PDA

View Full Version : Getting Started

pool guy
March 11th, 2005, 10:46 AM
Just wanted to say hello to all. This is my first post and it looks like this is the place to be for some great info. I just got back into the pool 3 weeks ago for the first time in 14 years. It sure does feel good! I am hoping to build myself up good enough to compete in some masters events this fall. Does that sound realistic to you all? I have currently elevated my self up to about 2500 yards in my workouts. What would be a good range to work up to for a soon to be 36 year old swimmer?

strong440
March 11th, 2005, 07:46 PM
hey Jim, in case you haven't heard. Milford High School is hosting it annual USMS short course yard meet this Sunday. Deck entries are accepted between noon and 1:00, warmups at 12:30 and the events begin at or after 1:30. In short you don't have to wait until fall for your first meet!

tjrpatt
March 19th, 2005, 02:16 PM
if you can do 2500 yards with very little problems, you can handle a Masters meet. Gosh, when I got back into the pool, I felt exhausted after a 1000 but the next week, I could do 2000 yards with very little problems.

Barton41
March 28th, 2005, 08:15 PM
You guys amaze me... I was 45 yrs out of the water and have been trying to get back in shape for 2 months now about 3 -4 times a week at about 1 hr per session.. I have been working on minute 50's which gives me about 15-20 seconds rest... lungs really seem to be holding me back. I did IM in high school (1959) so am trying to work on fly, breast and back as well as the free. New techinques for sure in all strokes. Trying weights on pulleys for fly & back but not sure on how much/long/frequency etc. Any ideas !!! would sure be appreciated. 64 yrs old IM now 1:31 just can't seem to get into 6 straight minute 50's...

dpd
April 3rd, 2005, 07:55 PM
Kudos to you...45 years! I thought I was a long time out of the pool...I started again after 25 years! I think I started slower than anyone, though. I can only squeeze in about 1500 yds during a lunch hour several times a week. I wish I could go more...but its better than nothing!