PDA

View Full Version : Need some ideas

Seagurl51
January 26th, 2005, 08:52 PM
So I figured since that last time I had a school project everybody had awesome ideas, I would hold my breath and hope that would happen again. :) I have to give an informative speech in my Comm 101 class. We can talk on anything we want so, naturally, I had no idea what to talk about. I finally decided on swimming after ruling out the history of sliced bread and soccer. But anyways, my question was what would you consider the most important aspects of swimming? I need three main points and I have two. 1)Strokes 2)Types aka. SCM, SCY, etc. Any ideas on what I already have or an idea for a third main point would be very helpful! Thanx a bundle!!

~Kyra

suares
January 26th, 2005, 09:29 PM
I don't know what SCM and SCY are. However, another main point of swimming is the turn. Of coures I'm assuming you're taking about pool competition

jean sterling
January 26th, 2005, 09:33 PM
You might want to tell them that unlike football or basketball, swimming is a lifetime sport - that people swim in age groups all the way up to 100+. It's a good lifetime sport because it you can swim at your own pace and it is much easier on joints than some other sports.

SWinkleblech
January 27th, 2005, 08:32 AM
I agree with Jean. Use this as a way to make everyone want to jump in the pool and start swimming. Mention how it is a lifetime sport and all the benifits health wise that it gives you. It is better physically to swim then it is to do most other sports because it is low impact. Yet it can workout your whole body instead of only certain parts of your body.

Rob Copeland
January 27th, 2005, 08:45 AM
Another point could be “the history of swimming”, although this could run into volumes. A shorter topic could be the various governing bodies (FINA, USAS, USA-S, USMS, NCAA, YMCA, …) or possibly a discourse on swimming etiquette.

swimr4life
January 27th, 2005, 08:52 AM
I agree with Jean. You could show how it is a sport for life by explaining all the different levels of participation....from swim lessons to babies, summer league teams, USS, high school, college, masters, triathletes, postal swims, and open water swims.

jean sterling
January 27th, 2005, 09:53 AM
Another thought. Point out that swimming can be a life saver - that all people should know how to swim well enough to save themselves. Every so often you read about somebody (most often a young person) drowning because they didn't know how to swim. Too many PE programs focus on things like flag football and basketball and make no provision for making sure that the kids can swim - at least a little bit.

Kevin in MD
January 27th, 2005, 10:30 AM
I think the history of the swimming strokes as described by Cecil Colwin in his books is fascinating.

The move from breastroke to sidestroke to trudgeon to crawl,with some pacific islanders thrown into the mix I find very interesting. Without visual aids it might be tough though.

knelson
January 27th, 2005, 11:05 AM
There are some good ideas here. You could go a couple different ways, but perhaps if you want to focus more on competitve swimming your three points could be:

1. The four competitive strokes. You could go into the history, but that could be too involved.

2. The different types of competitive swimming (age group, high school, college, senior, masters. Also discuss open water events versus pool).

3. The final point would be that swimming is a sport for all abilities and ages. Here you could point out that swimming can save your life or save someone else's life.

swimr4life
January 27th, 2005, 11:26 AM
Knelson,
That sounds great! Seagurl, please share your paper with us! We all love swimming so much that we want others to see what a great sport it is! I can't wait to see what you write.

thisgirl13
January 27th, 2005, 12:54 PM
Hey, Kyra!

I did the exact same speech topic last year for my INCO 103 class.....not saying you have to follow, but here's my speech topics:

Point 1: the history of competitive swimming. You can include great early swimmers, competitions, "old school" ways of doing things......

Point 2: Types of swimming: distance, sprint, SCY, LCM, etc...

Point 3: Different groups: Age group, high school, college, usa, uss, usms, etc......explain what they are, how they work, how they differ...this will give you a space to plug how great swimming is for all ages, and encourage people to get in the water.

Good luck with your speech!

Steph

Seagurl51
January 27th, 2005, 01:17 PM
Thanx everybody for the ideas!! I think I have my topics now, I had some similar ideas but wasn't quite sure how to explain them, and you all helped me start thinking. I will be sure to post my paper!! Thanks again for all your help, now I think I may be able to actually start writing!

~Kyra

p.s. What are the best websites to find the history of swimming and such?

Guvnah
January 27th, 2005, 02:48 PM
Maybe you could select the history of a certain "event". What I had in mind was something like swimming the English Channel, or Alcatraz.

Maybe you could research why the IronMan triathlon uses 2.4 miles for its swim portion. (I could spoil it and just blab it here, but where's the fun in that?)

Karen Duggan
January 27th, 2005, 04:07 PM
Guvnah, you're a tease ;)

My inquiring mind wants to know!

Guvnah
January 28th, 2005, 02:04 PM
It's the distance for a local Hawaiian race --
the Wakiki rough water swim.

(The 112 mile bike portion is based on the Around-Oahu Bike Race. And the 26.2 mile run is the basic marathon distance.)

Seagurl51
January 30th, 2005, 02:32 PM
Hey everyone! I finished the outline for my speech, and here it is! Please, if you read it, let me know about any suggestions you have or something wrong that I put in there.

~Kyra

jean sterling
January 30th, 2005, 04:06 PM
There is some interesting stuff in there that I didn't know - like knights having to swim in armor and drawings of early swimmers.

One suggestion: make sure that you get across that the five o'clock practice is in the morning - a lot of people might just assume that it's in the evening. :-)

scyfreestyler
January 30th, 2005, 04:59 PM
Looks good and does anybody else find it kinda funny that the guy who invented fly had the last name Armbruster (Armbuster perhaps?)?

Seagurl51
January 30th, 2005, 05:05 PM
Thanks for reading my paper. Yea some of the stuff I found was really interesting. I found a site online that, when printed out, had 8 pages about the history of swimming. It was really interesting!

~Kyra

p.s. 330man- I remember thinking the same thing when I read that.:D

Sparky
January 30th, 2005, 05:39 PM
I think this is quite good. You included lots of information that's really cool. (Knights swimmning in armor — who knew?)

My only suggestion, and this is optional, is when you discuss the strokes, start with breaststroke first. That's the one you mention prominently in your introduction. Since it was the first Olympic swimming event, you can start with that and move forward. It makes for a smoother transition, IMHO.

On the other hand, I think it's clever to discuss the strokes in I.M. order. Any plans to mention the medley event?

Nice job. I think you'll do well.

Adam

thisgirl13
January 30th, 2005, 07:49 PM
Bravi, Kyra! Your speech looks incredibly well-researched, and makes people pay attention right in the beginning.

Excellent!

Robert Strauss
January 30th, 2005, 08:30 PM
The BASICS are Three, You're Right:
Streamline glide, off every wall
Count Strokes, learn Best Balance & Distance Per Stroke.
Pay Attention.

If you only learn to "pay attention" swimming classes, lessons, workouts were very inexpensive.:)