PDA

View Full Version : Swimming facility near South Entrance of Yellowstone?

Guvnah
January 26th, 2005, 01:53 PM
Hope someone sees this before June...

Where is there a decent swimming facility near the south entrance of Yellowstone Park? (We'll be doing a few days at the lodge on Yellowstone Lake, but we will also stay at some nearby location (to be determined, and can include Jaskson Hole) a couple of days.

We'd consider open water swimming in Yellowstone Lake itself if there wasn't still going to be ice! :)

swimrat
January 26th, 2005, 10:57 PM
I believe that entrance is near Jackson right? Right out on the Tetons. If that's the case you probably would have to go into the Jackson pool (which is pretty far). But if you are staying there it won't be. Jackson has high school team, but I'm not quite sure if their pool is at their high school (never competed there). If you can't find out where write back and I can do some research with friends there and find out where it is. Other than that maybe some of the campgrounds have pools. I'm from Wyoming myself and haven't seen anything but animals out that direction until you get right into Jackson. Good Luck

Guvnah
June 20th, 2005, 02:08 PM
Well I can answer my own question now.

The lakes in the Yellowstone/Tetons area are about 40 degrees right now. We passed on that.

After our stay in Y'stone, we did a few days in Jackson. There is a tremendous recreation center there, with an 8-lane 25 SCY pool that they keep at about 81-82 degrees. Very nice! We did morning workouts on two days (Wed and Thurs). There are some super swimmers there too. They charge $6.25 guest fee, which seemed a little steep (until I got a taste of the quality of that pool.)

On our drive home we stayed a night in Laramie. We didn't find anything there, but we found a YMCA in Cheyenne (about an hour away, and on the way home) so we got up early enough to catch their morning lap swim. Not our best experience, let me be blunt. The water was horribly warm, and they had only two lanes lines installed (dividing the 6-lane pool into equal thirds.) One third was aerobics/therapy, and in the remaining 4 lanes were a crop of elderly noodlers and floaters who simply would not move. I muscled my way into some semblance of a linear space, but the ladies to my right and to my left preferred backstroking in wide arcs and crooked paths... Eventually after running over both ladies (one I hit three times) they let me take the space right next to the lane line, which helped. And once I was done, the shower pressure was pathetic. But at least I got SOME workout in, and they accepted my YMCA card from home, so we didn't have to pay for it. If anyone here swims there, I extend my sincere sympathy...

Tom Ellison
June 29th, 2005, 12:45 PM
Cody, WY has a BEAUTIFUL POOL.....city run.....and they charge very little to swim as a guest.....NICE PEOPLE AS WELL.....

Cinswims
June 29th, 2005, 02:36 PM
Ditto Tom's response on Cody. My friend spends 6-8 months up there and she said the rec center pool is fantastic, cool water, and no one uses it!

Paul Smith
June 29th, 2005, 07:58 PM
The "places to swim" section of this website is a great resource for finding teams/pools while traveling......although it does need to be updated on a regular basis.

Also, email/call the coach/facility before dropping in. Not just to be respectful, but you also may avoid showing up for a 5:30am workout at a closed down pool (whcih happened to me trying to stop by and train with Emmett a coiple years back).

PS: note to marketing, traveling swimmers having access to teams is a benefit that we need to promote far more than we do now!

Guvnah
June 30th, 2005, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by Tom Ellison
Cody, WY has a BEAUTIFUL POOL.....city run.....and they charge very little to swim as a guest.....NICE PEOPLE AS WELL.....

We did stop in Cody the night before going to Y'stone. But swimming wasn't on our agenda that day. We got there late Saturday night (after a wonderful drive through the Big Horn mountains into the sunset after a long day of driving...) The next morning we had just enough time to partake of one of the best breakfast buffets at the Buffalo Bill hotel (I think that's the name...) before heading into the snowstorm that was greeting us in Yellowstone.

So for future reference, there is a great pool in Jackson Hole to the south, and by your account another to the east of Yellowstone in Cody.

Guvnah
June 30th, 2005, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by Paul Smith
The "places to swim" section of this website is a great resource for finding teams/pools while traveling......although it does need to be updated on a regular basis.

I can't find that section. Pointer, please?

sibleyclan
June 30th, 2005, 02:17 PM
I can't find that section.

On the USMS home page, click the tab for Local Progams & you'll get a drop down that has "Places to Swim". You then select a LMSC & get a list of pools.

Guvnah
July 1st, 2005, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by sibleyclan
On the USMS home page, click the tab for Local Progams & you'll get a drop down that has "Places to Swim". You then select a LMSC & get a list of pools.

Ah HA! Thanks for the tour. I start at //forums.usms.org... and not at usms.org. So I couldn't see anything that would lead me to a where-to-swim link.

Very nice link. I could have used that a bunch of times over the last few years...

WPSWIMS
May 31st, 2007, 10:07 PM
I am heading for Yellowstone and Jackson mid June and also want to keep up my training since I am going to LCNats.. Do you know if these pools in Cody and Jackson have a Masters TEam? Hopefully it will be near our hotel.. Would like to do a workout before eating a big buffet at Buffalo Bill's!