PDA

View Full Version : workouts to improve 200 & 500 free?

jbroadri
February 16th, 2005, 02:50 PM
I'm looking to add a solo workout to my routine with the purpose to be helping me improve my 200 free and 500 free times. I have time for 5-6k yards.

Background: I was a HS swimmer and I just got back in the pool last fall ('04). I swam 2 times a week in the fall for about 7-8k yards per week. Starting in Jan I now swim 3-4 times a week for 9-16k per week. These workouts are designed primarily for the "all around swimmer." Lots of stroke work, and intervals mostly of 100 yards.

Goal: My current times for 200 and 500 free (in a meet) are 2:10 and 6:10. I want to get them down to Masters National qualifying times 1:58 & 5:27 for next spring. I was much faster than this in HS so I think its a reasonable goal over a year of swimming.

So, given the background information, how should I go about making sets for my long workouts? Basically I think I want to do some speed intervals and some endurance intervals, but I'm not sure how to combine them into a single workout, and I'm not sure what distance intervals to do. I figure about 1000 yards for warmup/drills and 500-1000 warmdown. That leaves me with 4000 yards of "main-sets" to account for.

Help?

etrain
February 17th, 2005, 12:26 PM
Do some repeats of 100's with only 3-5 seconds rest. Given your times from comp. I would guess you could hold them around 1:20 pretty easy. I would start with 5 and then work up to 10. Also you could do this with 200's as well. This will also help you in controlling the first few 100's, because if you go out too hard you are done for. Other things to do would be to negative split and/or descending sets. We do a lot of 3x100 desc 1-3, where you are basically trying to go faster in each one. To neg split just try and go faster on the second part of the distance than the first.

Another thing, don't be afraid to do 500's in practice, and do them hard. Remember you race how you practice.

Enjoy,

etrain

MadDoctor
February 21st, 2005, 07:24 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm working on getting my 200 & 500 free times down, also.

Mad Doctor:D

ande
February 22nd, 2005, 07:57 PM
decide to focus on those events

do some speed work

some pace work so you learn how to correctly split the races

then do longer stuff where you go
hard and steady but don't get much rest
ie 10 x 100 on 1:15

get a coach

get training partners to suffer along with you

wear a fast skin body suit

I'm actually thinking of taking a season and training for the 500
a few weeks ago I went 4:58 but at the 250
I split it
2:24, 2:34
and that ain't the way to do it
the first 250 and the last

good luck

ande

Originally posted by jbroadri
I'm looking to add a solo workout to my routine with the purpose to be helping me improve my 200 free and 500 free times. I have time for 5-6k yards.

Background: I was a HS swimmer and I just got back in the pool last fall ('04). I swam 2 times a week in the fall for about 7-8k yards per week. Starting in Jan I now swim 3-4 times a week for 9-16k per week. These workouts are designed primarily for the "all around swimmer." Lots of stroke work, and intervals mostly of 100 yards.

Goal: My current times for 200 and 500 free (in a meet) are 2:10 and 6:10. I want to get them down to Masters National qualifying times 1:58 & 5:27 for next spring. I was much faster than this in HS so I think its a reasonable goal over a year of swimming.

So, given the background information, how should I go about making sets for my long workouts? Basically I think I want to do some speed intervals and some endurance intervals, but I'm not sure how to combine them into a single workout, and I'm not sure what distance intervals to do. I figure about 1000 yards for warmup/drills and 500-1000 warmdown. That leaves me with 4000 yards of "main-sets" to account for.

Help?