PDA

View Full Version : alcohol and performance

hooked-on-swimming
January 29th, 2005, 05:05 PM
Here's a story:I am not a drinker, I go out sometimes, but all I manage is like, a beer or two, pretty much i do that to socialize...Anyways, last time I went out "hard" was months ago and last nigit I just decided to let loose a bit and have some fun with my friends.Well, I did not restrict myself on the booze, so I ended up getting really drunk.Today I had a bad hangover and all those things related to a fun drinking night like that...
I wanted to get myself in order and decided to still swim today(I just got back from practice and actually feel like new:))).So I was doing my regular stuff and then decided to time my 50 meter breaststroke to see how much I would suck because of the alcohol the night before.Well, off I go... hit the wall, stop the clock and guess what - personal best, and not just slightly improved, but by 3 seconds!!!I was shocked.I hope it was not related to my night of drinking, because I was swimming very hard and did not time myself in breast for 3 weeks, but still ... that's 3 weeks and 3 seconds.Oh maybe my day off from swimming yeasterday worked as a little taper,lol(I hardly skip a day of swimming, I have very few days off) and my muscles were rested or something - but hey, I was hung over.
Just weird!!!
What do you think?

jpjackson76
January 29th, 2005, 06:39 PM
I used to races mountain bikes with my buddy, and he swore he rode faster on race day of he got polluted sp? the night before. I never had the guts to experiment with that.

But anyways congrats on the time drop 3 seconds in lots of time.

EyeoreSAM
January 29th, 2005, 06:52 PM
Well, Dima I am not sure that there is any correlation between the drinking and the loss of time on your breast. I personally have had really bad experiences when combining a hangover with swimming and most of them involved being really sick to my stomach. My old coach used to describe drinking alcohol as poisoning your body and then asking it to perform. I tend to agree, but that is just my opinion and my experience.

It sounds like you have been working really hard over the past months and that is why you are doing better!!

knelson
January 30th, 2005, 12:27 AM
I'm sure many of us who swam in college have a pretty decent sample size of swimming after drinking too much and gauging the effects of alcohol on practice performance. My personal experience is sometimes you feel great--and we're talking swimming at 6:00 a.m. following a night of drinking ending at 2:00 or 3:00. In general you feel like crap.

If I tried it now I'm absolutely certain I'd feel terrible if not keel over entirely! There's no way I'd try it now, though. My body can't take it anymore.

DAP
January 30th, 2005, 01:44 PM
One of my Masters coaches was talking about alcohol consumption just yesterday. She mainly concentrates on triathlon training, and she was talking about how many triathletes totally abstain from alcohol when training for a race. She believes that a little alcohol, a glass of wine or beer occasionally, is OK when training (not as a sports drink :D). Of course, totally getting wasted and hungover could not be good for performance in any physical activity.

jim thornton
February 1st, 2005, 10:26 PM
The three second differential makes me wonder if it's possible you are used to swimming in a meters pool and for some reason timed yourself in a yards pool and assumed the distances were the same. I'm not sure what your times were, but 50 meters is somewhere in the neighborhood of 3 seconds longer than 50 yards.

If my hypothesis holds up, perhaps the night of imbibing affected your cognitive faculties more than you might have imagined!

hooked-on-swimming
February 2nd, 2005, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by jim thornton
The three second differential makes me wonder if it's possible you are used to swimming in a meters pool and for some reason timed yourself in a yards pool and assumed the distances were the same. I'm not sure what your times were, but 50 meters is somewhere in the neighborhood of 3 seconds longer than 50 yards.

If my hypothesis holds up, perhaps the night of imbibing affected your cognitive faculties more than you might have imagined!

No, I swim in the same meter pool all the time and time myself in that very pool, too.Actually 3 days after that I timed myself again and improved agai by .30 off the personal best set on a "hang-over day".So I think it had nothing to do with me drinking the night before, I just did not time myself for a couple of weeks and must have improved ...