remind me not to share a lane with you under these particular circumstances! I'm thinking it's best for all concerned if you stay out of the pool until the cold goes away. Maybe I'm just a germaphobe.

Somehow, this should be worked into the circle-versus-split-the-lane thread.

Maybe when someone asks if they can share my lane, I should just honk out a big snot, leave it on my upper lip, say "Sure, no problem!" and just push off. I'll bet they won't be in the lane when I get back after 50 yards!

jnbaker
November 13th, 2008, 09:23 AM
My high school and college coach would have laughed at me if I suggested I miss a workout due to a cold. You would have to be on death's door, with a confirming Dr's note to get the OK to skip a workout due to illness. Honestly, everyone swam through everything in college, and I don't remember anyone getting more complicated illnesses by swimming through colds, etc.

Now that I am old and lazy, I regularly sleep in and miss workouts when I have a cold...

swimbreast
June 23rd, 2009, 03:59 PM
I just LMAO

swimbreast
June 23rd, 2009, 04:01 PM
OMG, LOL, It's still really gross.

Atalanta
August 4th, 2010, 08:29 PM
I have a more specific question to ask: is it ok to swim with an earache, and, if I am prone to getting water in my ears, should I swim with earplugs? I never used to...

clyde hedlund
August 5th, 2010, 06:19 PM
Having a cold means going to the beach, swimming in the salt water, clearing out the sinuses, breathing fresh sea air, and taking in the healing power of the sun's rays while it drys off the body leaving lots of salt residue. I can't imagine doing this in a pool. I'm guilty of training while sick, however, I don't do this anymore, since training with a low resistance may allow viruses and bacteria to penetrate and damage the heart.

The first question my ear doctor asks: is where do you swim? Because fungus love to grow inside my ear causing inner ear infections, pain and wrecking my balance. So yes, wear ear plugs to keep moisture out of your ear.:cool:

Bobinator
August 5th, 2010, 10:34 PM
If your ears are troubling you try the silicone ear plugs and put a small amount of alcohol(or something with a drying effect) in your ear canal to dry the water up after your swim.
I've also found a warm neti pot after swimming helps my ears and sinuses feel better after swimming with a cold.

Keiko
August 6th, 2010, 07:00 AM
I swam today with a cold. I have no fever, and no infection, just congestion. I was pleased at how my swim was sort of a 'vacation' from my cold. The symptoms vanished during the swim.

Afterwards (1000 yards), I felt rejuvinated, and my sinuses felt less congested.

Anyone else have this experience? I'd never go in with a fever, etc., being a big contagious germ carrier, but then chlorine would take care of that I think....but why take chances?

Marian

Well, I guess it all depends on your condition... but I had a bad experience. I was sick for 2 wks with chest congestions, fever, and fatigue. I felt okay at wk3 and was able to run and swim slowly. I went to ocean swim(1 mile) and felt so bad right after the start. I could not get air in... So, I will not get in water until I feel 100% better. I would do running/walking, stretch, and weights instead...

swimshark
August 6th, 2010, 07:24 AM
I have a more specific question to ask: is it ok to swim with an earache, and, if I am prone to getting water in my ears, should I swim with earplugs? I never used to...

Have you had the ears checked to make sure you don't have an ear infection? Do you wear a cap to help keep the water out? I pull mine down as far as it will go to keep the water out as much as it will. I also use AuroDry to get any water out that gets in. I found the home made remedy didn't work as well on me.

bzaks1424
August 6th, 2010, 09:18 AM
Clean your goggles when you're done and touch them as little as possible during practice. The last thing you want is Pink Eye! :afraid:

bamueller
June 19th, 2011, 02:47 PM
I have a cold and I am ticked. I came down with it three days ago. I could feel it during that day's practice, but I was able to make my sets. I decided to take Friday and Saturday off because I feel lethargic, and here it is Sunday. Next Saturday I have an open water mile swim to do and I am getting frustrated thinking this cold will set me back mentally and physically. Each deep breath results in a cough. I can't swim like that right? Seems like if you lose 3-4 days in the pool, you might as well miss a month.

poolraat
June 19th, 2011, 03:15 PM
.. Next Saturday I have an open water mile swim to do ...

I'm going to do that one too. Track me down and introduce yourself.

philoswimmer
June 20th, 2011, 01:40 AM
I have a cold and I am ticked. I came down with it three days ago. I could feel it during that day's practice, but I was able to make my sets. I decided to take Friday and Saturday off because I feel lethargic, and here it is Sunday. Next Saturday I have an open water mile swim to do and I am getting frustrated thinking this cold will set me back mentally and physically. Each deep breath results in a cough. I can't swim like that right? Seems like if you lose 3-4 days in the pool, you might as well miss a month.

The same thing happened to me recently. My only "good news" is that after I'd decided I wasn't up for my open water swim, it got canceled anyway.
If you are still coughing when you take deep breaths, I would not do the mile swim. At best it will be extremely unpleasant. I sympathize. :(

norascats
June 20th, 2011, 07:36 AM
I vote for the insurance companies to pay for a week at a sunny ocean beach as a remedy for colds and their nasty consequences. I think the health benefits will definitely offset the cost.

Rachel Davis
February 11th, 2014, 01:34 PM
I know that I tell my swimmers not to get in with a cold unless they are on antibiotics that don't have any significant side effects.

All the best!

Antibiotics don't help colds. Colds are viral, and antibiotics will do absolutely nothing except build resistance to them.