PDA

View Full Version : Nose clip

zeebie
February 4th, 2005, 05:07 PM
Do you where a nose clip?

Matthias
February 5th, 2005, 03:42 AM
I just wear a nose clip when I perform backbreaststroke because I usally breath through my mouth which makes my nose fill with water if I swim breast on my back.
And also when I swim freestyle with a flip turn but thats a very rare occasion as I prefere to make those open turns in training.

Brgds

Matthias

eliana2003
February 5th, 2005, 06:41 AM
I have a question: What is the breathing pattern for backstroke? Sounds like a dumb question, but I always feel like I'm breathing 'wrong', when doing back (like I'm taking too many breaths).

e.

Matthias
February 5th, 2005, 07:01 AM
I guess there is no breathing pattern for backstroke. When I swim backstroke I just continue normal breathing (except for the turns ;) )
But there are also swimmers who delevoped their own pettern - I remember a romanian swimmer at the SC European Championships lifting her head a bit in order to breath so :confused:

brgds

Matthias

SWinkleblech
February 5th, 2005, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by eliana2003
I have a question: What is the breathing pattern for backstroke? Sounds like a dumb question, but I always feel like I'm breathing 'wrong', when doing back (like I'm taking too many breaths).

e.

I was told by the coach at our Y that you should breath in and then out every other stroke. So if you breath in when taking a stroke with your right arm you should breath out the next time you stroke with your right arm.
I never realized there was a breathing pattern for backstroke until he told me this.

AnnG
February 5th, 2005, 01:46 PM
I wear a nose clip for backstroke so I can dolphin off the start and turns and keep my air, and I hate the nasal flush. I also wear it for IM's as there is backstroke.
It did take me a while to get used to only using my mouth for breathing.

craiglll@yahoo.com
February 5th, 2005, 04:46 PM
I think it is a great fib to say backstroke is easier becasue you can breaht whenever you want. You should have as set of a pattern doing backstroke as with any other stroke. I usually inhale as my left hand is pushin dack and my right arm is leaving the water. Then I exhale as my right hand enters the water.this is almost the exact way I breath when I do the free.

I've had two operations on my sinuses to remove polyps. The last time the ENT told me that if polyps came back, he wouldn't be able to remove them. I think that mosty older peole with asthma, past polyps, and aspirin sensitivity should always use clips.

swimmieAvsFan
March 4th, 2005, 03:11 PM
i have never ever worn a nose clip!!! it seems like it would be so very uncomfortable and just one more thing to have to worry about, gear-wise. i know there are a few people on my team that swear by them, but i dunno... and this is coming from a backstroker!!! i can dolphin about 10-13 meters off my first wall without getting water in my nose (usually!) after that, i'm usually going about 7-8 meters (and still no water). i guess after all this time, i've just figured out how NOT to get water in my nose, sans nose clip. ;)