PDA

View Full Version : Sore Lats

Carson
February 27th, 2005, 12:48 AM
Hey All,

I am new here, so I apologize in advance if this is the wrong place to post this question.

I started swimming a 3 years ago and have made (from what people are telling me) huge improvements. When I first started swimming I was barley able to hold 2min/100m (Ya, I am from Canada). Now, 3 years later, have brought my 1500m time down to 19:43 (1:18/100m).

When I do a 1500m time trial I always end up finishing with extremely sore lats. I think if I could strengthen my lats I would be able to swim faster. I was wondering if weight workouts would help this, and are lat pull-downs best?

Thanks
:)

ande
February 27th, 2005, 06:15 PM
is that long course meters or short course

for your lats
lat pull and pull ups will strengthen them

what you do in the water is what's most important

even though the 1,500 m free is the longest race in a pool
it only takes 15 to 20 minutes

work on
speed,
aerobic conditioning and
correct splitting

you've made dramatic improvements
but you've got room for more

ande

Originally posted by Carson
Hey All,

I am new here, so I apologize in advance if this is the wrong place to post this question.

I started swimming a 3 years ago and have made (from what people are telling me) huge improvements. When I first started swimming I was barley able to hold 2min/100m (Ya, I am from Canada). Now, 3 years later, have brought my 1500m time down to 19:43 (1:18/100m).

When I do a 1500m time trial I always end up finishing with extremely sore lats. I think if I could strengthen my lats I would be able to swim faster. I was wondering if weight workouts would help this, and are lat pull-downs best?

Thanks
:)

LindsayNB
February 27th, 2005, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by ande

even though the 1,500 m free is the longest race in a pool
it only takes 15 to 20 minutes

In my dreams. :( For now. :D

work on
speed,
aerobic conditioning and
correct splitting

What is correct splitting for the 1500?

Carson
March 1st, 2005, 12:03 AM
the times I was talking about are all short course.... I have yet to do a 1500m timed in long course meters.

Thanks for the tips... I hope they make me faster!

bda721
April 7th, 2005, 10:53 AM
You should also do drills with hand paddles and a pool buoy.

u352
April 7th, 2005, 01:20 PM
I skipped my swim today because of soreness in my shoulders. I am training for an open water swim of 4.5 miles and I am always battling soreness in my shoulders. My daily workout for now is 2000yds which by any standard isn't a lot. So how do you accomplished swimmers do it.

u352
April 8th, 2005, 01:55 PM
This sounds silly but you know what made me faster. Running.