PDA

View Full Version : Hi I'm new!!!

ktc
January 25th, 2005, 02:24 PM
Hey y'all! I'm new to the board--well, I've been lurking, but I finally decided to get an account and post. :)

I'm seriously considering starting to swim masters. I swam competitvely when I was a child, but I quit when I got to be a junior in high school (I'm 30 now). I did some lap swimming off and on through college as most of my jobs involved the pool (life guard, swim instructor, asst pool manager, asst swim coach). In November, I started swimming laps regularly. I try to swim 3x a week--which can be difficult since I work full time and I'm in grad school part time (taking 2 classes)--but I always manage 2x.

Anyway, I was swimming over Christmas break, and that's when I realized how much I miss swimming and miss competing. I have struggled with whether or not I am ready to begin swimming masters yet for almost a month now. At first, I told myself that I wasn't ready because I can't do a 100 fly without wanting to die at the end. I am able to swim 500 yds without stopping. The workouts that I do (ones that I've found online) are between 2,500-3,000 yds, and I swim for about an hour. What kind of yardage should someone who is swimming/practicing be able to swim? How do you know if you are "ready" or not? I definitely don't think that I'm ready for meets yet, but I would like to start practicing with a team.

Thanks for your suggestions!!!

Take care!

Kevin in MD
January 25th, 2005, 02:59 PM
You're way past ready for most teams. The majority of programs have a variety of skill levels from newbies to old hands. You'll fit in somehwere in the middle I'd guess.

thisgirl13
January 25th, 2005, 04:59 PM
Darlin', you'll be just fine starting with a team!

Our Master's team meets three times a week, and our practices are usually an hour long, between 2500 and 3500 yards each.

If you can do a 500 without stopping, and you can reasonably manage a 100 fly, then you're well above what a lot of people on teams do! The main thing with Masters is to ENJOY yourself, and let the skills come as they may.

If you competed in high school, and you're only 30, you're an old hat, and you'll be just fine. Good Luck!

DRBOB
January 25th, 2005, 07:42 PM
Your definately ready.

I did lap swim for a year; '04, building up to 4,000 yrd average workouts. No prior history on any team just self coached and taking workouts off this web page.

I just started with the master group that I've been swimming next to for a year. We swim less distance than I usually swim but much more intense. I've only trained with them four times and have shaved off 13 seconds off my 200 free. The people are great, the coach helps alot and I've lost 3 lbs in a week.

SWinkleblech
January 26th, 2005, 09:03 AM
Hi Katie! I swim on my own two to three times a week for about an hour. I usually swim about 2,300 yds to 2,700. I think you are more then ready to swim. Some people in masters have time and the ablility to swim more and some don't. That is the great thing about masters. It is for all swimmers at different levels. You just do what you can. As for the 100 fly, out of six members on our team, only two of us are even willing to try and swim it. So if you can do it you got more then half my team beat.:D
Just give it a try and join all the fun!

mattson
January 26th, 2005, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by ktc
At first, I told myself that I wasn't ready because I can't do a 100 fly without wanting to die at the end.

I still feel that way (after 4 years of Master's swimming). The day I can finish a 100 Fly, without the piano dropping on me the last length, is the day I start training to do a 200 fly...

ktc
January 27th, 2005, 12:39 PM
I know that my biggest problem is comparing my swimming abilities to the way that they once were. I think that is my hang up about starting to swim masters. I don't want to be horrible, you know? :) After reading your comments, I have emailed someone for my local masters team, and hopefully, I will hear back from them soon. If not, I guess that I will call them.

What kind of prior swimming experience do people who swim masters usually have?

SWinkleblech
January 27th, 2005, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by ktc

What kind of prior swimming experience do people who swim masters usually have?

This can range from those who have swam all there lives and those who are just beginning. There is a member on my team who is in her fourties and is just starting out.

swimmieAvsFan
January 27th, 2005, 03:43 PM
definitely the full range of abilities. my masters team has people that swam Division 1 in college, also some D-2 and D-3 swimmers. we've got people that swam age group and/or high school. and then we've got the folks who just started swimming within the last few years. and i don't mean swimming competitively, i mean swimming at all! so don't worry about how good your times used to be, just get back in the pool and have fun! if you're even contemplating starting masters, you've obviously missed swimming during your time out of the water! (i know i did when i took a 3 year break, and i was playing water polo at the time!?!)

:D

SwiminONandON
February 1st, 2005, 03:27 PM
Welcome Katie! On the Masters team I swim with we have some standout athletes and some people that swam in their very first meet this year. We have people that are holding 100s under 1:10 and people that are happy to swim 50 yards without stopping (no joke!). If you can swim a 100 fly you are heads above the average Master's swimmer. And coaches no longer "make" you do stuff. There are plenty of people I swim with that substitute another stroke for fly, modify their interval, swim less yardage, etc.

And meets are way fun and not scary. I think pretty much every meet is seeded by time. Which means you are swimming with people that are (or at least in theory should be) at your same speed. I only swam for two years in high school. And now I'm back and I love it! I was out of the pool for like eight years or so. Also I think you'll improve even more if you swim with a team. I know I swim much faster and harder when I swim with my team. Good luck! Keep us updated!

And Mattson - I hear ya'! Bring on that 200 fly!

ktc
February 4th, 2005, 09:38 AM
So I swallowed my pride and called about the masters team on Monday. I practiced Tues, Thurs, and this morning! It wasn't bad at all. There are so many different levels of swimmers, and it was nice not to be really forced to do anything. When I told the guy that was running practice that I was going of town next week and apologized for not coming in on Wednesday due to work, he kinda looked at me like I was a little crazy. I guess you don't have to explain/have an excuse/be dying to miss practice like when I was younger. :) The team has a meet this weekend, but obviously, I'm not swimming in it. Yesterday morning, they practiced going off the blocks and swimming some of the events, and I did it with them. Even though I got blown out of the water, I really enjoyed it. Who would have thought that I would enjoy morning practice? :)