PDA

View Full Version : Recovery Time

Old Flyer
January 21st, 2005, 01:21 PM
For us middle aged master's (in our 40's and 50's), what is the typical recovery time people need between workouts?

I had a strong 3500 yd workout yesterday at lunch Thursday and feel the muscle fatigue today. My masters club workout Sat morning will be about 4500 - 5000 yds. Is it helpful to try and swim today for 2500 or so, or will this just be "junk" yards that won't help me improve and could wear me out for tomorrow?

swimr4life
January 21st, 2005, 04:21 PM
Everyone is so different when it comes to how long their bodies need to recover! There are so many variables: the intensity of your workouts, how long you workout, whether you are a sprinter or a long distance swimmer, your nutrition, how much sleep you get, etc...... The best way to figure this out is to keep a journal of your workouts and how you feel. Experiment with taking a day off vs doing an easy long slow distance workout the day after a hard workout day. My body tells me when I need rest!! My heartrate soars and I just ache all over. I've found that I do better swimming no more than 2 days in a row. I'd rather take a day off and come back ready to go the next day. I've found that I tend to injure my shoulders if I do more than that! BUT...everyone is different. Experiment and see what works for you! Good luck!;)

Old Flyer
January 21st, 2005, 05:09 PM
I think my body's telling me to take the day off. I'll go to the college hockey game tonight and see what I can crank at workout in the morning:cool: