PDA

View Full Version : Tempe Town Lake Water Temp?

69gscal
May 3rd, 2005, 03:39 PM
With the weather getting warmer I'm about ready to head for the lake for my workouts. Anyone know what the lake temp is?

Kae1
May 3rd, 2005, 06:44 PM
I didn't think they allowed swimming in the lake except for special events like the triathlons.

Kae (who wound up with a nasty sinus infection after last year's Fat Tire swim)

69gscal
May 3rd, 2005, 07:53 PM
Oh really? This will be my first summer here and I thought it'd be fun to do my training in open water instead of the pool.
But if sinus infections and such are the norm after taking a dip in Tempe Town Lake, I may steer clear of it all together.

Kae1
May 5th, 2005, 12:13 PM
I don't know if sinus infections are the 'norm' (I only did it once), but I do believe that the City of Tempe does not allow swimming in the lake except for special events. Something about the slope grade along the edges being too steep. If you look at Tempe's web page, I think there's more information.

Personally, after being in Arizona for 4 summers, I would try to find a pool that was *cooled* in the summer. A lot of outdoor pools (and lakes) can get uncomfortably warm in the summer (up to 90). If you're near Tempe, I believe there's a masters team that practices at ASU and I'm pretty sure they have good temperature control on their pool.

Welcome to Arizona in the summer. It takes 2 years to acclimate, and then you'll join the rest of the state convinced that 85 is perfectly pleasant and coats are required for any day under 60. :D

Kae

mbmg3282
May 24th, 2005, 08:32 AM
69gscal,

The water temperature in Tempe Town Lake is now in the high 70's. Kae is correct that the lake is not normally open for recreational swimming. There are however, a number of open water swim races that will take place on the lake (June 11, July 16, August 20 and October 1). We will have an open swim time around 4:00 pm the day before each of these races.

I have put on event at the lake for the past 2 years and Kae is the only person out of over 700 participants that has contacted me with a sinus problem, so I believe sinus infections are not the norm.

You might also want to try some of the other lakes near Phoenix such as Saguaro Lake and Lake Pleasant. These do allow swimming outside of special events.