PDA

View Full Version : Swimwear

sv20lacrosse
January 25th, 2005, 07:18 PM
Hey what do you thinks the best suit and cap for a fourteen year old swimmer

thisgirl13
January 25th, 2005, 08:25 PM
Since I'm not a guy, the best I can tell you is a regular old Speedo seems to be a favorite of the guys on my team, although drag shorts are a close second.

Cap-wise, I'm a little more proficient. Unless you have really long hair for a guy (i.e. you can pull it back into a ponytail), I wouldn't worry about a swim cap in practice. Meets are up to you, but if you choose to use a cap, I'd go with basic latex. They're cheaper and easier on your skull than, say, Lycra, and they repel water better than the fabric caps.

If you need any links for swim gear, here's a couple to get you started:

www.speedo.com
www.aardvark.com

jean sterling
January 25th, 2005, 10:40 PM
if you swim in an outdoor pool in cold weather a cap can help keep your head warm.

gull
January 26th, 2005, 07:57 AM
Jammers, definitely. For workouts, the polyester jammers hold up better than lycra.

scyfreestyler
January 26th, 2005, 11:14 AM
I started by wearing regular trunks and eventually moved to Speedo Jammers. The difference is quite noticeable in terms of drag or resistance. Speedo has a new Jammer listed on their website that is supposed to hold up much better to chlorine, bromine, and lots of practices. I think it is called the endurance Jammer but it looks pretty much the same as their regular product line. Price is $42.00 plus shipping.

knelson
January 26th, 2005, 11:28 AM
I've become a fan of the polyester mesh training suits. Most of the manufacturers make them. I've been using a TYR suit since last April that has held up remarkably well. Here what they look like:
http://www.tyr.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/SPMT2_001.jpg

Don't buy a lycra suit for training. They wear out too quickly. 100% nylon are better, but fade out really quick.

hooked-on-swimming
January 26th, 2005, 01:23 PM
I think jammers are the best.And I will second the opinion of going with 100% polyester!!!I tried lycra and nylon and polyester and polyester is by far the most lasting one - I am still wearing my jammers I bought 2 months ago(vs. nylon+lycra lasting about a month ) and they are as new, so I think they have another few months of life left in them(mind you, I swim every day - well, with some days off)

Bob McAdams
February 1st, 2005, 01:34 PM
I don't know of any good reason for using anything other than the old-style speedo-type briefs in practice. The lowest cost jammers cost about $5 more than briefs and make you go a little slower. The high-tech-fabric jammers won't make you go slower, but they cost a lot more, and wear out very quickly! The briefs I buy cost under $20 and last for several months.

I don't think there's any good reason to use a cap in practice. When you get to competitions, your team may have team caps for you to wear.

gull
February 1st, 2005, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by Bob McAdams
I don't know of any good reason for using anything other than the old-style speedo-type briefs in practice.

I don't know if you consider this a good reason, but my wife thinks the briefs look "ridiculous."

Personally I think jammers are more comfortable and haven't noticed an effect on speed (but maybe I should use that as an excuse for slow times).

aquageek
February 1st, 2005, 03:01 PM
I have recently gone to the jammer suit for competition partially due to the ridiculous factor of the brief. Of course, being the humble swimmer that I am, I haven't stepped up to the Fastskin like some of my recent competitors.

I'll wear anything to practice, in any condition, the rattier the better.

gull
February 1st, 2005, 03:14 PM
Actually I believe I was sold a Slowskin by mistake and have contacted Speedo for a replacement.

aquageek
February 1st, 2005, 05:03 PM
gull80 lies like a cheap suit, slow he is not!