PDA

View Full Version : Moderate vs. Vigorous Freestyle

Estrella Obscura
February 16th, 2005, 09:34 AM
I was trying to figure out about how many calories I burn in the pool. What, for a long distance swimmer, would constitute a "vigorous" workout vs. a moderate one? If anyone could give me a basic idea in time per mile or something like that, it would be great! Thanks!:D

etrain
February 16th, 2005, 10:15 AM
I don't think you can actually put a time on it. A moderate swim for me could be a vigorous swim to you or vise-versa. Moderate to me would be relaxed and could hold the times all day long, while vigorous would be that you are going close to all out. This will also change from day to day, some days I can hold faster times while others I just don't feel as good in the water...

Hope that makes some sense...

etrain

craiglll@yahoo.com
February 16th, 2005, 03:31 PM
Good reply. I follow th epresidnetial challenge. they ask for degree of energy. I usually say vigorous. I would love for some one to come up with something like the Presidents Challenge for USMS. have t-shirts & pins for goals meet. It woudl be great. does anyone else dothe challenge?

Saturday, I was at a met in Bloomington, IN. While swimmign the first 25 yds of a 100free, I realized that I don't swim fast enough while I'm prcticing. I'm going tohave to speed it up during practice.

Estrella Obscura
February 16th, 2005, 05:34 PM
That seems like a logical way to look at it. Thanks!

Fred Johnson
February 16th, 2005, 10:51 PM
Etrain makes a good point. Vigorous v. moderate depends on the swimmer, including her/his fitness condition, genetics, age, etc. I venture to say that the answer depends on heart rate. If you are raising your heart rate to 60% or 80%, you are defining the difference. A swimmer's resting heart rate and maximum heart rate (which are functions of age, genetics, fitness condition, and other variables I can't remember right now) establish the parameters within which s/he exerts either moderate or vigorous effort.