PDA

View Full Version : Swim Mates

craiglll@yahoo.com
January 18th, 2005, 04:56 PM
I'm looking for swim mates. They are the machines you put your suit in to have it spin around very fast to dry out. So far I've found 2 companies. One in Chiago & one in California. The first is for over $1,700 and the second is for over $1,200. Does any one know of any ohter company that produces or sells them cheaper? I was shocked to find out how expensive they were.

SwiminONandON
January 18th, 2005, 05:32 PM
I don't know where you can find a cheaper one, however those machines tend to ruin suits more quickly. The centrifical force pulls the suit, stretching it out of shape and ruining the suit. Just a thought!

DAP
January 18th, 2005, 05:48 PM
We have Swim Mates suit dryer at the place where I swim, but I never realized they were THAT expensive.

Through Google I found a place that has a freestanding spin dryer for 429.95 + $29.95 shipping. www.spin-x.com (http://www.spin-x.com/). Or maybe you could just buy one of those cheap hand-cranked salad spinners.:D

Kae1
January 18th, 2005, 06:03 PM
DAP wrote:
Or maybe you could just buy one of those cheap hand-cranked salad spinners

actually, considering it does the exact same thing, I don't see why a salad spinner *wouldn't* work. They are amazingly versatile tools. If you get a 'pump' type, you can keep the speed up long enough to get your suit dry.

Kae

craiglll@yahoo.com
January 19th, 2005, 11:07 AM
Thank you for the ideas. Our problem is that many oolder men used the old style of boxer swim shorts. They drip water all over the floor of the locker room. I was thinking that if we had soem of these machines, the floor would be safer.

Kae1
January 19th, 2005, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by craiglll@yahoo.com
Thank you for the ideas. Our problem is that many oolder men used the old style of boxer swim shorts. They drip water all over the floor of the locker room. I was thinking that if we had soem of these machines, the floor would be safer.

If the Swim Mates are the same ones that my gym uses; the water still drips onto the floor, just all in one spot, instead of everywhere (that's why it's in the shower room). The machine spins the suit, and as water comes out of the suit, it is emptied out of the bottom of the machine.

A cheaper option for floor safety might be those safety mats they put around pools and in locker rooms. After all, the drippy men still drip all the way into the locker room and Swim Mate machine...

Kae

DAP
January 19th, 2005, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by Kae1
The machine spins the suit, and as water comes out of the suit, it is emptied out of the bottom of the machine.

A cheaper option for floor safety might be those safety mats they put around pools and in locker rooms.

The Swim Mate suit spinner where I swim has plumbing hooked up to it to drain away the water, and they put a rubber safety mat next to it. And there is a sign next to the suit dryer that tells people to dry off completely before going into the locker room, but I still see people with the boxer suits drip all over the locker room and the locker room benches, even with the suit dryer available.

craiglll@yahoo.com
January 20th, 2005, 11:57 AM
Thanks again for more info. Many of our swimmers are very old. We just had a man turn 91 last month and several women intheir 80's. We are very concerned about safety. Also, some of our swimmers think that our locker room isn't nice because we don't have this equipment to pamper them.