PDA

View Full Version : swimming scholarship

hooked-on-swimming
January 27th, 2005, 01:46 AM
I was talking to a friend of mine who went to a private school with a football scholarship and he told me that they had players even in their late 20s and early 30s.I was wondering, how getting a swimming scholarship works as far as age.Obviously you have to be good to ba looked at in the first place, but then what if you are good but "old", like 25 and after.Not that I am looking for one(I couldbn't with my level of swimminf anyways) but I am just really curious ...And then how "bad" a swimmer can you be and still get a scholarship ... again, just curious :-)

Rob Copeland
January 27th, 2005, 08:24 AM
www.collegeswimming.com/?show=recruit has some excellent information on college recruitment/scholarships. And
www.ncaa.org/library/membership/division_i_manual/2004-05/2004-05_d1_manual.pdf
contains the rules for eligibility, an excerpt related to swimming is below (and we thought Masters rules were confusing)

BYLAW, ARTICLE 14 - Eligibility: Academic and General Requirements

14.2.3.2 Tennis and Swimming and Diving. Subsequent to the high-school graduation date of the student-athlete’s class (as determined by the first year of high-school enrollment or the international equivalent as specified in the NCAA Guide to International Academic Standards for Athletics Eligibility), a student-athlete shall have one year in order to be immediately eligible and retain the opportunity for four seasons of competition upon initial, full-time collegiate enrollment. Graduation from high school or secondary school shall be based on the student-athlete’s prescribed educational path in his or her country. The student also must meet all applicable NCAA, institutional and conference eligibility requirements. A student who does not enroll in a collegiate institution as a full-time student during that one-year time period shall be subject to the following: (Adopted: 1/9/96 effective 8/1/97 for those student-athletes first entering a collegiate institution on or after 8/1/97, 4/29/04 effective 8/1/04 for competition occurring on or after 8/1/04)
(a) The student-athlete shall be charged with a season of intercollegiate tennis or swimming and diving eligibility for each calendar year subsequent to the one-year time period (i.e., the next opportunity to enroll after one calendar year has elapsed) and prior to full-time collegiate enrollment during which the student-athlete has participated in organized tennis or swimming and diving events per Bylaw 14.2.3.5.3. (Revised: 4/29/04 effective 8/1/04 for competition occurring on or after 8/1/04)
(b) Subsequent to the one-year time period, if the student-athlete has engaged in organized tennis or swimming and diving events per Bylaw 14.2.3.5.3, upon matriculation at the certifying institution, the student-athlete must fulfill an academic year in residence before being eligible to represent the institution in intercollegiate tennis or swimming and diving competition. (Revised: 4/29/04 effective 8/1/04 for competition occurring on or after 8/1/04)

Rob Copeland
January 27th, 2005, 08:40 AM
As for the second part of your question “how "bad" a swimmer can you be and still get a scholarship” Consider that Division I schools are limited by the NCAA to 9.9 men’s swimming scholarships, Division II schools are limited to 8.1 men’s scholarships and Division III schools are not permitted to offer athletic scholarships. There are 142 division 1 and 50 division 2 colleges that offer swimming scholarships to Men. That's a maximum of 1,810.8 swimming and diving scholarships for men in the NCAA.

Assuming that these are evenly divided amongst the Freshmen to Senior classes, this leaves about 450 scholarships for any incoming class. For most programs partial scholarships are doled out to the top 1 or 2 swimmers in each event. I’d suggest you check the swim times of the schools of interest to you to see where you stack-up. If you are looking at one of the top 20 to 30 major colleges you had better have senior national or Olympic cut times.

knelson
January 27th, 2005, 10:53 AM
That's sort of a strict rule. So, it sounds like you can take off one year after high school and not be "charged" for it. After that you start eating up your eligibility (assuming you're participating in organized swimming during that time). I guess you could take off a couple years to ski bum and wouldn't miss out on any eligibility as long as you didn't swim competitively during that time :)

I'm guessing they instituted this rule to prevent teams from recruiting older, internationally experienced, foreign swimmers.

craiglll@yahoo.com
January 27th, 2005, 11:55 AM
Look at schools that have mostly Morman students. Many of their athelets begin after they have done their missionary work. BYU has the oldest average age football team in the country usually. Also, look at St. Francis in Ill & its volleyball team a few years ago when it won the NCAA's. They had some Brazilians who were like 25 yrs old.

I don't understand why swimming is so strict. It really is a doble standard.

Also, if a Division III school wants some one bad enough, they have so many scholarships for other reasons. Check the small schools through out Illinois & the midwest. See if any of them have any interest. I went to Knox. It has a very small team but it is a great, small college with lots of schoralships. It has so many different special interst scholarships. It is very expensive but, like many small Liberal Arts schools, most students get some type of scholarship for something.

tjrpatt
January 27th, 2005, 09:21 PM
College swimming age limits are stupid. My friend on my college team had to quit college swimming because he turned 25 or something. But, football players can play in their late 20s I think. My friend was from Europe and they tend to go to college in the states at 20 or something. I am 27 and I should be able to do 3 years of college swimming but I can't due to the age limits. Then again, did the NCAA change that rule. Yet, then again, can you be eligible if you are doing a Masters Program at a college, just curious.

knelson
January 28th, 2005, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by tjrpatt
Yet, then again, can you be eligible if you are doing a Masters Program at a college, just curious.

It seems to me Masters would count if you competed. 14.2.3.5.3 mentions "organized competition" and I would assume Masters would count. Not sure, though. Those rules are a little confusing...

Frank Thompson
January 28th, 2005, 02:17 PM
There is an editorial on NCAA scholarships by John Leonard, who is the Executive Director of the American Swim Coaches Association (ASCA), on Swim Info yesterday that addresses the problems at schools and encourages people to write letters to schools to support more scholarships for swimming. Go to www.swiminfo.com and it will be in the top stories.