PDA

View Full Version : Free and Back Workouts

Estrella Obscura
February 13th, 2005, 07:31 PM
Although I read the post (and responses) by the girl who wanted to know about some free/back workouts because she was having to lay off of breast and fly for rotar reasons, I don't exactly have that problem...

In high school, we didn't have a "really" serious team and so I never learned how to fly, but I was told that I would not be a breast stroker and that at some point they would teach me butterfly (but then I didn't get the chance to swim again the next year).

However, I am a long-distance swimmer--I swam 500 and 1000 in high school and I'm now swimming 2000 and 2500 just to keep up my endurance (but really I work on form in the second thousand, really concentrating on making my strokes longer rather than allowing them to become choppy). I've also noticed that I don't really "kick in" until at least the 400 mark...I feel sluggish before that, like I feel when I sprint.

I'm concerned though about hurting my shoulder or sustaining some other type of injury. What dry-land exercises and drills would you all suggest and how often would you suggest them?

Seagurl51
February 13th, 2005, 07:57 PM
Hi Liz! Here some exercises that my doctor gave me to keep my shoulder in place.

1) Take some small weights (3-5 lbs) and stand with your arms at your sides. Then just bring your arms straight up so that are paralell with your shoulder. Make sure you are using your shoulders to lift your arms and not your arms. Do 2-3 sets of 10 reps.

2) Stand up straight and hold your arms and weights at 90 degrees. Keep your elbow in contact with your body and swing your arm until it's paralell with your body. Do 2-3 sets of 10 reps.

I do these everyday to keep my shoulders from slipping and getting injured again. It generally takes about 5 or 10 minutes. I try to do them when I wake up or before I go to bed.

This link...hopefully it works...goes to an article that is full of shoulder exercises. This workout takes a lot longer to do and focuses on the whole body, but specifically targets all the muslces that hold in shoulders..including core body muslces.

http://www.usaswimming.org/USASWeb/...&ItemId=700

Hope this helps!!!

~Kyra

spintwo
February 14th, 2005, 11:51 PM
Your link is broken.