PDA

View Full Version : meet in Bloomington, IN

craiglll@yahoo.com
February 7th, 2005, 06:31 PM
Yes, I know that I complain about all of the Illinois meets being in Chicago.

Is anyone going to the meet in Bloomington, IN. this weekend? It is in the Councilman pool. It is areally great pool to swim in. also, the drive through that part of Indiana is wonderful, hilly, forrested and some of the roads there are old two lane highways.

dorothyrde
February 7th, 2005, 07:25 PM
I have a friend going, who has family down there. It is a great pool, have taken my kids there. The drive is long but pretty.

craiglll@yahoo.com
February 8th, 2005, 12:01 PM
From Urbana, it isn't that long. If you take I-74 to Crwfordsville, then go through Greencastle and all those small towns it is only about 140 miles. If you go to Indy it is 165 miles. A big differnce!

dorothyrde
February 8th, 2005, 12:31 PM
Actually from Mahomet, so a little longer. We found the fastest way is to go through Terre Haute and cut over. I have gone both the Crawfordsville way and the Terre Haute way. The disadvantage of Terre Haute is the lights when you get to Terre Haute are really bad. Last spring I tried to find a way around Terre Haute through the country and ended up adding to my trip because I got wound around.

Crawfordsville is more senic and not bad if you don't get stuck behind slow drivers as it is only 2 lanes, Terre Haute is 4 lane highway.

Never gone the Indy way, looked too long.

Either way, the slowest part of the trip is from Spencerville to Bloomington. There is no way to pass because it is too curvy and windy and the traffic is usually heavy. Allow time for that.

craiglll@yahoo.com
February 8th, 2005, 01:13 PM
I went to college for 1 1/2 years in Greencastle. DePauw is beautiful but so conservatve. Now it is in the top 10 party schools inthe USA.

when I did a computer search through Terre Haute, It said that it was 153 miles. is that not true! Anyway, I promised that I would stop in Greencastle & take pictures to e-mail to a friend in Thailand.

dorothyrde
February 8th, 2005, 01:53 PM
Hope the weather holds for you, would not want to take those roads in snow and ice...and have fun, it is a great pool.

strong440
February 8th, 2005, 08:13 PM
Y'all come! And be sure to visit the sculpture of Doc Counsilman, depicted as he was swimming the English Channel (as the oldest man, age 58, in 1979). It's in the lobby, just outside the public seating balcony of the pool. Feel free to touch it for luck!

Doug strong

craiglll@yahoo.com
February 9th, 2005, 10:44 AM
I love driving through the two lane highway from Crawfordsville to Bloomington. Last summer, I did it during a rain storm all the way from Urbana. It is a great pool. When I was in high school, I got to meet Doc Counsilman. I told him that I wished I was a good enough swimmer to swim for him. I wasn't even close.