PDA

View Full Version : turning (ack!) 40 this year

candacepants
March 11th, 2005, 01:43 PM
I realized recently that I am turning 40 this year. I really hadn't put that much thought into the whole thing until I realized that I am really out of shape. I used to swim a lot and I have always enjoyed it, however due to life and laziness I have failed to stay swimming.

I would like to get into that swimming shape again. I know that as you get older it just gets harder. But, I feel that this is probably the best workout for my body and the fact that once I am in the water (getting to the pool, I find is the hardest thing) I enjoy the work out.

My problem is that I want instant gratification. I want to be able to do 3000+ in the first week and when I can barely do 1000, I become disillusioned.

Any ideas, thoughts, etc.?

candy

pool guy
March 11th, 2005, 05:52 PM
I know exactly what youre going through. I have just made it through my third week of picking the sport back up. Whats kept me going is the idea of competing again in a masters event. Hopefully, by this fall I will be in good enough shape not to embaress myself in a race. I have been trying to reward myself each week. Last week I bought new swim shorts. This week I just purchased a lap counter/timer that straps to your hand. I figure if I keep making investments in swimming then I have to keep going. Plus it helps add a little variety to the sport. Good luck and I hope you stick with it.

Fred Johnson
March 15th, 2005, 09:56 PM
Welcome to the club. I've been a member of the 40 club since last July.

The spare tire around my waste, both brothers battling high cholesterol, two kids (8 and 5) already getting too heavy to lift in my out-of-shape shell and the stark realization that if I don't do something to reverse the decaying process, aging is going to be a pain in the butt. Those are the things that motivated me in the first place. A new YMCA with a great pool ONE BLOCK AWAY took from me every last shred of excuse I had.

Then I went to the workouts section of this site and checked out the workouts posted by Mo Chambers and others. I found them challenging but not unattainable. They made it easier to get up because I knew what I was going to do when I got to the pool. Then I started seeing the workouts as short-term goals to accomplish. Pretty soon, I was at 3000 yards in an hour workout. My general fitness started improving and my motivation followed.

Good luck. BTW, this site provides a lot of good motivation from some pretty insightful folks.

geochuck
March 15th, 2005, 11:07 PM
I know what you are going through. I also became 40, 32 years ago and that feeling comes everytime you get a year older.

George

mattson
March 17th, 2005, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by geochuck
I also became 40, 32 years ago and that feeling comes everytime you get a year older.

George, isn't your family suspicious that you still have forty candles on your birthday cake, after 32 years in a row? ;)

Edited: George has informed me that he doesn't look a day over 39. My apologies for that fortieth candle. :)

craiglll@yahoo.com
March 17th, 2005, 11:26 AM
The summer after I turned forty, I had five operations and wore an oestomy bag for six months. I tell peole that from the stomach on, I'm really an inch worm. Somehow this year I'm going to turn 47. It is truly amazing that I can swim!

candacepants
March 18th, 2005, 11:55 AM
Thanks to those that responded. I am feeling much better about the impending birthday. And I have managed to get back in the pool, three times for my first week. I am hoping to keep it up.
Thanks again.
-c