PDA

View Full Version : Wetsuit wisdom?

Swimmy
March 24th, 2005, 05:18 PM
Hi,
I am thinking of investing in a wetsuit. Any wisdom out there? What style is the best...long, short, sleeves, no sleeves. Where is the best place to find one? Does wearing a wetsuit significantly improve your time?
Last year I did the 1 mile swim in the Chesapeake Bay. Most people had wetsuits. The water temperature was 72 degrees, and I was not cold at all even though I did not have a wetsuit.
Any thoughts?

Swimmy :)

Sabretooth Tiger
March 24th, 2005, 08:10 PM
Wetsuits are for triathletes and surfers. Most open water events out here don't permit or have them in a separate class. You can't wear them for official crossings like the English Channel or the Catalina Channel.

Leonard Jansen
March 25th, 2005, 07:06 AM
Just say "no" to wetsuits. Unless you have a dire need of one to stay warm, just do some swims in cooler water at the beginning of the outdoor season and you should be fine.

-LBJ

Rob Copeland
March 27th, 2005, 09:15 AM
Allyson,

Wetsuits provide warmth and buoyancy. The added buoyancy does significantly improve your time, typically from 1 to 5 minutes per mile.

As for which style is best, that really depends on what you are looking for and how much you want to spend. When I purchased my wetsuit (full body IronMan VO2 Stealth) the full body suits were running around $350 with the short sleeves and sleeveless running significantly less. I bought mine to compete in triathlon relays and for money swims that allowed wetsuits.

For more information, you can search this site for wetsuits, although most of us are biased against wetsuits, as seen in the previous posts. For information biased towards wetsuits, check out some of the triathlon sites.

And where to find wetsuits, they are available online, but if you are getting into your first one, I would recommend finding a bike shop that carries triathlon gear. This way you can try them on before you buy one. You want a snug fit that doesnít feel like it is squeezing the air out of you and you want full range of motion for your arms.

geochuck
March 27th, 2005, 12:53 PM
If it is just for training purposes, I just take a piece of neoprene glue it together with neoprene glue and make it into a tube. Large enough to fit from my thighs to just under my arm pits and get my body into it. If I get too warm I fold it down. I used this when the ice broke in the river I used to train in.

We were not allowed to wear any thing like a wet suit in a race. They are considered to be floating devices.

George www.swimdownhill.com

craiglll@yahoo.com
March 28th, 2005, 10:33 AM
Are there rules about water temperature and iwether you can wear an wetsuit?

Rob Copeland
March 28th, 2005, 11:12 AM
USMS has no water temperature rules regarding wetsuits.

USMS 303.6.3óWet suits may be allowed at the discretion of the meet director. Wet suits generally provide a competitive advantage. If awards are given to wet suit competitors they shall be awarded separately from those for non-wet suit competitors. Any published results or records must clearly indicate which swimmers wore wet suits.

And for USMS National championship long distance events; Wet suit competitors shall be excluded for the purposes of results, club scoring, awards, recognitions and records.

Bobber
March 28th, 2005, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by craiglll@yahoo.com
Are there rules about water temperature and iwether you can wear an wetsuit?

For triathlons in the US, most races follow the USA Triathlon rules. No wetsuits at all above 84F, not eligible for awards if you wear one between 79F and 84F, and no restrictions 78F or lower.

Some triathlons don't allow them for the pro/elite wave if the water temp is above 72F. That is not a USAT rule, though.

SwimBikeRun
March 28th, 2005, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by Swimmy
Hi,
I am thinking of investing in a wetsuit. Any wisdom out there? What style is the best...long, short, sleeves, no sleeves. Where is the best place to find one?

I have a long wetsuit without sleeves. Personally, I prefer no sleeves because I like to have my arms free and it's less restrictive. I don't think sleeveless makes much difference in terms of buoyancy or faster swimming.

If you're in MD, there is a good triathlon shop in Northern Virginia (Falls Chuch) that specializes in wetsuits. They usually have great deals on last year models or closeouts if you don't care about having the newest or best wetsuit. Anyway, the place is called TriBonzai (http://www.tribonzai.com/) if you want to check them out.

Swimmy
March 28th, 2005, 04:21 PM
I appreciate all of the advice! You guys are the greatest!

Happy Swimming!

geochuck
April 8th, 2005, 09:21 PM
Hey Swimmy did you buy the wet suit?

George

Swimmy
April 9th, 2005, 05:37 AM
Geochuck,
I have not gotten a wetsuit yet, but I have done research online. I will probably order it soon.
Thanks, for all the wisdom!

BruceGianniny
May 3rd, 2005, 11:14 AM
Venders are on site the day of the Chesapeake swim

DianaC
May 3rd, 2005, 11:28 AM
Hi Swimmy!

I bought my wetsuit last year for the 4.4 mile Bay Swim at Bonzai sports. They were really good and let me test the wetsuit before I had to commit to it. I ended up bringing the first one back to them and they exchanged it for one without sleeves.

Good luck. See you on June 12!

geochuck
May 3rd, 2005, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by DianaC
Hi Swimmy!

I bought my wetsuit last year for the 4.4 mile Bay Swim at Bonzai sports. They were really good and let me test the wetsuit before I had to commit to it. I ended up bringing the first one back to them and they exchanged it for one without sleeves.

Good luck. See you on June 12!
I have been in over one hundred "Marathon" races in water temperatures from 48 to 80 degrees and have only used a neoprene tube for training when the water was below 50 degrees. Is it OK for every one to wear a wet suit, FLOATING device in a race.

George

DianaC
May 3rd, 2005, 02:40 PM
George,

The Chesapeake Bay Swim allows wetsuits. In fact, I think the majority of participants wear them.

Swimmy - Bonzai offers wetsuit rentals as well, if you don't want to spend the money to buy one.

Diana

Damage Inc
May 3rd, 2005, 02:51 PM
I am a swimmer first and triathlete 2nd. If you went to a triathlon site (www.slowtwitch.com) you would get all kinds of wetsuit advise. For open water swimming events I usually don't wear a wet suit, as you see swimmers frown on them. But in triathlon events I wear my Pro Motion sleevless. This is a great suit and the price is lower than many other brands. I would reccomend a sleevless suit as you maintain the feel of the water on your arms as you pull through the water, and it isnt as restricing to the shoulders.
Yes, wearing a WS can increase your speed by making you float on top and not drop your legs making you more streamlined. In triathlons WS are the norm, so I wear mine to level the playing field.
Good luck

Swimmy
May 4th, 2005, 06:51 AM
HI
I got my wetsuit(full body, long sleeves) now, and I am looking forward to the Bay Swim next month. I was one of the few without a wetsuit last year.
Diana, are you doing the 4.4 mile again this year? Good luck. I would love to meet other swimmers at the Bay. Anyone else going to be there?
Thanks again for all the advice!
Anyone doing the Reston lake swim? I may do that one too.

BruceGianniny
May 4th, 2005, 07:55 AM
we have group of 7 from our club in Rochester going to Chesapeake...one 1st timer and the rest repeaters....16th swim for one (you listening Jim??)

BruceGianniny
May 4th, 2005, 07:56 AM
and can't wait for opportunity to wear my wetsuit again...in salty water no less.....man, am I riding high in the water...lotsa fun

DianaC
May 4th, 2005, 10:22 AM
Hi Swimmy!

Yes, I am doing the 4.4 mile swim. I managed to sign up before it filled up - lucky!

Last year was my first time, and I only made it half-way. The waves were very large and the current was very strong. I really hope we have better conditions this year! Did you finish last year?

I was considering doing it without a wetsuit this year, just because I wasn't cold last year and the wetsuit makes me feel very encumbered. But we will have to see how it goes. I also don't like how high I ride - it feels really weird. I plan to do a few practice swims this year before the Bay Swim, and use the wetsuit. Hopefully I can get used to it.

I did Reston last year, but won't do it this year because it's Memorial Day weekend, and my hubby and I will spend the weekend on our boat. I will probably do some practice swimming, though, off our dinghy. I will just have him dump me overboard and try to keep up.

Maybe we can try to meet up at the swim. Good luck!
Diana

matysekj
May 4th, 2005, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by BruceGianniny
we have group of 7 from our club in Rochester going to Chesapeake...one 1st timer and the rest repeaters....16th swim for one (you listening Jim??)

16? Try 18. Sorry, but my obsessive-compulsive nature just wouldn't let that one go. Swimming this event is definitely habit forming. There should be a warning label on the caps.

Rob Copeland
May 4th, 2005, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by matysekj
16? Try 18. Sorry, but my obsessive-compulsive nature just wouldn't let that one go. Swimming this event is definitely habit forming. There should be a warning label on the caps.

Okay, 18 starts, but how many finishes and how many non-wetsuit swims? All, right?

matysekj
May 4th, 2005, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by Rob Copeland
Okay, 18 starts, but how many finishes and how many non-wetsuit swims? All, right?

17 starts. 17 finishes. This year is 18. I'm kinda stubborn about finishing things I've started. The first 3 were without a wetsuit and the rest with. I figure if the rules allow wet suits and everyone else is benefitting from the added speed, I'd be foolish to not join in the fun. I also agree with Bruce - if something were to happen to me in the middle of the swim, I'd rather have the buoyancy of the wet suit keeping my body afloat to help the rescuers find me. Not something you like to think about, but it has happened to swimmers in open water events before.

Rob Copeland
May 4th, 2005, 12:59 PM
So you finished the year of the great southern tide? Congratulations! That was one fun swim that year.

Wasnít that Fletcher Hankís last year running the race?

matysekj
May 4th, 2005, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by Rob Copeland
So you finished the year of the great southern tide? Congratulations! That was one fun swim that year.

Wasnít that Fletcher Hankís last year running the race?

Sure, if your idea of fun involves swallowing lots of salty water (and then returning that water to the bay) and swimming as hard as you can for an extended period of time perpendicular to the race course. No one knew what we were in for when we entered the water. The following year, under new race management, we knew what was possible. That second year ('92) was about 25 minutes slower for me. A lot of people stopped going to the bay swim after those two consecutive 'hell years'.

BruceGianniny
May 4th, 2005, 02:14 PM
...16..17...18...whatever....does anyone have more finishes?

DianaC
May 4th, 2005, 02:29 PM
16 - 17 - 18 - Wow, you guys are my heroes! This is my second attempt, so far I am 0 for 1, but that will change this year - I can feel it! Keep up the great work! See y'all on June 12.

Rob Copeland
May 4th, 2005, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by BruceGianniny
...16..17...18...whatever....does anyone have more finishes?

I donít think anyone is close to Jim's record, unless itís one of Jimís brothers.

matysekj
May 4th, 2005, 02:56 PM
Actually, Maureen Rohrs and Rod Peltzer have one more than me and Tom and one other swimmer. I keep hoping that they'll drop out one of these years, but they are as stubborn as I am. Maybe I'll be able to sabotage their Internet connections one year so that they can't get in during the mad scramble when entries open...

Swimmy
May 5th, 2005, 05:34 PM
I am in awe of all of you! I am just doing the 1 mile again this year. I have not worked up my nerve for a longer race yet. Maybe I will stick around after my race to watch you finish!
Happy Swimming!

Swimmy
May 22nd, 2005, 01:54 PM
I tested my new wetsuit today at an open water clinic in a lake. The water was 62 degrees....chilly. It was cold even with my wetsuit.
Thanks again for the great advice everyone!

DianaC
May 23rd, 2005, 11:50 AM
Hi Swimmy!

Glad you were able to try out your wetsuit. Did you go to the clinic at Bonzai? I wanted to go, but was not able to. So 62 degrees, huh? Wow, that is quite cold. And it feels colder in freshwater (or so they say). I am hoping it will start warming up a bit before the Bay Swim. Gosh, only 3 weeks to go! Where has the year gone? It seems like just yesterday they were pulling me out at the two mile mark and I was making my vow to get across next year (between curses and a few tears, of course)! Now I am really looking forward to it. Are you doing Reston next weekend? I decided to do it, and even signed up for the one and the two mile swims. That should be a good workout!

Take care and Keep On Swimming!
Diana

Swimmy
May 23rd, 2005, 03:41 PM
Hi
I did the open water clinic at the Reston lake on Sunday. I will be there next Sunday doing the 1 mile. You are daring doing both. Good luck. It was chilly. My face was freezing.
The Chesapeake is only 60 degrees now. Let's hope for a heat wave!

Swimmy
May 30th, 2005, 04:45 PM
Diana,
I looked up your results. Looks like you did well. I was a little behind you....41:24. Congratulations on finishing both races. The water was not as cold as the previous week. It was a fun time.
Good luck in the Bay!

DianaC
May 31st, 2005, 11:52 AM
Hi Swimmy! You did great! We should have tried to meet there, but it was a bit crazy. I did the one mile with the wetsuit, then took off the wetsuit for the two mile. The water wasn't that bad. I am considering doing the Bay Swim without a wetsuit, but I am afraid that it is not going to warm up enough to do that. Plus, I really want to FINISH this time, so maybe I should just practice some more with the wetsuit and get used to it. It really bothers me though. We will see. Have a great day and thanks for checking on me. Where do you swim? We seem to be very close in MD. I swim with the Terrapin Masters at the Univ of MD. If you are interested, I highly recommend a team. Let me know and I could give you some more information, or you can go to our team's website at:
http://www.crosslink.net/~cherylw/

Take care and have a great week!

Swimmy
May 31st, 2005, 03:51 PM
Thanks for the encouraging words. It was kind of crazy at the race. I thought about having the DJ call you over so we could meet...
I went to UM and lived in College Park for many years,so I know the campus pool. Now I swim at a couple different Mo. county pools...Olney, MAC. I talked to someone who swims at Olney and she was trying to get me to join her club.
Maybe...
The water was much better on Sunday than the previous week. I did not feel cold. I think the wetsuit did not help my stroke. It might be too tight on my shoulders. I am still planning to wear it in the bay though, I think.
Happy Swimming!

geochuck
May 31st, 2005, 03:58 PM
Swimmy

My brother went to UM and lived in College Park I nearly went to UM myself. But decided on something else.

Swimmy
May 31st, 2005, 04:03 PM

DianaC
June 6th, 2005, 05:52 PM
Hey Swimmy!

Have you considered doing the Swim for Life, June 18? It is 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 miles, in the Chester River. This will be my first year, but I have heard that it is a great event and very well managed. And the proceeds benefit some very worthy local causes.

I plan to be there. I would like to do 5 miles, but it will just depend on how I feel after the Bay Swim, since it is only 6 days later. But I have also heard that it is not usually as difficult, and the people are great.

Check it out at

www.swimdcac.org

Just keep swimming!
Diana

Swimmy
June 6th, 2005, 06:05 PM
I have read about that swim. I think I am going to pass for this year. I am thinking about doing an ocean swim later this summer www.lmsports.com. There are several in NJ I am considering.
Good luck on your successful completion this yearin the Bay!

DianaC
June 6th, 2005, 06:36 PM
Hi Swimmy,

Yes, I understand. There are a lot of open water opportunities around here. I am doing the Sunfest Swim in Ocean City, MD in September. I did it last year, and it was fun. You just swim parallel to the Boardwalk - 1K, 3K or 5K. It was a fun event. You might want to consider that one too.

I am also doing Big Shoulders in Chicago in September, and the Bonaire Ecoswim in November. Busy summer/fall training schedule, but I have been bitten by the OWS bug and I am hooked!

Good luck to you on Sunday! I did a practice swim at Sandy Point yesterday, and the water really wasn't that bad. I don't think it was any colder than Reston, and it is supposed to stay warm this week. I think it will be fine.

Take care!
Diana

Swimmy
June 6th, 2005, 07:35 PM
I may do Sunfest. I have heard about that one.
BonAire sounds really nice. You will have a blast, I bet. I am envious. I have that open water bug too!
I think the water will be fine Sunday. 68 degrees and climbing....

Swimmy
June 12th, 2005, 08:31 PM
Diana,
Congratulations! I saw on the results page that you finished the 4.4. You must be happy. The bay was rough! I did not do as well as I hoped. Next year...

dvarner
June 13th, 2005, 08:14 PM
Who here thinks that was a big Maytag sale?

Thought I would never get consecutive smooth strokes, completely spastic feeling. And that water doesn't taste too good, either, through the nose or over the tongue.

On the other hand, what a great challenge and wonderfully well-run event. Incredible resources brought to bear for a few hours of personal struggle and fellowship. I swore off The Bay for 14 years after finishing in the miserable '91 but am looking forward to next year already.

Hope everyone else felt rewarded and fulfilled, too and comes back next year.

DV

DianaC
June 14th, 2005, 10:44 AM
Hi Swimmy! Thanks, I am really happy. I have had a stupid grin plastered on my face since Sunday afternoon :-)

I was really worried that all the hard work I had done would not be enough, but it was and I am so ecstatic!

Yes, it was very choppy! Thank goodness, though, the current wasn't nearly as bad as last year.

Did you finish, though? I haven't looked at the results, but did you finish the swim, though you didn't do as well as you wanted to do?

I will definitely be back next year! I am really hooked!

Have a great week!
Diana

Leonard Jansen
June 14th, 2005, 11:22 AM
Diana (and anyone else) -

Are you going to do the Swim For Life in Chestertown on Saturday?

-LBJ

DianaC
June 14th, 2005, 11:54 AM
Leonard,

Yes, I am doing the Swim for Life in Chestertown. Are you? I have never done it before. Do people wear wetsuits? How is the water? Is it choppy like the Bay? I hope it's a fun, easy swim. That will be most welcomed after the Choppy Bay Swim! I have heard it is a great event, but I don't know much else. I plan to do 5 miles, but it will depend on how I feel this Saturday.

Hope to see you there!
Diana

Leonard Jansen
June 14th, 2005, 01:12 PM
Diana -

Yes, I intend to be there, the good Lord willing and the creek don't rise. Look for the decrepit old man with a green "Rainbow Channel Swim" cap on.

They do allow wetsuits, but I doubt that one will be needed for warmth. Speed is, of course, another issue.

It is generally not choppy at all - at least nowhere near the bay. Much closer to a pool swim except... the current. If I am reading the tide chart correctly, it looks like we will be swimming into a current on the way out and then have it with us on the way back, except it will be diminishing somewhat on the way back - no such thing as a free lunch. Generally, the first 1.5 miles out isn't too bad as it is somewhat out of the main flow of the current, but then it gets pretty tough to the turn around point at 2.5 miles. 2 years ago the last 1/2 mile out to the turn around was straight out of a Stephen King novel.

Also, they don't have lots of aid (you need to flag a kayaker over to get some water), so you might want to tuck a Gu packet under your cap. No worries about crowds in the 5 mile - 25 would be a huge field and I think that last year they had something like 13 (?).

They have adequate bathroom and post-race shower facilities, to boot. The food is usually GREAT, but anyone in the 5 mile race tends to be last pig to the trough.

This is about as low-key as races get. Don't go expecting a lifetime best, but the scenery and people are second to none. The race t-shirts are usually funky (and nice). Personally speaking, I find this race much more enjoyable than the Bay swim and have done it 4 times so far.

Hope to see you there.

-LBJ

Swimmy
June 14th, 2005, 03:50 PM
Diana,
Yes, I finished the 1 mile....48:53. I did better last year. will definitely do it next year again. I had lots of fun.

Leonard,
I am passing on Chestertown this year, but maybe next year I will give it a try. Good Luck!

dvarner,
Yes, A Maytag washer definitely! The bay did have a yummy taste of diesel fuel from the boats perhaps? That is what some people were saying after the race.

Happy Swimming!

DianaC
June 15th, 2005, 05:32 PM
Hi Leonard! I will be there! I am hoping the weather will cooperate - they are calling for scattered thunderstorms - yikes! I will look for you. So we have to bring our own caps then? That's not a problem.

Hi Swimmy! I am glad you made it - Congrats! It was really choppy out there, but it was a lot of fun. I took gingerall tablets the night before and the day of the race, so I had no problem at all with seasickness. I recommend them highly if you are prone to that. And I really could have done without the diesel flavoring - yuck! I only really noticed it toward the end, so it must have been really bad for you 1-mile folks. I don't think it was that bad for us until the end. So are you going to train for the 4.4 swim next year? You can do it! Start training now, and you'll be ready!

Have a great day!
Di

Swimmy
June 15th, 2005, 06:02 PM
I remember feeling a little sick after the race last year. Maybe I drank too much water. This year I felt great afterwards. I know other people who were sick. I will pass on that ginger tip. I may do it as a preventative measure next year. I am thinking the boat that put out the buoys went right where we swam. Others were talking about the taste of the water too.
No....I don't think I could do 4.4. I will do the one again. I am a chicken.....Perhaps I will think about the 2 mile in Reston....
Happy Swimming!
Swimmy:)

Leonard Jansen
June 16th, 2005, 07:36 AM
Originally posted by DianaC
Hi Leonard! I will be there! I am hoping the weather will cooperate - they are calling for scattered thunderstorms - yikes! I will look for you. So we have to bring our own caps then? That's not a problem.

LOL - No, I meant that when out of the water I usually wear a green baseball cap that says "Rainbow Channel Swim" on it. They DO provide swim caps that are color coded to the event you are swimming - at least they have in the past.

Anyway, see you there.

-LBJ

DianaC
June 16th, 2005, 11:21 AM
Hi Leonard - OK that was a chlorine-induced blond moment on my part! :-) Glad you got to LOL tho.

I wish I would have seen your message - I went this morning and bought a bright pink silicone cap because I thought if we have to provide our own, I prefer non-latex. Oh, well. What an airhead!

I will look for you. I am really looking forward to the swim. See you there!

Diana

u352
June 17th, 2005, 06:31 PM
I am a rookie swimmer and have worn a wetsuit for my bay bridge crossings. Three attempts and two succesful crossings. Eventually I will go with out one but every attempt has been tough.

For some people it is tough to do it with a wetsuit while for others the the wet suit gets in the way.

Remember too that for some people a swim like that is an epic event in their lives.

Swimmy
June 18th, 2005, 08:22 PM
Diana and Leonard,
How did the Chestertown race go? Did you wear wetsuits? It was a nice day for a race.

Leonard Jansen
June 20th, 2005, 08:56 AM
Diana and Leonard,
How did the Chestertown race go? Did you wear wetsuits? It was a nice day for a race.

For me, at least, it went very well. Having said that, I'll also say that I have no idea of my time or my place. But I did exactly what I needed to do to feel like I'm on track for the Manhattan race. The weather and water were beautiful and the scenery was great. Nice people, good food at the end. The only downside was the current, which was pretty strong on the way out.

I did a strong, but relaxed, pace on the way out, trying to keep near the shoreline so the current would be less. (Although at one point, I had to sprint to break out of a flow that was holding me almost in place.) On the way back, I felt really good and hit the warp drive button. So much so, that by 4 miles I had caught a guy who had been 250 yards ahead of me at the turn around and then beat him in by at least 200 yards. The outgoing current had started to abate by the 4 mile mark - no free lunches in life.

I didn't wear a wetsuit - I never do. It's just not the same "fun" with one. (Your mileage may vary.)

I'm not sure why the race isn't more popular, although the fact that they only give 3 awards for each race and the current issues may have something to do with it. Put it on your schedule for next year!

-LBJ

u352
June 20th, 2005, 09:07 AM
Leonard-How are you? I think that if they pushed it out a week or two it would get more entrants to participate. It is a week after the bay bridge swim.

I made it across this year. It was a tough one!

2:23

Leonard Jansen
June 20th, 2005, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by u352

I made it across this year. It was a tough one!

2:23

T -
Nice job! You are definately coming along quite nicely. Yes, I heard that it was rough. Three of the guys that I swim with who did it ended up chumming the fish and they said that a number of others did too. Ick!

Yes, the SFL IS a bit close to the Bay swim, but still, there are plenty of people who didn't make the cut at the Bay swim who could go to SFL instead. They used to hold SFL in July and had larger fields, so I'm not sure why they changed it.

Keep up the great work and hope to see you at some other race.

-LBJ

u352
June 20th, 2005, 01:28 PM
Thanks-Any other events coming up?

Leonard Jansen
June 20th, 2005, 01:56 PM
Manhattan on 9 July. After that, I'm not sure since I don't know how I'll recover... or if I'll still be alive (we could start a betting line on this - it's a natural over/under).

Hopefully, Rainbow Channel Challenge on 6 August. A nice race if you feel inclined to drive from MD to the Atlantic City area, BTW. After that???

You?

-LBJ

Swimmy
June 20th, 2005, 02:50 PM
Good job, u352!

Glad you had a good swim, Leonard. I will plan on Chestertown next year. I wish it was not so close to the bay swim though. I may do the Rainbow Channel swim. Is that one good? My family lives near there.

Happy swimming, everyone!

Leonard Jansen
June 20th, 2005, 03:08 PM
I may do the Rainbow Channel swim. Is that one good? My family lives near there.

Yes. Highly recommended. Fun course around an island and twice under the bridges for route 9 and the Garden State Parkway. They allow the evil wetsuits but handicap them a few minutes to try and even it out. If I do it this year, as I intend, it will be my 9th year in a row and that says alot since I tend to not go back to the less interesting/fun races.

http://www.rainbowchannelchallenge.com/

Another really good one in that area (that I'll miss this year):

http://www.acacswim.org/2005%20Bridge%20to%20Bridge%20Entry.htm

-LBJ

u352
June 20th, 2005, 03:16 PM
Good job, u352!

Glad you had a good swim, Leonard. I will plan on Chestertown next year. I wish it was not so close to the bay swim though. I may do the Rainbow Channel swim. Is that one good? My family lives near there.

Happy swimming, everyone!

Rainbow Swim-Where is that?

Leonard Jansen
June 20th, 2005, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by u352
Rainbow Swim-Where is that?

Somers Point, NJ - near Atlantic City.

Swimmy
June 20th, 2005, 03:22 PM
I may have to think about that one on July 2nd. I may already be up there then. I already had researched about the Rainbow Channel one. I am also thinking about some of the ocean races up there too.

u352
June 20th, 2005, 03:25 PM
Swimmy-Thanks for the kudo? Did you swim in it this year?

Swimmy
June 20th, 2005, 03:35 PM
I did the one mile at the Chesapeake Bay this year and last year.

u352
June 20th, 2005, 03:38 PM
Next year will be a good year to do the 4.4 miler. I predict calm water with a tail wind.

BruceGianniny
June 20th, 2005, 05:27 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Leonard Jansen
They allow the evil wetsuits but .......

-LBJ

I don't understand why everyone badmouths wetsuits...do you not wear goggles either 'cause they make a swim more enjoyable?? I love the feeling of being up on top of the water..what's the problem with that??

LindsayNB
June 20th, 2005, 09:58 PM
I think the key difference is the speed advantage, goggles don't (directly) make you faster. I enjoy the feeling of swimming with fins, but I don't expect to be able to wear them in races.

BruceGianniny
June 21st, 2005, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by LindsayNB I enjoy the feeling of swimming with fins, but I don't expect to be able to wear them in races.

But if everyone in the race wore them, to be competitive, you'd probably wear them too....actually, I think that'd spice up a meet...add a fin/kicking race...our sport could use some novelty...is that why open water swimming is growing in popularity?? (It seems to me to be growing anyway) It's a variation on a theme...not the same old strokes up and down a pool....add wind, waves, temperature variation, opaque water, WETSUITS(!), drafting etc to keep it interesting..

Anyway, it's fun to see how polarizing the wetsuit issue is...the "evil wetsuit" camp seems to be championed by a purist-chic that I don't get...vive la difference

u352
June 21st, 2005, 08:04 AM
It is just the purists expressing themselves thats all. I don't take offense to it. I recognize my lack of experience and hope that they do to.

Its not all bad though so keep it real!

BruceGianniny
June 21st, 2005, 08:08 AM
]Originally posted by u352---
It is just the purists expressing themselves thats all. I don't take offense to it. I recognize my lack of experience and hope that they do to.

Its not all bad though so keep it real! [/QUOTE]

got no problem with purists I guess....why can't we just all live happily together in a wetsuit clad world??? hehehehe

Leonard Jansen
June 21st, 2005, 09:09 AM
Bruce -

The "evil wetsuit" comment was made somewhat tongue-in-cheek. Admittedly, my arrid sense of humor doesn't come across easily in emails/posts. As I have stated before, my position is that although I prefer not to wear one, I can see that others might. Furthermore, I also understand that alot of races allow them to be worn for either practical/safety reasons (e.g. they don't want to pull 100 hypothermic swimmers from the water) or financial reasons (e.g. they will attract a larger field and raise more $ for whatever charity they work with.) I also don't really care if I get beaten out for an award because the 3 guys ahead of me in my age group were wearing wetsuits - I have a small crate of awards from my track & field days.

Yes, to each his own path and those who wear wetsuits will face their punishment along with those who practice unnatural things (fly, back, and breast) come judgement day. ;)

-LBJ

BruceGianniny
June 21st, 2005, 10:13 AM
Leonard....

Actually, I assumed your comment was made with a wink (and I appreciated it as such) but I just took the opportunity to get up on my soapbox and drum up some discussion...the anti-wetsuit issue is held pretty dearly by a lotta folks...and I don't quite understand why....well...I guess I'm just as pro as others are anti...however, it's fun to discuss......by the way...I'm with you on the unnatural breast stroke....

fatboy
June 21st, 2005, 11:03 AM
Bruce, here's a link on fin swimming competitions

http://www.worldgames2005.de/en/sportarten/trendsport/flossenschwimmen/

DianaC
June 27th, 2005, 11:30 AM
Hi everyone! Finally back from a week's vacation, and lots to do but wanted to check in. The Swim for Life was a fun event, but as Leonard said the current was quite swift. I did the 5 mile event, but just barely made it. In fact, I was officially disqualified because around 4.5 miles (I was at the 1-mile turn-around buoy), the rescue boat came up to me and said they had orders to pull everyone from the water. I protested as much as I could, but got in the boat. They radioed to shore, and were able to let me get back in the water to finish it on my own. I wish they would have radioed before I got on the boat, but I really wanted to finish it on my own. I was quite upset. I didn't realize there was a time limit, and that we would be pulled. I think DCAC needs to specify that next year. My pace was good, though, right around my Bay Swim pace, but it was 5 miles! I ended up finishing it in 3.5 hours, but actually a bit less than that if you subtract the time I spent arguing with the boat people.

I wore a wetsuit, but kinda wish I hadn't. I think the water was so warm that it might have actually slowed me down a bit. Not sure, but I think so. And you really didn't need to worry about drowning out there - it was so shallow most of the time I could touch the bottom, and even stroked mud a couple of times.

It was a good swim though, and I will probably do it again next year. But since I will probably do the Bay Swim the week before, I may just do 3 or 4 miles, instead of 5. Not sure - will have to see what next year brings.

Now I am ramping up to get ready for the Ecoswim in Bonaire. I signed up for the 10K, so I want to be ready for it. Plus, I don't think I will wear a wetsuit for the Ecoswim. I have a feeling there will be more "purists" there.

Swimmy - you might want to consider the Sunfest Swim in Ocean City, MD in September. They have 1K, 3K and 5K swims to choose from, and it's really a fun swim along the Boardwalk.

Diana

Leonard Jansen
June 27th, 2005, 01:37 PM
Diana - Sorry to hear what happened. I've never heard of them closing the course before, so it may be that the marine police had to leave. Regardless, it is something that they should mention. Perhaps email Dason Nash with the suggestion.

WRT the Sunfest Swim - Yes, it is fun, but depending on where they start it and if the tide is low, the start can be very rough. It is the only swim I've ever dropped out of (in 2000, I think). They were pulling kids ouf the the surf right and left and I had to pick up and carry a 15 year old girl out of the surf. By the time I got her to a lifeguard, I figured that it wasn't worth making a safety boat wait just for me, 200+ yards behind the last swimmer when others might need it more. But I did it the next year and it was fine. Go figure.

-LBJ

Swimmy
June 27th, 2005, 05:13 PM
Diana,
Sorry your swim did not go that well. They should not have made you get out. That was wrong. I think everyone should be able to finish even if they are not really fast.
I don't think my wetsuit helps me go faster. I think I will only use it when the water is really cold like at the Reston swim. I probably did not need it for the Bay swim.
I will think about the Sunfest.
Good luck training for Bonaire. I was looking at that website. It looks like you will have so much fun!

Swimmy
July 31st, 2005, 01:45 PM
Leonard,
Are you doing the Rainbow Channnel Swim this year?
I think I may go up for it...

Leonard Jansen
July 31st, 2005, 07:13 PM
Allyson -

Yes, I am, but that is dependant on the weather and any last minutes crisis issues here.
But as of now, yes.

-LBJ

Swimmy
July 31st, 2005, 09:16 PM
Any advice for the Rainbow Channel Swim?
A :)

Leonard Jansen
August 1st, 2005, 08:00 AM
Any advice for the Rainbow Channel Swim?

1) At the start, you have to cross a few hundred yards perpendicular to the tide. The tide will be at the very end of incoming at race start and you might have to fight it slightly to get to the island, but it will probably be minor.
2) Pay attention to the race course instructions because they seem to change how they want you to finish every year. Last year they had us make a beeline from the end of the island to the finish and that is the shortest distance. However, in the prior two years, they did other things, so who knows what it will be this year.
3) Parking can be tight. Be sure to obey the parking signs because the police will ticket you if you don't.
4) If you wear a wetsuit, they make you start several minutes after the non-wetsuit people. Not sure which category you are in, but again, they will give instructions at the start.
5) Have fun.

Hope to see you there.

-LBJ

Swimmy
August 4th, 2005, 06:22 PM
I don't think I am going to be able to make it to the swim on Saturday. Too many other things I have to do. Good luck.
We will have to meet at some other swim.
Allyson :)

Leonard Jansen
August 5th, 2005, 11:01 AM
Allyson -

Sorry about that, but life DOES get in the way. I'm sure we will meet up at some point.

I may just "swim through" it as I have a BAD cold, he said, feeling very sorry for himself.

-LBJ

Swimmy
August 5th, 2005, 08:40 PM
Feel better! Take some vitamin C.
A:)

Leonard Jansen
August 7th, 2005, 10:46 AM
Allyson -

Thanks. I did fairly well (won my new age group - I aged up 7 days ago) and had a lot of fun. I also helped monitor the kids 1/4 mile by swimming/walking alongside the kids. That was actually more fun than the race.
Almost didn't get there, though. Some yotz rear-ended me hard while I was stopped at a red light (he was on a cell phone) and pushed me into on-coming traffic. How the traffic didn't hit me, I'll never know. After that, the trunk wouldn't shut/latch and I had to crawl into the trunk through the back seat to chain the trunk shut so I could keep driving to get there.

It was a long day.

-LBJ

geochuck
August 7th, 2005, 11:01 AM
Those rear end accidents can be career enders. I was put out of action for a year. I was a passenger and we were hit from behind then smashed into the car infront. The dash of the car I was in was completely bent out of shape from my knees and of course my knees were both injured to the point that ever after that accident I had washer woman's knees, not a pretty sight. The car a total wreck. Arms, shoulders and neck were very sore for a couple of years after that. However I only stopped racing for one year and was back on the pro marathon cicuit the next year. I was hurting but I needed the prize money more and was still able to win a couple of races and place in the money in them all.

Swimmy
August 7th, 2005, 11:13 AM
Leonard,
Glad your race went well. Sorry you had that accident. Cell phones and driving don't mix. My parents had an accident a few years ago with a cell phone driver who ran a red light. Luckily they were okay.
Geochuck,
Glad you survived your accident too.
Have a great day!

Swimmy
August 26th, 2005, 06:47 PM
Any chance you are doing the September Splash in Wildwood September 17th? Lake Montclair in Va September 10th?

Leonard Jansen
August 27th, 2005, 04:01 PM
Allyson -

Possibly the September Splash race, but not the other. I won't know for a week or so due to other obligations that are looming and that I may not be able to weasel out of.
I think I am going to also do the Pageant Swim next Saturday, as well.

You?

-LBJ

Swimmy
August 27th, 2005, 04:31 PM
I can't make the Pageant swim, but maybe we will meet up at the September Splash!
Happy Swimming!

lapswimmr
September 2nd, 2005, 10:56 PM
Dont Forget a warm swim cap can keep you a lot warmer sans wet suit (Some like the bubble strap style are English Channel legal) as lots of body heat goes out through the head. SF Bay Ca swimmers are in 55 F water all the time. And many only wear a cap

see the page about cold water caps

http://www.geocities.com/lapswimr/coldwatercaps.html

with links to some cold water swim places

FindingMyInnerFish
September 4th, 2005, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by Leonard Jansen
Allyson -

Possibly the September Splash race, but not the other. I won't know for a week or so due to other obligations that are looming and that I may not be able to weasel out of.
I think I am going to also do the Pageant Swim next Saturday, as well.

You?

-LBJ

Sooo looks like I'll miss meeting you guys! I did the Sept. splash a few years ago--total newbie, knew NOTHING about OW swimming, didn't even belong to a masters' group, but a running injury was making me antsy for some sort of a race, and I figured since I could swim a mile in the pool.... I finished 2nd to last (okay, so reverse the order and I get to be second, lol!) in that race, and I'd thought of coming back this year to see how I'd do, now that I have a little masters and open water swimming experience (still slow, I should note, but my swimming looks prettier). ;) However, I have a half marathon the next day, and a crazy weekend altogether. But it would be great to get to an open water swim at some point where I could meet some of you!

Swimmy
September 4th, 2005, 07:59 PM
Sorry you can't make the race. I am excited to meet DianaC at the Montclair race and Leonard at the September Splash. It will be fun to actually meet the real person behind all the online conversations!
FindingMyInnerFish-Do you live up in NJ?

craiglll@yahoo.com
September 6th, 2005, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by Bobber
For triathlons in the US, most races follow the USA Triathlon rules. No wetsuits at all above 84F, not eligible for awards if you wear one between 79F and 84F, and no restrictions 78F or lower.

Some triathlons don't allow them for the pro/elite wave if the water temp is above 72F. That is not a USAT rule, though.

wouldn't you steam in a wetsuit if the water were above 84 degrees?

FindingMyInnerFish
September 8th, 2005, 02:33 PM
Sorry you can't make the race. I am excited to meet DianaC at the Montclair race and Leonard at the September Splash. It will be fun to actually meet the real person behind all the online conversations!
FindingMyInnerFish-Do you live up in NJ?

Actually, southeastern PA. I've been meaning to check on the DV Masters site to see if there are events coming up (pool or open water) that aren't too far from where I live. Not so many close by but maybe even within a reasonable distance, it would be doable.

Or perhaps sometime the Philly/Jersey/Del./Md. posters on this forum will have a chance to meet in a non-swimming setting (with liquids at hand, of course!) ;) Probably less likely than in the water, but still....

Swimmy
September 8th, 2005, 02:59 PM
Finding My Inner Fish,
I live in MD now, but my family lives outside of Philly in NJ. I am up there all the time. We will definitely have to meet someday. I can never find a place to swim up there, because I don't have a Y membership. Most of the places seem to be YMCAs there. If anyone knows of a place to swim, let me know.

FindingMyInnerFish
September 15th, 2005, 03:56 PM
Finding My Inner Fish,
I live in MD now, but my family lives outside of Philly in NJ. I am up there all the time. We will definitely have to meet someday. I can never find a place to swim up there, because I don't have a Y membership. Most of the places seem to be YMCAs there. If anyone knows of a place to swim, let me know.

Hi Swimmy!

Here's a site that give some info on workouts that don't require membership:

http://www.bee.net/dcastell/ValleyForgeMasters.htm
http://www.bee.net/dcastell/VFMWorkoutSchedule.htm

You pay $6 if you're not a member, $4 if you are.

I've never been to any of their workouts...usu. running Sun. a.m. and my distance so far might not be enough to stay with them. But sometime I'm thinking I'll give one of their workouts a try--probably when they're at Villanova--easier for me to get there... also after the Philly Marathon... training for that and many of my long runs are going to be on Sun. a.m.

Swimmy
September 17th, 2005, 08:14 PM
I have had the best week ever! Last week I met Diana C and the Montclair Swim (personal best...38:45 1 mile.... no wetsuit). Then today I got to meet my guru mentor Leonard at the September Splash in Wildwood Crest NJ(another personal best...33:24! 1 mile... no wetsuit) How wonderful it is to meet my internet buddies!
Maybe I will get the chance to meet more of you someday!

continuousharmony
June 21st, 2006, 03:12 PM
I see all this advice for wetsuits, but I'd like to know what size to get for the best movement. At least to use while I'm training.

Thank you

grumpytuna
June 24th, 2006, 02:14 AM
Originally posted by continuousharmony
I see all this advice for wetsuits, but I'd like to know what size to get for the best movement. At least to use while I'm training.

Thank you

The best size is

carriem
July 28th, 2006, 04:46 PM
The best thing to do is go into a store that carries wetsuits and try them on. Make sure that there is enough flexibility in the shoulders for your arms to achieve the full range of motion. Size will depend on your height and weight. Trying wetsuits on is tedious, but worth it to make sure you get the perfect one.

-Carrie

beetle
October 10th, 2006, 08:15 PM
I'm a non wetsuit swimmer but looked at these briefly for neutral bouyancy training in very cold water - I decided to stay in the pool 'til it warmed up instead. But for those with spare cash custom made suits would sure be a luxury.

http://www.snuggwetsuits.co.uk/prframe.htm

The suits are made in Cornwall, UK. Only catch - no trying on but given they are made to measure can't see that would be so bad.

geochuck
October 10th, 2006, 08:26 PM
I am a cheapy just glue together a neoprene tube and pull it on.

sharkbait
January 27th, 2007, 02:00 PM
What's the best wetsuit to buy if you're interested in preventing hypothermia? Signed up for my first long swim (7.5 miles), the water will probably be about 60 degrees, and I have fairly low body fat (5'3, 110 pounds). I don't care about going faster with a wetsuit; with or without one I will probably be dead last (and if so, I will be delighted, as long as I finish), but don't want to DNF because of hypothermia. Thanks!

DianaC
February 1st, 2007, 10:09 AM
Hi Sharkbait! Long time, no chat. I hope you are doing well. Congrats on deciding to do the Potomac River swim. Sorry you didn't get into the Bay Swim, but it was tough. I actually paid extra last year to avoid the lottery, so I am already in and training for it. I don't think I will do that next year. If I don't get in the lottery, I will probably do the Potomac swim next year.

Swimmy and I are planning to do the Swim for Life - let me know if you are going and we can meet up there.

As for a wetsuit, you might want to go with full coverage, since you tend to get cold easily. I don't get cold as easily, and I really don't like wearing my wetsuit at all because I feel so constricted. For you, though, it will probably be a must-have item.

Actually, a fellow swimmer won a wetsuit from Bonzai at the Reston Swim last year, and she is trying to sell the voucher (already has a wetsuit). Let me know if you are interested, and I can try to put you in touch with her. I don't think she has sold it yet, but I can confirm if you want. I bought mine at Bonzai and was really pleased. They let me buy it and try it out during a swim, then I returned it and got one without sleeves. They were really nice. I think they just put the one I returned into their rental section, no problem. They were really cool about it.

Send me an email if you still have it. Otherwise, send me a private message and I will get back to you.

Take care!
Diana

Julie Roddin
February 1st, 2007, 10:35 AM
I bought mine at Bonzai and was really pleased. They let me buy it and try it out during a swim, then I returned it and got one without sleeves. They were really nice. I think they just put the one I returned into their rental section, no problem. They were really cool about it.

Bonzai will be having their annual Road Show on March 17th. I've bought several from them and they have a great selection, especially at the Road Show. I pretty much tried on every single wetsuit they had in my size. Mark has been in the business for years and knows so much about them that he'll be sure to get you in one that meets your needs. Here's info about the Road Show... http://tribonzai.com/page.cfm?PageID=69

sharkbait
February 3rd, 2007, 01:40 PM
Hi Diana, it's great hearing from you! I sent you a message - yes, I'm interested in your friend's wetsuit voucher if she hasn't sold it yet.

Actually I think I might have a better chance of finishing the Potomac swim than the Bay Swim, because although it's longer, there are no time limits (I checked previous years results, and a few finishers took over 7 hours), and although I'm slooow, I can go on and on... and having a kayaker to do the navigating and stop for feeding should make things easier too (I'm going to have to practice drinking water and eating while treading water...)

Unfortunately I'm going to be in Kentucky the week of the Swim for Life, or else I'd do that one, too.

I probably will go with a full coverage wetsuit. There's a triathlon shop in VA Beach that carries wetsuits, so I'll try renting one with long sleeves and seeing if it's too constricting on my shoulder (my right shoulder's been hurting/ popping; can't tell if it's because of lousy technique or an old injury). But I doubt if I could finish without one. Last Sept. at Lake Montclair I was fine while in the water, but as soon as I got out, I was verrry cold.

I'm thinking of joining a group to train with. There's a Masters group at the Y we belong to, but they are all sprinters, and the time doesn't fit my schedule. But there's another group that has triathletes and several Bay Swim finishers; sometimes they do a timed mile as part of their workouts, which are three days a week. A friend from the track club who finished the Bay Swim four times (once third place in age group) told me about it - I'm thinking of joining even though it's a 30 minute drive each way. Maybe that would be better than training on my own. How do you train for your long swims?

Good luck with the Bay Swim!

Sandra

prune
April 19th, 2007, 09:43 AM
Can anyone give me some info on bodysuits, esp. the higher end ones like Fastskin? 1. do they create drag over long distances in open water? 2. do they keep you warm at all? 3. are they more useful for hairy dudes? Thanks

Malfox
April 26th, 2007, 09:41 PM
I'd love to hear about the fast skins too.

While I'm a vetran swimmer - my last personal competition was 20 years ago in college. I was persuaded to do my first open water (3-miles) June 30 - in Pleasant Prarie WI.

Thus I'm looking for any and all tips - there are some great ones here. Thanks.

prune
April 27th, 2007, 10:18 AM
Hey Malfox - Maybe I'll see you at Pleasant Prarie in June. From what I've learned, it doesn't seem that the Fastskins create drag over longer distances, they don't keep you warm to any significant degree (no pun intended), and they should help streamline the hairy among us. You can also get new and used ones on ebay at good discounts. Call Kiefer.com for sizing. Good luck

MikeGarr
April 27th, 2007, 02:07 PM
I think the open water swimmers would definitely benefit from a fastskin. It doesn't matter if it's open water, it's all water. If they benefit hairy guys in the pool, the same applies to the open. I may try it this summer. I used my first one this year in the pool and I beat alot of my seed times, but especially in the longer distance events. The older guys say it prevents the excess fat motion drag as well as the hair issue.

Muppet
May 2nd, 2007, 11:38 PM
I've seen people use fastskins in open water, but never asked them about it. My initial reaction is "why would you ruin it by swimming in this crappy water?" But certainly if the suits were purchased explicitly for open water races, their use makes more sense. I can't imagine they were created for use in salt-water.

I can see where the benefit might come with speed, but for the mens side, I have heard a lot of talk of overheating during distance events in the pool in the full body fastskin-type suits. I would think most open water events, being 1mi+ would have the same issue.

As for the hair issues, wearing a wetsuit should alleviate both of those problems. If not allowed, shave. Tri's usually keep themselves pretty well clipped March to October around here - no reason not to do regular trims as swimmers!

I've gone speedo only in 75 degree lakes and a pair of 1mile bay swims, and donned a wesuit for the last two years' 4.4 mi swims. I don't think it hurt me not to have the fastskin on.

prune
May 8th, 2007, 12:03 PM
Well I bought the new FS Pro or whatever Speedo calls the latest fastskin and don't like it at all. Chafing under the arms in the pool at around 3 miles and distinctly colder both in and especially out of the water. It also seems to trap sweat somewhat, but your skin remains cold, which is an uncomfortable sensation. Anyone want to buy a bodysuit?

irishpolarbear
May 8th, 2007, 12:08 PM
I am a cheapy just glue together a neoprene tube and pull it on.Iím even cheaper than George. I just add a layer of subcutaneous fat and some fur.

Malfox
May 10th, 2007, 12:03 AM
Hi Prune - I will be at the June 30 event in Lake Andrea. It is my first open water and I'm hoping to adopt this as a new hobby.

I did get some encouagement this morning from a tri-athlete at the pool that by early July Lake Andrea is generally pretty warm (75-80 degrees) so end of June we should be okay without a wet suit or fastskin.

~ Mal

geog
April 4th, 2012, 09:38 PM
bump