PDA

View Full Version : UAA (Div III) Swim Championships

mattson
February 10th, 2005, 01:30 PM
Although I'll be elsewhere, maybe someone is interested in seeing college swimming and diving live. Carnegie-Mellon is the reason I am living in Illinois, and Rochester is where Boomer (in the 1980s) developed many of the ideas that grew into Total Immersion.

UAA Swimming & Diving Championships (http://athletics.uchicago.edu/uaa-swim-championship-home.htm) at the UChicago Myers-McLoraine Pool

MPohlmann
February 10th, 2005, 09:41 PM
That's some pool the University of Chicago has. Why haven't we had any Masters meets there?

Mary

SwiminONandON
February 11th, 2005, 10:30 AM
Mary I thought the same thing when I saw it. But I actually have a question for you. What would the process be for bidding upon, then sanctioning a LCM Masters Championship meet sometime this summer.

craiglll@yahoo.com
February 11th, 2005, 11:23 AM
Wouldn't we have to bid for 2006? Somewhere, I think in the administration thread, I saw the bid form. It woudl be great to have the LCM in Chicago(especially if the Cubs were also in town that weekend).

SwiminONandON
February 11th, 2005, 12:46 PM
Craig, I actually meant for a LCM State meet. We have our SCY in April, but I was thinking it'd be awesome to have a LCM Central championship meet, too!

Of course it would be very cool to host THE Masters LCM championship meet!

craiglll@yahoo.com
February 11th, 2005, 09:25 PM
In the Admisnistration button on the home page, they have in the Febryuary calendar to send out bids for 2007. I guess 2005 & 2006 are both already appointed ( or maybe 2006 bids are being taken, I don't know.). I tried to copy the calendar item but it would not let me. Go to Administration and look. It woudl have to be discussed pretty quickly. Maybe spring meeting.

I justed e-mail Mary this afternoon. She's in Colorado on vacation. If Illinios could get it togehter, it would be fun. Certainly Chicago would have no problem with room avaiablity.

I'm planning on running for secretary. It would be great to put together a bib packet!!!! I do know htat when Illinios had a postal swim inthe past, it had the least number of participants of any postals.

MPohlmann
February 11th, 2005, 11:43 PM
Yes, the site for the 2006 Nationals has already been determined. The 2007 Nationals will be voted upon at the USMS Convention in September. Any group that has an adequate facility and wishes to bid for the 2007 SC or LC nationals should ask for a bid packet now from USMS.

CMSA would have time to discuss this at our April 16th meeting, but we'd have to have a really firm commitment from someone who would want to host it. The University of Chicago pool looks excellent for LC Nationals, but they would also have to have some sort of warmup/warm down facility. I couldn't tell about that from the picture.

It would be important for any bid to demonstrate experience at hosting a large meet. We could get that experience by hosting a state meet at the facility in question.

Regarding the possibility of hosting a LC State meet, we have not had a LC State meet in a few years. The only meets that are currently planned are late June (Park Ridge 1500) and the Shea Summer Challenge July 18th in Carbondale. The Southern Illinois University facility in Carbondale has been the site of a LC State meet that was quite successful. U of I Chicago Circle and Lemont have also hosted LC State. Anyone who would like to do so should contact Nadine Day for a sanction packet. Our requirements would not be nearly as rigorous as for our SC State meet. We would not require bids unless we had more than one club that wanted to host a LC state championship.

Mary Pohlmann, Chair CMSA

mbmg3282
February 12th, 2005, 12:16 AM
The 2006 SC Nationals will be in Coral Springs, FL. In order to support the FINA World Championships at Stanford in 2006, USMS will not be hosting a LC Nationals that year.

As for the 2007 LC Nationals, the championship committee is just getting started on soliciting bids from pools and clubs. For the University of Chicago to be a successful bidder several requirements would need to be met.

1. Have a 50 meter pool (the Chicago facility is 50 meters by 25 yards, so you are good on that one)

2. Have a warm up pool. According to the facility website, there is only one pool. A tempory pool such as the one made by Splash Superpools could solve that problem.

3. The facility needs seating for about 1000 people. I couldn't tell from the photos what the capacity of this facility is.

If these things could be worked out, Chicago would be a great city to host nationals in. For more information, contact myself or any other member of the championship committee.

NKMD
February 12th, 2005, 08:07 AM
As for the University of Chicago pool for a National Championship, seating is limited to less than 500; that would be a concern.

For our State meet that wouldn't be a concern.

Also, Is there another pool for warm-up/warm-down. If not we can run 6 lanes instead of 8 lanes.

However, Heather wants a response on how many swimmers are interested in having a Illinois LCM State Meet in Chicago.

She has already asked for a sanction packet.

These dates need to be considered:
June18-19: Swim Louisville.com (Kentucky)
June 25 Park Ridge (Illinois)
July 2 Firecracker Meet IU Natatorium (Indiana)
July 22-31 World Master Games, Edmonton, CANADA
August 5-7 Lakeside Invitational (Kentucky)
Aug 11-14 USMS LCM National (Mission Viejo, CA)

WHO IS INTERESTED IN HAVING A LONG COURSE MASTERS STATE MEET IN ILLINOIS?

MPohlmann
February 12th, 2005, 08:39 AM
Carbondale (Southern Illinois University) would be interested in making their summer challenge meet be the 2005 CMSA LC State meet.

We are planning Sunday, July 17th for our meet, but could make it a multiple day meet (July 16-17) if it were the state meet.

We have 10 lanes (50 meter), lots of deck space and have hosted meets with well over 500 participants and families.

We will be promoting our meet as "Take the Amtrak To Swim". It's easy to get to Carbondale from Chicago on the train.

Nadine, please put July 17th Ed and Ruth Shea Summer Challenge in Carbondale on your list of potential summer meets.

Mary

alexhelfers
February 12th, 2005, 05:07 PM
Mark-

I swam in the UAA, for Wash U. It's a pretty fast meet all around- Emory and Mellon are 2 of the top d3 teams, and Wash U and Case Western have been top 10-15 the last few years as well.

Mary, to answer your question, UChicago's pool is very new- I think it's only about 6 months old. I think the UAA meet is the first major meet they've had there...perhaps even the first one outside of regular college dual meets. I went down to see UAA finals yesterday and it's an incredible facility.

-Alex

craiglll@yahoo.com
February 13th, 2005, 12:34 AM
I remember when they were digging it out. so It can't be too old.

Today Nadine did a wonderful swim in bloomington, IN. Their pool is very nice also. There were three of us from IM. I tried to wait for our team rsults but had to meet a friend.

craiglll@yahoo.com
February 13th, 2005, 12:38 AM
I think it would be fun jus to have a LC summer. Urbana has a 50 meter pool at Crystal Lake. However, they never mark it. Also, I think the new pool at Urbana's High School can be configured into 50 meters. I haven't regularly swam 50 meters sicne the 90's. Do many peole have the opportunity to practice that distance? I know now when I've done it in bloomingotn this past summer, it could be very rough.

mattson
February 15th, 2005, 02:36 AM
I thought this last summer was a little better than most years. The Firecracker meet was missing, and I couldn't make the Saluki meet. But there was still the Park Ridge mile, St Charles East (shortly before Nationals), and the Gugly meet at the end of the season.

Hey Alex, I have a CMU swimming shirt, but only because I socialized with the coach and some of the swimmers when I was in grad school. When I left (long ago), they were still using the 5-lane "dungeon" pool. When I visited in 2002, I finally saw the improved CMU aquatic facilities. (Strange that they did not go with a 50m pool.)

dorothyrde
February 15th, 2005, 06:34 AM
Originally posted by craiglll@yahoo.com
I think it would be fun jus to have a LC summer. Urbana has a 50 meter pool at Crystal Lake. However, they never mark it. Also, I think the new pool at Urbana's High School can be configured into 50 meters. I haven't regularly swam 50 meters sicne the 90's. Do many peole have the opportunity to practice that distance? I know now when I've done it in bloomingotn this past summer, it could be very rough.

Correction, Crystal Lake is not marked nor has lane lines and I am not sure it is even 50 meters, and the turn end would only be about 1.5 feet. Sholem in Champaign is 50 meters, 10 lanes, and that is where we hold our age group meets. However, this is the last summer for this as the Park district will be taking it out for the sake of a lazy river and zero dept pool.:confused:

Urbana is 8 lanes 25 yards one way, and 6 lanes 25 meters the other way. Aquachiefs will be holding its first ever 25 meter meet this May in hopes of attracting kids who want to be the first to set records in Illinois. Previous to this year, 25 meters was not a course that ISI had records for.
'
Glad to hear Bloomington went well, I will have to talk to Julie and see how she did.

cjquill
February 21st, 2005, 12:03 PM
The swimming events for the Edmonton World Masters Games conclude on Thursday, July 28th with the open water events.

A prospective meet host should consider either Saturday July 30th and/or Sunday July 31st for a long course meet.