PDA

View Full Version : car wrecks and swimming

cinc3100
January 26th, 2005, 07:42 PM
I was in a car wreck about 2 weeks ago and was bruise probably good on one of my breasts. Anyway, breaststroke when I swim a little faster than slow hurts with the pull. Freestyle doesn't hurt as much. It mainly effects one arm now. Anyone else experance problems with their swimming after a car wreck.

Sparky
January 26th, 2005, 07:58 PM
Cynthia,

First of all, I hope a bruise is the only injury you suffered, and the accident wasn't more serious.

I was in a car accident a while ago where one of the ligaments (tendons?) in my shoulder was strained from the seatbelt. That was the only damage, but since then I have not been able to swim butterfly stroke. My shoulder hurts with the other strokes, but I can live with it. Fly is pretty much out, unfortunately.

You should ask your doctor if the injury will permanently affect your swimming.

Hope this helps.

Adam

Meli
January 27th, 2005, 12:13 AM
Ouch!!!

A couple years ago I was in a wreck and the seatbelt did quite the number on me. I bruised my chest and collarbone area pretty badly, and it took me a few weeks to get to the point where I could put on a bra without wincing.

It was probably 2 months before I could swim breaststroke, but I was back swimming freestyle (though with some soreness) after about a month of life in the kickboard lane. I just took it slow and didn't push myself too hard during that time.

It was frustrating, but it got better. Good luck!

SWinkleblech
January 27th, 2005, 08:37 AM
I was in a car wreck a few years ago. The only injury I had was a strain in my left shoulder from the seatbelt. Although I was still able to swim it felt sore. It bothered me off and on for a couple of years. I say take it easy for awhile until the pain goes away. The seatbelt can cause some injuries although it saves you from getting a lot worse.