PDA

View Full Version : Update & Question

SeoulNewfie
January 18th, 2005, 07:40 AM
Ok, I have been swimming for about 2 1/2 weeks now and things are going great. I am able to go for about 5 lengths of the pool without needed any kind of breather (up from 2 when I started).

I now find myself wanting to get more involved in swimming, learn all the strokes.

Here are my questions to you all:

I can only go to a class for about an hour 3 times a week. Is it reasonable to think that I can learn all the strokes well from only 3 times a week? When I played soccer I practiced about 5 times and thought that anything less would not be beneficial.

And, what kind of time frame should I expect before I can do all 4 reasonable well (I mean without being the laughing stock of your average pool)? War stories anyone??? I have been a pretty fast learner in my years of sports.

Thanks!

IndyGal
January 18th, 2005, 09:46 AM
I started lessons in November -- I did have some swim instruction as a kid, but not enough to be proficient in all the strokes. My schedule is two half-hour lessons each week, and then I practice on my own for about an hour each day. At this point I'd say my freestyle and backstroke are respectable, my breaststroke is getting there (my kick needs major improvement), and my butterfly is still in the learning stage (I can only do a few strokes before it falls to pieces). I have a long way to go, of course, before I catch up with people who've been perfecting their strokes for years, but at least I no longer feel like I'll be laughed out of the pool. :D

I'm not the athletic type, so if you are I imagine you'll progress much more quickly.

Alicat
January 18th, 2005, 12:24 PM
It's always great to learn new stuff. The hardest thing to learn will probably be fly (butterfly), back and free are easy to pick up and breaststroke well, I learned it and it took me years to be proficient in it. We are always learning and drilling to prefect strokes so relax and have fun!

Guvnah
January 18th, 2005, 03:01 PM
You can learn the basics of the strokes in classes 3 times a week. (I assume it lasts for more than one week.)

You will just have to implement/practice what you are learining when you do your regular workouts. (Assuming you are not replacing your workouts with the classes...)

Keep this perspective in mind: You will just learn the basics in the classes. You will never fully perfect your stroke. Even Michael Phelps continues to work at improving his stroke.

SeoulNewfie
January 19th, 2005, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by Guvnah
You will just have to implement/practice what you are learining when you do your regular workouts. (Assuming you are not replacing your workouts with the classes...)

I don't actually workout like you guys do. I only use swimming as a cardio workout on off days from the gym. All I do is swim freestyle laps in intervals keeping my heartrate in the fat burning range. So the answer is yes, I planned on replacing that workout with 1 on 1 classes. No time to really do anything esle and I would like to learn as much as possible and then join the Master Club at the pool once I am good enough.