PDA

View Full Version : distance???

hckchc
January 19th, 2005, 12:07 PM
I used to be a distance swimmer and am trying to get back into the events such as the mile. The problem is that even when I do a 500 in a race, I can't remember how to pace myself! Can anyone give me some tips on pacing?

jim clemmons
January 19th, 2005, 12:38 PM
Try breaking it into quarters or thirds. Start out moderately and build up thru the sections. After a couple/few swims, you'll get a feel for how hard you should be starting out so that you don't completely fall apart before the finish.

Jim

etrain
January 19th, 2005, 02:13 PM
Negative split as much as you can, sometimes even do it deliberately. So for a 200 go the first 100 medium speed and then do the last 100 as fast as you can. I use to do this all the time and it makes the 500 go really quick because you kind of breeze through the first 250 and then hammer it home. The 1650 I usually broke into 500's and tried to descend them and then really get after the last 150, but most of the time coach would get me going faster way before the 150...

You could also do something called short-rest-interval, where you basically do 50's or 100's on a very short rest interval. So something like 10 x 50 on :35, the key is that you are only getting about 1-3 seconds of rest, if you are getting 5 or more then you need to lower the interval.

Hope this will jog your memory...

etrain