PDA

View Full Version : My First Postal Swim!!!

Sonic Swimmer78
January 21st, 2005, 07:22 PM
Sonic here with some VERY exciting news! Tomorrow, January 22nd, 2005, I will be going out of town for my first Postal Swim! I'm so excited about this! It's probably more exciting than my first Freestyle Clinic too! From what I hear, it's sort of like a swim meet, where competitors try to swim (stroke of their choice) for an hour non-stop!

I feel confident enough to attend my first competition, but I have a question: How many of you attended Postal Swims before? What was your experience like??

Inquiring minds want to know.

Sonic Swimmer78
January 23rd, 2005, 01:58 AM
Well, my first Postal Swim was a BLAST! I swam 1862 Yds total! and that was because I did it entirely with the Breaststroke!!

I feel so rejuvinated!!

swimmer_steph
January 23rd, 2005, 01:48 PM
Congratulations!

Don't you wish you could bottle that feeling and use some whenever you needed a boost!

Good for you!

partyhat
January 23rd, 2005, 08:49 PM
Why is it called a postal swim?

I am seeing visions of mailpersons struggling across the San Francisco bay, because the mail never stops! Not rain, nor snow, nor large swimming expanses shall keep the postalpeople from their appointed rounds!

fatboy
January 24th, 2005, 12:29 AM
I think the idea is that you do the swim at your own pool and then mail your results (this is the postal part) to the meet sponsor. Then the results are published and you can see how you compare to other swimmers. I believe you need to have a witness to verify your times. Check the USMS fitness site for more details.

http://www.usms.org/fitness/fitnessevents.shtml

Sonic Swimmer78
January 24th, 2005, 09:26 PM
Yep, that's what a Postal Swim is, basically.

Sonic Swimmer78
January 24th, 2005, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by swimmer_steph
Congratulations!

Don't you wish you could bottle that feeling and use some whenever you needed a boost!

Good for you!

Tell me about it, I wish I could! That would come in handy every time I had a bad day at work.