PDA

View Full Version : help with dry skin

swimrat
February 3rd, 2005, 10:21 AM
HI,

I've recently moved from a very humid climate to a very dry climate. (OKC, OK to Denver, CO). I have a hard time finding stuff to put in the tub to get rid of the dryness on my back and shoulders after I swim. It's awful. I've tried putting something from Vasiline Intensive care, it's like an oil, and things that bubble up too. And I have to put half the bottle in for it to do anything. Do any of you have any suggestions for what I can try for the bathtub. I have lotions and such, but I would rather it go back in the way it came out, through the water. Thanks a bunch.

Kelli,

Alicat
February 3rd, 2005, 11:54 AM
Nutragena puts out a product called sesme oil, smells nice and after repeated use is does help with dry skin. Right now I am using baby oil in a pump sprayer. For extra dry spots I use bag balm --AKA utter cream...:rolleyes:

Scansy
February 3rd, 2005, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by Alicat
Nutragena puts out a product called sesme oil, smells nice and after repeated use is does help with dry skin. Right now I am using baby oil in a pump sprayer. For extra dry spots I use bag balm --AKA utter cream...:rolleyes:

Don't have a cow (pun intended).... udder cream works wonders.

swimrat
February 3rd, 2005, 03:01 PM
Can I buy that "utter cream" at wal-mart/target? About how much is it?

ps--scancy....DOWN WITH THE PATRIOTS!! Broke my husbands heart to see the Steelers lose :(

Scansy
February 3rd, 2005, 04:45 PM
Swimrat, I don't know if I can even watch the SB.

There is a small, bitter part of me that wants to see the Eagles break Tom Brady in half..... I have to work harder to control that small part of me.....

Where's Tom - I need help with the voices in my head.....:cool:

DAP
February 3rd, 2005, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by swimrat
I've recently moved from a very humid climate to a very dry climate. (OKC, OK to Denver, CO).
OKC is "very humid"!? I'm in the Dallas area, close to OKC, and it is occasionally humid, but I wouldn't call it "very humid". New Orleans is what I would call very humid, and when I moved from there to Dallas, my skin itched for about a year until I acclimated to the dryer climate. I guess it's all relative.

At this time of year when it is cold and dry, I get dry and itchy skin, particularly on my back. I find that keeping the water temperature down in the shower seems to help. Really hot shower water makes it worse.

Alicat
February 3rd, 2005, 09:28 PM
You can get bag balm at the grocery/Wal-Mart/pharmacy. It is in a green tin. It is one of those products that was made for animals, but humans found out about it (like mane and tail shampoo/conditioner --can find that in most grocery stores or heck Agway for that matter! It's suppose to leave hair soft with shine --just like the horse it is used on--). It has an extra antibiotic in the mixture to prevent infections. I joke with my husband and tell him he needs to use it on his hands and then put socks on and sleep the night...

"Zims crack cream" is really good too, and drink plenty of water to hydrate the body/skin.

jean sterling
February 4th, 2005, 11:35 AM
Where do you get mane and tail shampoo, and what does it do for your hair?

SwimBikeRun
February 4th, 2005, 02:53 PM
Swimrat, I have the same problem with really dry skin after swimming. I've found that Aquaphor really helps the severe patches of dry skin. I know it's not for the bath, and it's more like an ointment. You should be able to find it at any pharmacy, but you might have to ask the pharmacist for it because they usually keep it at the pharmacy (it's over-the-counter though).

Sparky
February 4th, 2005, 08:30 PM
Have you tried using regular ol' hand lotion? I use it on my arms and legs (and chest and shoulders on bad days) and it seems to keep my skin from drying out.

Adam

P.S. Scansy - As a displaced 'Burgher, I was pulling for the Steelers all the way! Stoopid Patriots!

tularyn
February 5th, 2005, 10:52 AM
My skin gets very dry and what I've found helpful are the Aveeno oatmeal bath packets. They have 2 types I think, one is regular and one says it's for treatments of rashes, etc. I use the second one.

They are very moisturizing--you just empty one into the tub, break up the clumps and soak away.

Most drug stores also have their own version, which is usually cheaper than the Aveeno and sometimes on sale, and these work just as well.

Good luck!

Navigator
May 24th, 2005, 01:04 AM
I live in Alberta, Canada - it's bloody cold and dry all winter so I use epsom salts (about a cupful) in the bath, combined with some Neutrogena sesame oil. I don't even need moisturizer after that. If that's no good, try adding some skim milk powder to the epsom salts. Good luck!

jswim
May 24th, 2005, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by swimrat
HI,

I've recently moved from a very humid climate to a very dry climate. (OKC, OK to Denver, CO). I have a hard time finding stuff to put in the tub to get rid of the dryness on my back and shoulders after I swim. It's awful. I've tried putting something from Vasiline Intensive care, it's like an oil, and things that bubble up too. And I have to put half the bottle in for it to do anything. Do any of you have any suggestions for what I can try for the bathtub. I have lotions and such, but I would rather it go back in the way it came out, through the water. Thanks a bunch.

Kelli,

Burts Bees has a product for the bath it's a bath oil with lemon oil and some others, it's great for dry skin. Also as Ali said, sesame oil is great.. you could just get a bottle of sesame oil (for cooking) give yourself a little massage with it and take a warm shower afterwards just rinsing the excess off. It will leave your skin feeling much better.
good luck!
J

craiglll@yahoo.com
May 24th, 2005, 03:40 PM
Dermaskinpro before you swim is great. It idoesn't screw up the filter system of the pool & it keeps your skin soft. Oddly, it also helps keep soem, of my seasonal rashes at bay. If you go to theri website you can get three free samples. www.dermaskinpro.com, I think.